Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WWII Medal Cleaning Advice

I'm going to get my Grandads medals from WWII mounted in a frame for my mum and wanted to give them a bit of a clean and wondered if anyone has done this and had any advice. I know there are a lot of views about this after searching online from using an eraser to using brasso to leaving them alone. Also the ribbons are original but could do with a bit of a clean up too. Any advice would be welcome.

Medals are:
1939-1945 Star (yellow copper zinc alloy)
France & Germany Star (yellow copper zinc alloy)
Defence Medal (cupro-nickel)
War Medal 1939-1945 (cupro-nickel)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Surely best to leave as is, more authentic and representative of time and experience?

If I was looking at a framed collection, that’s how I’d like to see them. Not spruced up, not sure why, but feels slightly disrespectful to the person who fought and was awarded them.
  • Options
    Surely best to leave as is, more authentic and representative of time and experience?

If I was looking at a framed collection, that’s how I’d like to see them. Not spruced up, not sure why, but feels slightly disrespectful to the person who fought and was awarded them.
    Agree, you’ll never get the patina of all those years back and they’ll look far more authentic.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    I'm going to get my Grandads medals from WWII mounted in a frame for my mum and wanted to give them a bit of a clean and wondered if anyone has done this and had any advice. I know there are a lot of views about this after searching online from using an eraser to using brasso to leaving them alone. Also the ribbons are original but could do with a bit of a clean up too. Any advice would be welcome.

Medals are:
    1939-1945 Star (yellow copper zinc alloy)
    France & Germany Star (yellow copper zinc alloy)
    Defence Medal (cupro-nickel)
    War Medal 1939-1945 (cupro-nickel)
    I’m sure that Clive Harris will comment at some point. I think you can be sure his advice will be 100%.
  • Options

Not sure I'd say it's disrespectful by taking care of them and displaying them after they've been in a box for donkeys years but realise there are wide opinions. I'm not trying to make them look brand new and wouldn't want to do anything to degrade them in any way just would like to remove some of the dirt, the stars are the one that need a clean I think the other two just need a gentle clean up.
  • Options

i think it's very respectful to have them framed and displayed in honour of the man who earned them. I'd leave them alone cleaning wise though.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

i think it's very respectful to have them framed and displayed in honour of the man who earned them. I'd leave them alone cleaning wise though.
    I’m not referring to the framing which I agree is respectful.

Im referring to the cleaning, perhaps I didn’t make that clear.
  • Options
    Thing is if you cleaned them, how quickly will they tarnish again.....maybe you would have to spray them with some kind of metal varnish protection; if there is such a product?
  • Options
    If you want to clean them then I would suggest doing it very gently at first; soapy water and a cotton bud. And try the back of the medals first, just so you can see if you like how it's coming up.

Plenty of stuff online,  but make sure you dont go too far, or else theres no bringing it back.
  • Options
    Oh, and I cant see how its disrespectful to want to clean them. It's not as if you were asking about spraying them gold to bling them up.

At the end of the day they're yours to do with as you see fit.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Oh, and I cant see how its disrespectful to want to clean them. It's not as if you were asking about spraying them gold to bling them up.

I simply said that was how I felt, not that he shouldn’t do it, let’s stop putting words into people’s mouths.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s a lovely idea. My Grandfathers Medals from WW1 are intact with ribbons but are with my Aunt in Australia. Despite me having visited her three times over the years she has never thought to show them to me. If I’d known he’d fought in the Great War I’d have of course asked to see them but I only discovered he had about six months ago. Next time I’m over I’ll see them.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I simply said that was how I felt, not that he shouldn’t do it, let’s stop putting words into people’s mouths.
    Lol,  I'm not putting words into anyones mouth. You said you thought it seemed disrespectful and I disagreed.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Lol,  I'm not putting words into anyones mouth. You said you thought it seemed disrespectful and I disagreed.
    And then you added it’s up to others to do what they want.

And I never made a claim that they weren't.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

And then you added it’s up to others to do what they want.

And I never made a claim that they weren't.
    I literally have no idea what you're going on about and suggest you read what I said again.

But anyway, for the record, I suggest it's wrong for you to have used the word "disrespectful" in this context. 
  • Options
    My father never collected his medals, I think it was his protest.

I think he was so disgusted about how servicemen were treated by the government on their return to civvy street, that he chose not to accept.

In hindsight I also think like many he suffered with PTSD, it would explain a lot of his uncharacteristic behaviour.

I’ve got his service book and have often thought about claiming them but always think I should honour his decision.
  • Options
    Its a personal thing but I would dust but not polish campaign medals, they are made of cupro nickel or a copper alloy so shouldn't tarnish too much, gallantry medals are mainly silver so can be polished. 

If you do want to polished them, I wouldn't use brasso but Goddards silver polish and a cotton bud. 

As for the ribbons, again dusting is preferable, new ribbons are easily obtained but the originals are best. 

If you are framing and have the cardboard box they were issued with, or the paper slip they came with, keep them or even frame them with medals, as WWII medals are unamed on the rim, its the only provenance you will have for future generations. 

Hope that helps
  • Options
    @UEAAddick needs to look after his great grandfather's WW1 medals better.