Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some Things Never Change

1934-35 = see the caption...

"Their football luck was bad; their financial luck worse.  But they fought like tigers.". Could have been written a few weeks ago that...

Let's hope history repeats...

Comments

• Is that Bill Nicholson on the right?
  • I think it is Bill Nicholson. Well spotted.
  • Ummm ... 1937.  Bill Nicholson playing for Spurs?

I don't think so.

It's not even the Tottenham badge, is it?
  • Red shirts, white knickers and red stockings worn in those days.
  • 1934-35 = see the caption...

"Their football luck was bad; their financial luck worse.  But they fought like tigers.". Could have been written a few weeks ago that...

Let's hope history repeats...

Is that Southall in the West Stand?
  • Fascinating stuff.  Thanks for posting.  What is the publication btw?

P.S That Hitler fella has got a lot to answer for; not least putting an unscheduled stop to the meteoric rise of the super 'Haddocks'!
  • Fascinating stuff.  Thanks for posting.  What is the publication btw?

P.S That Hitler fella has got a lot to answer for; not least putting an unscheduled stop to the meteoric rise of the super 'Haddocks'!
    I'll guess at 'Picture Post'.  Probably 1947.

April issue.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Fascinating stuff.  Thanks for posting.  What is the publication btw?

I'll guess at 'Picture Post'.  Probably 1947.

April issue.
    Yep.  Apart from the Charlton bit the magazine is a fascinating insight to a point of history which I shall sit down and read through at some point this w/e.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:
    Ummm ... 1937.  Bill Nicholson playing for Spurs?

I don't think so.

2 different matches.

First game at White Hart Lane (shelf in the background).

not sure of opposition in 2nd pic

• More random pics from the article for those interested.  I just bought an old magazine on eBay for £2!

Would it be possible to get a hi resolution scan of the cup one for the museum?
  • Red shirts, white knickers and red stockings worn in those days.
    Sussie belts were optional.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Ummm ... 1937.  Bill Nicholson playing for Spurs?

I don't think so.

2 different matches.

First game at White Hart Lane (shelf in the background).

not sure of opposition in 2nd pic

And no Bill Nicholson in either.

It's a marvellous article.  And a great find.

Henry ... we need a Cover to Cover.  Hitler or Duchatelet?  Who screwed us up most?
  • More random pics from the article for those interested.  I just bought an old magazine on eBay for £2!

Covered end bomb damage clear to see in these pictures. The repair to the roof remained obvious until it was was stripped in preparation for our return. Thanks for posting...

• Leave it seth.  Othwerwise we'll have everyone scouring the Internet in the interest of ... ahem ... research.
  • Above was from some 1946/1947 football annuals I bought as well.
  • cafc999 said:
    More random pics from the article for those interested.  I just bought an old magazine on eBay for £2!

Would it be possible to get a hi resolution scan of the cup one for the museum?
    Yes although reliant on my wife's IT skills on that one or a 6+ month wait until I am allowed back to my office.