Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derelict London

2»

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Superb pics … the Derelict London book is great 
    Paul said that his next book should be released next year. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    as a nipper I used to play on the many bombsites and abandoned buildings still around  the Lewisham area in the 1950s/early 60s
    That reminds me of stories my dad used to tell me. He was born in 1940 and spent his childhood playing in the bombsites dotted around Pimlico. 

When I think of derelict land in London it reminds me of the river walk I used to do between Charlton and Greenwich. It was amazing how much waste land there used to be there even 10-15 years ago.
    and of course the docks were a huge abandoned area for years .. my friend's house in Surrey Docks (now posh Quays lol) backed onto the docks. We used to clamber over the back wall and wander around for hours, silent as the grave with the huge abandoned cranes and empty warehouses where flats now sell for hundreds of thousands. There was no security at all, no lights, had to watch you didn't take a false step and end up in the drink
    Amazing when you think The Long Good Friday was about an idea to redevelop the docks. 
    Any excuse to post this ....

https://youtu.be/UlN0D3NV42g
    Absolute classic stuff from the sadly missed and much admired Bob Hoskins……….(Harold Shand).
    Would love to have seen a sequel to TLGF…..it was very much on the cards at one point.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    as a nipper I used to play on the many bombsites and abandoned buildings still around  the Lewisham area in the 1950s/early 60s

Me too, Lincs - plenty around Plumstead and there was one directly opposite Earl Rise School Junior entrance.
    I remember cycling down the craters near Blackheath in the ‘50s
    We called them the dips.
    I used to live 1 minute away.
    Dug to create ballast for the ships being built at Woolwich i believe.
    Anyone know if this is true or not or how they were formed.
    We called them the dips and also known as cowboy land.
    I lived 5 minutes away, but that was over 40 years ago.
    My mum told me that they were unfilled mass graves leftover from the plague, but I always thought 
    they were bomb craters.
    Created by a frightened Luftwaffe bombardier who missed Woolwich to get out of town, quick.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Old sand/gravel pits I believe.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Interesting, but my old grifter help to make those tracks well before BMX had reached our shores! ;)
  • Options
    Would love to do a Millennium Mills tour
  • Options
    Blackheath Plateau..... Will be a good name for the housing estate they eventually build over the dips.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Would love to do a Millennium Mills tour
    https://lookup.london/millennium-mills/

Always loved this building - such a waste.
  • Options
    Enjoyed a great tour with Derelict London this morning in the Millennium Mills at Royal Victoria Docks. Having been empty since 1983, they’re about to go ahead with a huge conversion to a retail space. The highlight of the mill was the view from its roof. 

Photos not great, but you can just make out The Valley in one of them. 

Great photos. I'm amazed that a conversion to retail is viable now, considering how much retail has collapsed in the last year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyed a great tour with Derelict London this morning in the Millennium Mills at Royal Victoria Docks. Having been empty since 1983, they’re about to go ahead with a huge conversion to a retail space. The highlight of the mill was the view from its roof. 

Great photos. I'm amazed that a conversion to retail is viable now, considering how much retail has collapsed in the last year
    Agreed - any retail scheme seems a huge risk.
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    Off_it said:
    Interesting, but my old grifter help to make those tracks well before BMX had reached our shores! ;)
    Used to live on the estate at the back. Drove past last week and nothing is visible of the dips it’s now a forest. Wonder why it’s happened only in recent years. Must be kids don’t play out anymore and people don’t walk anywhere.

• Options

Just take a look at the new shopping complex at the O2 Arena. Every time I’ve been there it has felt completely empty.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Just take a look at the new shopping complex at the O2 Arena. Every time I’ve been there it has felt completely empty.
    I live near there and it generally is pretty empty. Makes no sense to locate it so near Stratford.

Can't see the sense of a retail complex on the other side of the water with little footfall.
  • Options
    My ex used to live near Millennium Mills. I recall there was a fire about two years ago there. Did that damage it at all?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Me too, Lincs - plenty around Plumstead and there was one directly opposite Earl Rise School Junior entrance.
    Lived in Tewson Road, Plumstead. Great bomb site opposite we played on. Later St Nick's A&E built on it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Lived in Tewson Road, Plumstead. Great bomb site opposite we played on. Later St Nick's A&E built on it.
    Used to live on Riverdale, would cut through the hospital grounds and down Tewson to go to school, St Pats. Remember the old workhouse, was a great place to play.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My dad was born at number 73. Though that's before there would have been a bomb site. I seem to remember going back with him when I was a kid and him being disappointed that the house wasn't there.