Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Superb interview, made me well up at times.

Thanks Benjy.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    What a great read, emotional and fun, just like a good interview should be.
  • Options
    V v good. Love Sasa!
  • Options
    Amazing story.  A great character, who has played a big part in Charlton's history.
  • Options
    That’s a brilliant read 
  • Options
    Great read and well done Benjy.👏👏👏
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    A dream of a two years period for Ilic.

How many of the 35k Charlton at Wembley said "he's saved it" as their first words on saving the penalty.
  • Options
    A bit like when you held the British tiddlywinks championship title two years running back in 1996.
    Heady days mate......sadly you peaked too young.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Fantastic interview. What a guy. Had the pleasure of meeting him once and he was a real gent. Glad he's doing well in life. 

Obviously we all remember Wembley, but do you remember those clean sheets leading up to the final - he seemed unbeatable. 

He might have shone briefly, but it certainly was brightly.
    I always think his best moment was Ipswich play off away. Second half , 1-0 up, under the cosh, and possibly by then down to ten men, an Ipswich midfielder unleashed an absolute piledriver. Any keeper would have been happy to tip it round the post. But Sasa, leaping to his right, held it, even when he crashed to the ground. He hadnt had that much to do up til then but you saw the effect on the Ipswich players. They saw that the legend was for real. And I was sure we were going to Wembley.

Fabulous interview, I must try and get down to his gaff one day.
    Remember it well, unbelievable save, heading for the top corner I think.
  • Options
    A bit like when you held the British tiddlywinks championship title two years running back in 1996.
    Heady days mate......sadly you peaked too young.
    I couldn't lift one now :'(
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Fantastic interview. What a guy. Had the pleasure of meeting him once and he was a real gent. Glad he's doing well in life. 

Obviously we all remember Wembley, but do you remember those clean sheets leading up to the final - he seemed unbeatable. 

I always think his best moment was Ipswich play off away. Second half , 1-0 up, under the cosh, and possibly by then down to ten men, an Ipswich midfielder unleashed an absolute piledriver. Any keeper would have been happy to tip it round the post. But Sasa, leaping to his right, held it, even when he crashed to the ground. He hadnt had that much to do up til then but you saw the effect on the Ipswich players. They saw that the legend was for real. And I was sure we were going to Wembley.

We'd like to as well. It is very beautiful and we stayed a few k away round the other side of the bay.  We visited Perast and said we would return and stay in Perast. The scenary is stunning
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Yes. One of the best saves I've ever seen - or least it seemed so at the time.
  • Options
    Great read. Really enjoyed it - can still picture that penalty save.
  • Options
    Great article and what a fantastic journey of life. 

Would love to bump into him at the Valley. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

We'd like to as well. It is very beautiful and we stayed a few k away round the other side of the bay.  We visited Perast and said we would return and stay in Perast. The scenary is stunning
    How did you travel there? Drive from Dubrovnik, or another way?
  • Options
    Wonderful interview, great guy and it brings back so many fond memories. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I had the pleasure of meeting him at his hotel/retreat 3 years ago while on a touring holiday in Montenegro.

A meeting I will always remember.
    As others have said he's a real gentleman.

Btw the village where his retreat is located is a stunningly beautiful place, of course the views from his gaff are superb.

It's the village of Perast in the gulf of Kotor.

Thanks for the memories Sasa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went looking, but could not find any online video of the Ipswich-Charlton game for that save.

But in the process I found a great 12mins of the 3-3 vs Man U :-)
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

How did you travel there? Drive from Dubrovnik, or another way?
    We drove from Dubrovnik. Obviously   necessiitsted a border crossing and a longer drive but it didnt take long and the drive was stunning mostly. Flight options and costs were better