Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mike Bailey diagnosed with dementia

2»

Comments

• Sollydog said:
    Met him a few times, was the Landlord of the White Horse in Woolwich Rd when it was a decent pub, yet another ex pro falling to Dementia, while Taylor and his cronies at the PFA have done nothing......
    Excuse me but how do you know that Mike’s affliction is anything to do with him being a pro footballer?
    My late mother in law had dementia and I don’t think she was a pro footballer in her younger days so an ex footballer getting it may just be a coincidence 
    Anyone can get it, however it seems that if you were a pro footballer you have more of a chance of getting it.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55102721

• Sollydog said:
    Met him a few times, was the Landlord of the White Horse in Woolwich Rd when it was a decent pub, yet another ex pro falling to Dementia, while Taylor and his cronies at the PFA have done nothing......
    Excuse me but how do you know that Mike’s affliction is anything to do with him being a pro footballer?
    My late mother in law had dementia and I don’t think she was a pro footballer in her younger days so an ex footballer getting it may just be a coincidence 
    Anyone can get it, however it seems that if you were a pro footballer you have more of a chance of getting it.
    More chance of getting it or more chance of it being made public and somebody saying it’s because he used to head a football ?
  • Sollydog said:
    More chance of getting it or more chance of it being made public and somebody saying it’s because he used to head a football ?
    Why don't you read up on the issue a bit if you're interested?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55102721

This explains some of the concerns and it mentions Mike Bailey in the article so it's relevant to the thread.
  • edited November 2020
    To bring this thread back on track, I'm so very sorry to learn of Mike's illness. He was my boyhood hero barrel chested half back and captain, an England international who went on to greater things with Wolves during his playing days. He also got us promoted from the third tier in short but  a successful spell as manager. Had the great pleasure of finally meeting and chatting to him in hospitalty about ten years ago. My thoughts are with him and his family.
  • RedChaser said:
    To bring this thread back on track, I'm so very sorry to learn of Mike's illness. He was my boyhood hero barrel chested half back and captain, an England international who went on to greater things with Wolves during his playing days. He also got us promoted from the third tier in short but  a successful spell as manager. Had the great pleasure of finally meating and chatting to him in hospitalty about ten years ago. My thoughts are with him and his family.
    I wasn't aware it had gone off track? 
  • edited November 2020
    RedChaser said:
    To bring this thread back on track, I'm so very sorry to learn of Mike's illness. He was my boyhood hero barrel chested half back and captain, an England international who went on to greater things with Wolves during his playing days. He also got us promoted from the third tier in short but  a successful spell as manager. Had the great pleasure of finally meating and chatting to him in hospitalty about ten years ago. My thoughts are with him and his family.
    Really? You referred posters to the 'Shearer - Footballers with dementia' thread earlier, why not keep this one titled 'Mike Bailey' specifically to Mike's personal situation and association with this club? Just my opinion.
  • So sad great memories of him.
  • I was lucky enough to see him play a few times although probably too young to fully appreciate all his qualities, but even so I knew he was good and better than most of the rest.

Sad news. Dementia is distressing but there can be moments of loveliness and light too even if few and far between sometimes.
  • Very sad.   Mike was a brilliant player for us and a good manager.   
  • I was shocked reading the stats regarding the probabilities of footballers developing neurological disorders, and we only hear about the relatively famous or ex players like Mike, Matt Tees and Bob Curtis. As for Mike at Charlton, never saw him play but a good friend of mine, the captain of that promotion winning side in 81, assured me that the best player in that side was Mike Bailey, they couldn't get near him in training matches. Hope they arrest his deterioration somehow, thoughts are with Mike and his family.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Really? You referred posters to the 'Shearer - Footballers with dementia' thread earlier, why not keep this one titled 'Mike Bailey' specifically to Mike's personal situation and association with this club? Just my opinion.
    Get out the wrong side of the bed today mate?
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    No mate, same as usual, I'm a creature of habit.
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    No mate, same as usual, I'm a creature of habit.
    Pleased to hear it, keep smiling.
  • Never saw Mike play for Charlton but had many a happy night with him while at The Valley Club during the years we played at Selhurst. Always remember him for wearing a sheepskin coat.

Stay strong Mike and family.