Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else want to see Anneke and Bogle up front together?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Maybe 2nd half ;)
  • Options
    Aneke/Smyth and Bogle/Washington have shown that they can be effective pairings, so quite happy watching them rotate 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    50% yes.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Not from the off. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    ME
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    In games like this I'd quite like to see Maatsen further up the pitch. With so many CBs out, shame we canmot easily resort to 352.
    With Pearce back we could play him in a three with Gunter and Pratley. Maatsen and Mathews wide.
  • Options
    Gutted I can’t go to this one as not been to Burton. Missed it two years ago as I was on a business trip, was able to watch on the Burton IFollow got a load of strange looks when I cheered Pearces last minute winner at breakfast surrounded by a load of Aussies. 

Last Tuesday in November is the same day as last time and will go for the same result. A Charlton win got to be beating this type of opposition. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Aneke/Smyth and Bogle/Washington have shown that they can be effective pairings, so quite happy watching them rotate 
    Too similar for me, neither will run in behind or press from the front. Both want the ball to feet and are best paired with a small partner that can make runs that stretch the back line. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of those games that if Charlton score first then they should go on to win. If we go behind or the games drags on 0-0 then it will be tough as I'm sure Burton will be delighted with a draw and will pack their defence and make it hard for us to break them down. 

• Options
    Form has us as clear favourites.

Need to stay switched on though and Im sure LB will make that clear.

3-1 Charlton 

Bogle (even if it shuts the social media morons up) Smyth & Pratley. 
  • Options
    Although it's not necessarily the front 6 I would pick I think we should stick with it for 3 or 4 games. 

What's the point of working on something for 10 days only to discard it after an hour?

Empty the bench after an hour to either change it or save something for Saturday. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I would be very interested to see how it works. 
  • Options

3-1 Charlton 

Remember this is Charlton ;)
    The word Favourites and Form sometimes don't work with us..
    Still have them for a 0-3 win though.
  • Options

3-1 Charlton 

Remember this is Charlton ;)
    The word Favourites and Form sometimes don't work with us..
    Still have them for a 0-3 win though.
    Haha tbf its weird that we are the ones in form!!
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing that, we're also yet to See what Washington can do with a pacey partner that can pass up top. 

65 mins make the changes.
  • Options
    I think the way Bowyer is talking about Bogle, he is likely to start with him in most games and swap for Chuks a bit later.
  • Options
    If fancy Bogle and Maddison to be on the scoresheet tomorrow. We’re playing a team that’s bottom of the league, hit by Covid, short on cofindence ..... 3-2 to Burton #ThisIsCharlton 🙄
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    We’ve got to look at taking 3 points here, but this is Charlton!

Start strong lads and get the game won early.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A must win game, and one which I expect us to win

I imagine Bowyer will rotate a bit, he does like managing the minutes for certain players. 
  • Options
    Alarm bells ringing if we don’t win this. Burton are no mugs but you’ve got to be getting 3 points here if you want to get promoted automatically.

Ideally you wouldn’t change the team too much but with Ipswich at the weekend it’s best to keep things fresh(ish).

• Options
    Alarm bells ringing if we don’t win this. Burton are no mugs but you’ve got to be getting 3 points here if you want to get promoted automatically.

Ideally you wouldn’t change the team too much but with Ipswich at the weekend it’s best to keep things fresh(ish).

Have you got Levitt and Pratley in the wrong positions?, everyone on here says levitt cannot tackle, so not ideal for a CB or CDM
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Have you got Levitt and Pratley in the wrong positions?, everyone on here says levitt cannot tackle, so not ideal for a CB or CDM
    Yeah it’s CDM not CB, it does look misleading. I’ve put him there so he has a chance to dictate play from deep. Pratley is more than capable of being a ball winner slightly further up, he’s played right side of the diamond multiple times - although I do prefer him at the base. 

I’m trying to squeeze Levitt in because if he can’t get a game against bottom of the league he’s hardly going to play against anyone else. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Yeah it’s CDM not CB, it does look misleading. I’ve put him there so he has a chance to dictate play from deep. Pratley is more than capable of being a ball winner slightly further up, he’s played right side of the diamond multiple times - although I do prefer him at the base. 

I’m trying to squeeze Levitt in because if he can’t get a game against bottom of the league he’s hardly going to play against anyone else. 
    I agree with you but for slightly different reasons. We need someone to move the ball, preferably forward, quicker. I think that's what Levitt is ment to do.

The blend in midfield isn't quite right.  "Bowyer ball" has worked best when he has had a 6, a 6.5, an 8 and a 10 as the diamond. The 6.5 needs to be able to keep the ball moving. At the moment it's a 6, 2 8s and a 10 at best.

In the 2 games last season against Forest they got back into the game when Watson moved 10 yards up the pitch.  There is no point having 5 attacking players if you can't get them the ball early and in the right places.  Your probably better off with 4 and actually get them the ball. 
  • Options
    0-2 to CAFC and plenty of subs on to keep the top players fresh for Ipswich on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    mendonca said:
    In games like this I'd quite like to see Maatsen further up the pitch. With so many CBs out, shame we canmot easily resort to 352.

With Maatsen 3-5-2 is possible. Matthews can be the other wing back.

We should create a hatful of chances in this league if we can play on the front foot more. Keep crosses coming in from both sides and Aneke can score on a consistent basis( in the minutes he's on the field.)
    Bogle is still finding his feet. Washington needs quality passing to his feet from midfield, Morgan and Maddison should both score goals if they can see the goal from 20 yards or nearer. Gilbey is box to box but is rusty. Smyth works well with feeding Aneke but does not appear to be a goal scorer so far in his League career.

Will be disappointing if 3 points aren't secured because we need to boss this game for 90 minutes plus added time and score at least twice.

Our chances of being a top 2 automatic promotion side could go for a Burton if we lose against teams at the bottom.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I would agree that if you can't play Levitt against the top sides, and can't play him against the big physical Route 1 sides, that doesn't leave many games where you would play him, Burton surely being one of them
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I would agree that if you can't play Levitt against the top sides, and can't play him against the big physical Route 1 sides, that doesn't leave many games where you would play him, Burton surely being one of them
    If he doesn’t start tomorrow then that all but confirms to me that he’ll be going back on January 1st.