Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maurice Setters RIP

Sadly passed away today. He played a few games for us in the early seventies.

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    That’s sad, seemed quite a character, RIP
  • Options
     Avery hard man...past his best when he came to us, but did a job when Peter Reeves was injured. RIP
  • Options
    another man of many clubs, we were his last .. R I P
  • Options
    Was surprised when we signed him being high profile in those days albeit the end of his career.

RIP
  • Options
    If I recall correctly he had taken quite a few knocks before he joined us. Right leg looked like some badly welded metal rods, and didn't quite face in the same direction as his left leg. Hard as they come.

RIP
  • Options
    Could be a dirty bugger if required ......he was as tough as a boiled owl though.
  • Options
    RIP, One tough old sportsman
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    If I recall correctly he had taken quite a few knocks before he joined us. Right leg looked like some badly welded metal rods, and didn't quite face in the same direction as his left leg. Hard as they come.

RIP
    I always remember how bandy legged he was, and my Dad shouting out to him, "Oi, where's your 'orse?"

He was a tough nut alright as a DM, but the poor bloke could hardly run anymore.

RIP Maurice

• Options
    Remember him well from my informative years. Not the greatest of players but someone you’d never forget. RIP Maurice 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I seem to remember that when he ran out of the tunnel, that was his fastest speed. RIP Maurice. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    RIP. 

He started at Exeter and was snapped up by West Brom after 10 league games. 

He was in the preliminary England 40 man squad for the 1958 World Cup although he never won a full Cap. He was transferred to Man Utd in 1960 and he won the FA Cup Final against Leicester in 1963. He lost his place in the team to the emerging Nobby Stiles a couple of years later and left for Stoke and Coventry before arriving at the Valley in 1970.

He played briefly with Theo Foley at Exeter which probably led to his move in 1970 as Theo was Firmani's number 2  . Ironically Theo became manager after Maurice's last game I guess for Charlton he will be remembered like John Barnes, Jesper Blomqvist, Joe Ledley or Aiden McGready in that he was clearly an outstanding player in his prime who was well past his best when he played for us.

His managerial career involved being number 2 to Jack Charlton for the Republic of Ireland at two World Cups. 
  • Options
    Maurice Setters along with Ron Saunders were hard old school footballers.

George Curtis of Coventry was probably the hardest footballer I can recall for the opposition when he kicked one of cafc forwards into the stands.

RIP Maurice you can meet up with Nobby Stiles and have a kick around on Cloud 9.
    I guess you will kick lumps out of each other but shake hands at the end.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    I remember old bandy legs Maurice.
    It's players like him that enable me to gauge when I first started going.
    He signed in 1970.
    RIP.
  • Options
    I remember old bandy legs Maurice.
    It's players like him that enable me to gauge when I first started going.
    He signed in 1970.
    RIP.
    Yep, half a century ago. That's all.

• Options
    I remember him well.
    Rip.
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I remember being on Huddersfield Station after seeing us lose a meaningless end of season game 1-2 (Mark Stuart) and "Walthamstow Avenue" (an old, tie wearing, regular away fan) pointing out Maurice Setters sitting on a bench. I think Setters was scouting for Leeds at the time or was possibly Assistant Manager there. He looked tough and not one to be trifled with. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Another distinctive Charlton player gone.

Anyone who saw him play will remember those unmistakable bandy legs carrying him to the action that moment too late.

As others have said he was a very decent player in his time but, to use the modern vernacular, his legs had gone by the time we got him.

RIP Maurice.
  • Options
    As above ..he was noticeably past his prime when he played for us but a fine footballer RIP 
  • Options
      R.I.P  Maurice.    I remember you well.

Just as others have said you came to the Valley with a glittering career behind you.

Sadly it was obvious injury had shackled his body.
    He hopped around with one bandy leg and one straight leg, a never to be forgotten sight!
    Not sure but probably had a badly broken leg.
    He captained Man United I believe. 
  • Options
    Wasn't his first game for us away at selhurst & looked quality, sadly he was never as good again. Tough old character though RIP Maurice
  • Options
    Remember him playing slow and bow legged but still good on the ball and very hard 
  • Options
    I think that we were suffering an injury crisis in central defence (some things never change) and my recollection is that Theo Foley, who had just taken over, got Maurice Setters in on a short term deal until the end of the season.

He looked a bit knackered but I seem to remember reading that he got a vital equaliser for us at Bolton when the ball got stuck in a puddle and he managed to jab it home.

He had some great years afterwards with Jack Charlton, which must have been a lot of fun.

RIP
  • Options
    I saw him training in Charlton Park pre season. Slowest player I have ever seen. Dragged one leg as if he had a chronic problem. Jack Charlton rated him though!