Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth | Saturday 7th November | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

FA Cup First Round
Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle
Saturday 7th November 2020... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Neil Hair

Introduction
Well the express train to the Championship continues to rumble on, two wins in the last few days doesnt just take our run of form to six wins on the trot, yet it is also three wins on the trot against the failed Play-Off sides from last season, the signs that Charlton can last the pace are there so its important to keep momentum going. This Saturday means we can now take pause of the League, rest players who'll potentially be on International Duty in the next week and give opportunities to those who have had to wait patiently whilst their team mates steal the spotlight; its FA Cup First Round day!!

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle | Manager: Ryan Lowe
Division: League One (10th)
Last Season in the FA Cup: Second Round

Making the long trip up to South East London are Plymouth Argyle, newly promoted from League Two this summer it seems a theme that we face promoted sides in Cup encounters this season... Enough though about League talk, this is an opportunity to take a break ourselves from the exciting form we find ourselves in and enjoy a couple of performances without too much concern of the result.

As already mentioned; Plymouth would reach the Second Round of the FA Cup last season, both ties would see them facing League One opposition where they would first defeat Bolton Wanderers before drawing (and losing a replay) with Bristol Rovers - In terms of historical performances this has never been a competition that our opponents have excelled at, a 1-0 defeat at home to Watford in 2006/07 would see them bow out of the cup at the Quarter-Finals, their one and only appearance at that stage... Plymouth though do know how to get beyond this round, only once since 2012 have they lost in the First Round, a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Carlisle United who ironically would go on to face our neighbours: Welling United.

So in terms of the Manager: Ryan Lowe is a figure who is building a steady reputation for himself... the ex-Striker (known for spells at various League clubs) would end his career at Bury before moving into the Management role in 2018/19, his first season would see the Shakers promoted back to League One where they were then thrown out of the league - He would move South to Plymouth where again he achieved promotion in his first season, a bit like our own Lee Bowyer, Lowe is a manager to keep an eye on in the future!!

Charlton Team News
So its pretty obvious that Bowyer is going to shake things up but just who comes in the squad and who gets a rest... Whilst he barely needs a break; Ben Amos could very well be sidelined with Ashley Maynard-Brewer given an opportunity to show if he can yet hack it at this level, the Australian youngster could well be joined in the starting line up alongside fellow youngster: Aaron Henry and James Vennings.

Else where and it could well have been an opportunity for Ben Purrington to come up against his brother: Tom, yet thats not possible anymore with the latter having signed for Bromley, you'd still expect the former to get some game time considering our lack of options at Left-Back... This could well be a chance too for Marcus Maddison to finally get some minutes and show the potential we all know he has, unfortunately going by commentary against Fleetwood it feels as though this game could be one match too soon for Jason Pearce, who'll no doubt be hoping for some minutes in the EFL Trophy next week!!

Maynard-Brewer
Matthews | Inniss | Pratley | Purrington
Morgan | Levitt | Forster-Caskey
Maddison
Smyth | Bogle

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Henry | Vennings | Aneke | Watson | Pearce | Wiredu

Prediction
Well we all know how much Lee Bowyer rates the FA Cup, last time we were in League One we made it to the Second Round before losing to Doncaster, our Manager after that game wasnt bothered in the slightest about the result and I doubt he'll be too bothered this time around either... If things can go to plan its an opportunity to get the League encounter against Ipswich Town moved forwards and so avoid fixture congestion around Christmas, this is a competition that must be respected but there are bigger battles to come!!

No injuries and no suspensions needed this weekend boys, lets give the ref reason to keep his hair on!!

Comments

• Options
    Expecting this to be a similar style team to that which went out against West Brom in January, mostly u23 with a handful of seniors who need minutes. Not expecting us to show this competition any respect at all but funny feeling we'll sneak a win we don't really want

• Options
    Id love to see someone like Dylan Gavin getting involved either Saturday or in the EFL Trophy, even if he gets left on the bench, has been amongst the goals this season for the U18s and think it would be a nice reward for him to get that First Team experience

Bowyer did similar with Doughty in 2018/19 when we played Gillingham at the Priestfield where he was left on the bench just to get a feel for things
  • Options
    Barker, I think
    Only played because his age meant he didn’t count as a first team player. Ness and Mingi play ahead of him for the u23s.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The predicted team only features one youth player, I'd expect to see a few more in there. 

I know Bogle is still gaining fitness but surely he needs a rest after a run of Saturday-Tuesday games. Aneke will need minutes after his lay-off.

Inniss had a rest last week so could start, but is there any point? 

Pratley surely has to be rested. 

Smyth could probably use some more minutes. 

Really not bothered about this one. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I think Bogle could start. He will get a rest afterwards and a run of games can help him get up to speed. I would expect something like this which is close to Forever Addicted's prediction. That doesn't look too weak to me.
                                  Amos/M-B
     Matthews          Barker         Inniss             Purrington
                                        JFC
                        Morgan               Levitt

Smyth                           Maddison/Williams
                                       Bogle

Aneke, Vennings and Maddison/Williams on the bench.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Scoham said:
    Barker, I think
    Only played because his age meant he didn’t count as a first team player. Ness and Mingi play ahead of him for the u23s.
    Are they better though?  @Scoham
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    But he came in and took his chance with elevated him above them.
  • Options
    Bows has mentioned how difficult the Saturday/Tuesday games have been, so I am certain he will use this opportunity to rest some key players whilst giving those who need minutes a chance. 

• Options
    I can’t see us risking any of Inniss, Gunter & Pratley given the shortage of fit centre halves. Expect the starting line to include 8 or 9 of AMB, Matthews, Barker, Purrington, Levitt, JFC, Vennings, Morgan, Maddison & Smyth. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The predicted team only features one youth player, I'd expect to see a few more in there. 

I know Bogle is still gaining fitness but surely he needs a rest after a run of Saturday-Tuesday games. Aneke will need minutes after his lay-off.

Inniss had a rest last week so could start, but is there any point? 

Pratley surely has to be rested. 

Smyth could probably use some more minutes. 

Really not bothered about this one. 
    Wouldnt be surprised if Vennings starts, I would have started Henry too but he played in the Youth Cup last night so part of me think he'll be on the bench at best as a result 
  • Options
    Always an odd feeling when you want your team to lose, but the league is far more important, and it’s a point well made by @ForeverAddickted with possibility of fitting in Ipswich game earlier. 
  • Options
    I've got no idea what team Lee will put out, as some players need a rest, while with others like Bogle and Chuks, do they need a rest or do they need minutes to build up sharpness

With the international break, the non internationals will get a break anyway, so Lee may use this and the Pizza cup on Tuesday to build up sharpness

We do seem a bit light up top, with Washington rested, the U23s don't seem over blessed with strikers either. Looking at the U23 page of the website, 13 players are listed, 3 of them goalkeepers with Aouachria and Clayden the only strikers
  • Options
    Win on penalties. Maynard-Brewer the hero again. Should have enough to field a decent team without risking injuries to some key players. Would be good if Pearce makes the bench but probably won't appear until the Orient game. 1-1. Win on penalties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMB, Matthews, Barker, Mingi, Purrington, Levitt, JFC, Williams or Morgan, Maddison, Smyth, Aneke.

Seems a decent enough team, as i'm sure Plymouth will also rest players.
  • Options
    we have good enough squad depth so I actually expect us to win. 2-0 charllton.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    That referee Mr.Hair. He’s from Barnet and he’s one of the new Crop if refs this season. I’ve combed the records but I don’t think we’ve had him before. Hope we brush Plymouth aside Saturday and Chuks Curls one in. 
    He won't put up with any rabbit from the players either
  • Options
    I would like Barker to play this game. We threw him in when we needed him and he played okay, so we should support his development and let him play with the big boys out of choice. 
  • Options
    Charlton Reserves beat Plymouth Reserves by the odd goal., 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If Mingi doesn't start I would question what he is doing here, unless of course he is injured.

I would go something like

Amos
    Matthews Innis Mingi Purrington
    Watson
    JFC Levitt 
    Shinnie
    Smyth Bogle 

My thinking? 

Leave Williams, Gunter and Washington out of the squad as they are all likely to play some part in the internationals.  The rest of the 1st squad will have 2 weeks after this without a game.  If he plays too many "kids" in this one he might not be able to play them on Tuesday.  Even if they are "meaningless" 2 games of mens football in 4 days might be too much. 

• Options
    AMB

Matthews
    Barker
    Pearce
    Purrington

Morgan
    Levitt
    JFC

Smyth
    Bogle
    Maddison

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Williams should get a run out after being benched.
    So:
                                                                                              Maynard-Brewer

Matthews Barker    Mingi                 Purrington

Williams      JFC    Levitt   Morgan

Maddison   Aneke