Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen

Comments

• Options
    In hindsight offering Gunter and Watson 2 year deals to take out a large chunk of the wage cap budget was a poor decision.
    To be fair when we signed Gunter, how many people thought it was a poor signing?

He'd just turned 31 (so not exactly old), had spent his entire career in the top 2 divisions and had played almost 100 times for Wales. He should've been pissing this league.
    Agreed. I thought it was a great signing at the time and even more so when a week later (might have been longer than that) we also signed Matthews. That position should have been one of our strongest this season. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    james beadle is third choice keeper in first team squad now at charlton, another sidcup boy and he's 16 - we need to build a hungry team of talented youngsters who can move up through the divisions together 
    What has happened to Nathan Harness the previous 3rd choice keeper, I heard he was meant to be very good?
  • Options
    In hindsight offering Gunter and Watson 2 year deals to take out a large chunk of the wage cap budget was a poor decision.
    To be fair when we signed Gunter, how many people thought it was a poor signing?

He'd just turned 31 (so not exactly old), had spent his entire career in the top 2 divisions and had played almost 100 times for Wales. He should've been pissing this league.
    I think that’s the problem - he was at least partially signed based on his name and career. How much was based on him watching him over the last year or two?

He was a squad player at Reading playing 20 or so games a season, he’d have been a player doing a job in a decent lower half Championship team.

Putting in 7/8 out of 10 performances in every week in a side going for promotion is very different, he has to offer something on the ball and going forward more than he did in the Championship.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    james beadle is third choice keeper in first team squad now at charlton, another sidcup boy and he's 16 - we need to build a hungry team of talented youngsters who can move up through the divisions together 

JohnnyH2 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    What has happened to Nathan Harness the previous 3rd choice keeper, I heard he was meant to be very good?
    Harness is a very good keeper, as is Maynard-Brewer, i would be very happy to see either keeper in the the first team next season.
    James Beadle must be much lower in the pecking order as Harvey & Osaghae have both made under 23 appearances this season.
  • Options
    clive said:
    DOUCHER said:

JohnnyH2 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Harness is a very good keeper, as is Maynard-Brewer, i would be very happy to see either keeper in the the first team next season.
    James Beadle must be much lower in the pecking order as Harvey & Osaghae have both made under 23 appearances this season.
    We have several u23 keepers so I wonder if one or two are being released. If so that could explain Beadle moving up the pecking order. Alternatively maybe we’re keeping some of them but expect to loan them out.
  • Options
    How many of those signings looked poor on paper ? I’d argue only Bogle - with no pedigree of scoring goals whatsoever.  We were no doubt bargain shopping but even then , I’m convinced we’d have been top 2 if one of Innis and Famewo had played through mid season, whoever was manager. 
  • Options
    Watson not in 2 year deal .. it was one year with an option of another year .... think we should keep Watson and release Pratley 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Indeed the biggest disappointments have been the "big fish" players that we'd been after for a while, the likes of Gunter, Watson and Maddison. They weren't last minute signings (like Bogle) where we were scrabbling for bodies, but rather players we'd targeted for a long time - Watson waited all summer for us, while we had wanted Gunter and Maddison last season
  • Options
    We keep talking as if it’s Gallen alone but I’m confident that Nigel Adkins will have very much his own ideas and list. 
  • Options
    We keep talking as if it’s Gallen alone but I’m confident that Nigel Adkins will have very much his own ideas and list. 
    True - although the players around in his pomp are all ten years older 
  • Options
    And Ged Roddy
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We know there is now a four man recruitment team.
    Gallen
    Roddy
    Adkins
    Sandgaard

Or GRAS for short

And all four have to agree on a player and that includes Sandgaard who is doing more than just signing the cheques. He said he's watching videos and has said no about at least one player.

So are four heads better than one or do many cooks spoil the broth?

Does it make a difference that they will have a bigger budget, months to prepare and a long term plan based on playing a certain way.

But we know they have already been looking at players and had lists for either division at least a month ago.

• Options
    Think the manager has to say what players he wants. If Gallen comes up with someone its then down to negotiating the deal, if the player wants too much for our budget then it's the chairmans/owners decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice Breads, Range Rovers and Bitches,
    Tommy’s taking us from ESI rags to ESL riches
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    We know there is now a five man recruitment team.
    Gallen
    Roddy
    Adkins
    Sandgaard
    Ackworth

Or GRAS for short

And all five have to agree on a player and that includes Sandgaard who is doing more than just signing the cheques. He said he's watching videos and has said no about at least one player.

So are five heads better than one or do many cooks spoil the broth?

Does it make a difference that they will have a bigger budget, months to prepare and a long term plan based on playing a certain way.

But we know they have already been looking at players and had lists for either division at least a month ago.

No Henners, it is :

Roddy
    Adkins
    Gallen
    Sandgaard
    Ackworth

The clues are all there 
    we are going from Rags to Riches 

ESL 2 has got our name on it. 
    Edited that for ya!
  • Options
     He said he's watching videos and has said no about at least one player.

Where has he said this? That's disturbing.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

Disturbing? What about the context...

Why did he say no?

Perhaps the transfer fee or wage demands didn’t seem good value?

Or maybe had another very similar option (DJ or Stockley for example) and went for him instead?

Did he overrule Bowyer, Gallen and Roddy? Or did any of them agree with the decision?

If it has turned out to be a mistake has he learnt from it?

We’ve been under a salary cap under both windows since TS bought the club and made the most of it, so it seems likely it was a decision that resulted in us signing someone else over the player he said no to.

We’ve seen enough to know he’s completely different from RD, we haven’t had a stream of budget players coming over from Denmark and his contacts.

What we haven’t yet seen is how serious he is in the transfer market with plenty of time to plan and no restrictions - that’ll become clear over the next two months.
    When he said it I took it to mean he said no to a player we were looking at for this summer, not in the last window.

"Recruitment

TS is building much better recruitment systems based more on information and metrics and more independent of agents.

There is now a team of four consisting of Steve Gallen, Ged Roddy, Nigel Adkins and Thomas Sandgaard.

Who gets the final say?  "There are four people involved now, Steve, Ged, Nigel and me"  "I'm very involved, I have looked at videos and stats and I've turned people down. We need all four people to agree to a deal."  "But Steve Gallen is one of the best negotiators I have met in my life, he's key to getting players and getting good prices when we sell players."

Other people on here were at the meeting so maybe they took it differently 

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4287855#Comment_4287855
  • Options
    Gallen
    Roddy
    Adkins
    Sandgaard

Or GRAS for short

And all four have to agree on a player and that includes Sandgaard who is doing more than just signing the cheques. He said he's watching videos and has said no about at least one player.

Gallen finds the players

Adkins
    Roddy
    Sandgaard

Then have to approve them. With his long experience of U23 football I think Jason Euell should be consulted too, to create the ARSE committee
    Or
    Steve
    Thomas
    Adkins
    Roddy

and you have the Star Chamber

• Options
    The impression I get is that Gallen is a "contacts and contracts" type of guy.

He seems to have good contacts at clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal and seems to get good info on players clubs are prepared to release, and even pay off.  Williams, JFC, Page and Inniss wouldn't have signed if their former clubs hadn't "helped" us out.

What we don't have, at the moment, is anyone that has been involved else where in league 1 for the last few years.  One of the big advantages Powell had was that he had played against, or with, a lot of the players he signed.  At worst he had managed against them in the previous 6 months. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

Disturbing? What about the context...

Why did he say no?

Perhaps the transfer fee or wage demands didn’t seem good value?

Or maybe had another very similar option (DJ or Stockley for example) and went for him instead?

Did he overrule Bowyer, Gallen and Roddy? Or did any of them agree with the decision?

If it has turned out to be a mistake has he learnt from it?

We’ve been under a salary cap under both windows since TS bought the club and made the most of it, so it seems likely it was a decision that resulted in us signing someone else over the player he said no to.

We’ve seen enough to know he’s completely different from RD, we haven’t had a stream of budget players coming over from Denmark and his contacts.

What we haven’t yet seen is how serious he is in the transfer market with plenty of time to plan and no restrictions - that’ll become clear over the next two months.
    I assumed the context Henners gave in his post, around him watching videos... If he's doing that and turning players down based on his assessment of their skill level, I find that worrying. 

As CL's self-appointed number one Driesen despiser, I can honestly say that Tommy D was more qualified for that job than Tommy S.
  • Options
    Gallen
    Roddy
    Adkins
    Sandgaard

Or GRAS for short

Biggest worry I have about the summer.