Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Tindall (Bournemouth)

Not an R I P ..

After a mention on the manager sackings etc. thread, I though it time to shed more light on Jason's career.

Jason Tindall is another product of the CAFC youth system who never made is as a first teamer for the Addicks but went on to have a good playing career on the south coast with the Cherries.
He played alongside ex manager Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and then worked for many seasons as Howe's assistant at both Bournemouth and Burnley.
After Howe left at the end of last season following the Cherries relegation from the Premier League, Jason became another ex CAFC academy player to be appointed as the manager of a Premier/EFL club.
He has a nice parachute pot to play with (unless the owners confiscated most of it) and it'll be interesting to see if he can get the Cherries straight back up despite losing, amongst others, Nathan Aké and Callum Wilson, albeit for a good few quid. I suggest that Howe exceeded most people's expectations during his managerial spell and wonder if Tindall can now do the same starting in the ultra competitive English Championship.

Lastly, other than being ex CAFC  Jason Tindall is another professional who played for what most be the most productive amateur youth club in the country, SENRAB, which was founded by his father Jimmy. So many wheels within wheels .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senrab_F.C.

Simon Francis, another one late of the SE7 parish has retired from playing and is now on Bournemouth's recruitment staff. Let's hope he doesn't come sniffing round Sparrows Lane after some young, or for that matter, more mature talent ((:>)

Comments

• Options
    It really was the end of an era with relegation, Howe leaving and a number of senior pros going as well. Francis had an amazing career at Bournemouth, 324 games, something nobody would have expected after he left us
  • Options
    For one of the favourites for promotion, they really are struggling in front of goal - in 10 of their 12 games this season they have scored either one or no goals.

They are missing Wilson but, even so, with the likes of Josh King, Domonic Solanke and Arnaud Groeneveld one would have thought that they would have more goals in them. Perhaps the loss of Ryan Fraser and Harry Wilson hasn't helped either. 
  • Options
    He was part of the youth team when I was still painfully statty and geeky about all things Charlton and seeing as how many youth players got a chance in the first team I expected him, Jamie Kyte, Paul Linger, Dowson all to feature in the first team at some point. 

He was manager at Weymouth for a bit and I remember a few ex charlton youth players would pop up there. Danny Phillips and Adam Cotterell are 2 that spring to mind 
  • Options
    For one of the favourites for promotion, they really are struggling in front of goal - in 10 of their 12 games this season they have scored either one or no goals.

They are missing Wilson but, even so, with the likes of Josh King, Domonic Solanke and Arnaud Groeneveld one would have thought that they would have more goals in them. Perhaps the loss of Ryan Fraser and Harry Wilson hasn't helped either. 
    Solanke is yet another example of how overhyped young English players end up going for crazy sums  

Howe did a brilliant job with his lower divisions players but Solanke was a shocker, at £19m
  • Options
    Carter said:
    He was part of the youth team when I was still painfully statty and geeky about all things Charlton and seeing as how many youth players got a chance in the first team I expected him, Jamie Kyte, Paul Linger, Dowson all to feature in the first team at some point. 

He was manager at Weymouth for a bit and I remember a few ex charlton youth players would pop up there. Danny Phillips and Adam Cotterell are 2 that spring to mind 
    Jamie Kyte is a name I remember well.  We also had Lee Hodges (Plymouth and West Ham briefly I think) and a striker called Les Birt who had almost legendary status in my Sunday league, looked amazing in training but never made it.  
    It just goes to show that ability alone isn’t enough.  You need a bit of luck and the right mentality too.
  • Options
    @Swisdom I've always been edgy about how football academies and youth set ups can function. Especially if no clearly talented players get identified because essentially all the players in the same squad as someone like Lee Bowyer, Scott Parker, Shelvey etc are only there as extras, supporting actors so the lead can be given a stage and then all cast off when the main man gets their contract 

I think when I watch a proper shitkicker of a professional that they would have been the best player at their school, often scored 100plus goals every season for their kids side and fast forward 10 years they are a clogger of a journeyman centre half 
  • Options
    There is one question about talented sportsmen that, I must admit, I hadn't considered until it was put to me by a coach and that is "How much does he want it?".

By that he meant - how much does he really want to be a pro? How is he proposing to get there? Is he prepared to look after his body, watch what he eats, stay fit etc? Is he happy to stay in, on occasions, when all his friends are out enjoying themselves? Is he mentally prepared for all the setbacks - the loss of form, being out of favour, the injuries and subsequent weeks if not months in the treatment room? Does he understand that there is a less than glamourous side to it - the travelling, the nights in hotels twiddling your thumbs, the time away from his family? Does he understand that the average length of a pro's career is just eight years? But most of all - is he prepared to go through all of that in the knowledge that it might never happen?

For many talented kids, when faced with those questions, reality strikes. So far, they have been there for the ride. And thoroughly enjoyed it too but the older they get the more relevant those questions become. 

Some undoubtedly do make it but the common theme is that those identified at 11 as the ones that are going to make it aren't necessarily the ones that ultimately do so.

They fail to make it for just one reason - they wanted it alright, but just not enough. And talent alone only gets you so far.
  • Options
    Lots of interesting comments, memories and opinions, good stuff ((:>)