Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quality of League One

edited October 2020 in General Charlton
from the handful of games I’ve seen so far seems to have slipped massively since two years ago.

I’d have thought with no crowds there it would have encouraged less pressurised better passing football, but the opposite seems to be the case so far. 

Everything seems to be hurried, squeezed, niggly fouls, playing to win fouls, no flow to games whatsoever. 

Agree / disagree ?

Comments

• I agree but I think with Bowyer as our manager, no Gilbey, Maddison etc we are quite happy to have scrappy games so are probably contributing to it. Sunderland will be up there but again won't play the best football under Parkinson. From a few clips Ipswich look like they can play some decent stuff and Peterborough usually do. 
  • Tinpot so far, lacking in quality, but I can’t believe they are all going to be like this, the next 2 weeks are crucial!
  • It's been crap so far but we've got a lot of big tests to come. Was planning to take Oxford as the benchmark but all they managed was to put a few nice passes together without much end product. Portsmouth might be a better show.
  • Disagree on the whole. About the same I'd say. I think there are a lot of fouls and hurried play because the commitment in L1 is higher than you see in the Prem where it seems like a training match sometimes.
  • I was disappointed we went down as every game is against quality in Champ however because of all the shit we have been thru it was probably good for us to rebuild in League 1 and then take the Champ by storm next season
  • Love league 1
  • Sponsored links:

• from the handful of games I’ve seen so far seems to have slipped massively since two years ago.

I’d have thought with no crowds there it would have encouraged less pressurised better passing football, but the opposite seems to be the case so far. 

Everything seems to be hurried, squeezed, niggerly fouls, playing to win fouls, no flow to games whatsoever. 

Agree / disagree ?
    We've beat 5 of the bottom 7 sides

We have played well in patches but improving dramatically since Sunderland.

Still a lot of teams coming together late because of covid and the disruption of last season. 

I think you'll see improvement in games after chrimbo. 
  • Definitely feel it's a weaker league this time out. 
  • League one is shit shocker ...
  • It is worse than both our other promotion seasons.
  • I think every season in league one has a top 6/7 teams that are almost champ quality, with a big gulf in class below. This season looks no different and Pompey on Saturday will be a real test.

P.s. it’s “niggly”, snowflakes may kick off with your spelling... 
  • There was some dross last time as well. 4-0 vs Scunthorpe and 4-0 vs Rochdale towards the end of the season spring to mind.
  • edited October 2020
    Gonna reserve comment until we've seen some of the true big guns

Doncaster and Sunderland are both dropping into that inconsistent tag whilst we're copying Lincoln by grinding out results, just with a bit more style

Saturday against Portsmouth will be the first true big test if we've got what it takes to be in that top two
    I was thinking that before tonight - but minus Inniss, Watson, Doughty, Gilbey and Maddison not fit to start (players who probably would be in everyone’s starting 11) - I don’t think we can read too much into it if we lose, ahead of the rest of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oxford tried to play I thought, in fact they outright carved us up early on 

I think most sides in this division try and play on the deck, every side is playing from the back and looking to find some space and absorb a press. The theory is often a lot better than the practical or another way of putting it the quality of football is good the quality of footballer less so

As someone else said, we have played half a dozen of the teams in the bottom spots as well

Have a look at Joe Ward at Peterborough, always eye him up to back to score. Class player and Peterborough are a pretty expansive side 

Doncaster play decent football too and Wigan are a good side as well just hampered with the type of shit we are used to 

• Famewo and Maatsen will be taken away from us and returned to their Parent clubs in January before their careers are ruined.

Or Norwich and Chelsea think it will toughen up their boys and they will return as men at the end of a successful season.

The latter please. 
  • I don't even think the 'big guns' in the league can salvage the level of tinpot this division is.

The game at home to Sunderland was the most tedious match I've sat through in years. 
  • Famewo and Maatsen will be taken away from us and returned to their Parent clubs in January before their careers are ruined.

Or Norwich and Chelsea think it will toughen up their boys and they will return as men at the end of a successful season.

The latter please. 
    Norwich will be delighted that Famewo is getting a chance to really test himself in a tough, physical league. He's a centre back, he needs to be strong

If they recall him it'll be because he's doing too well and they want him for their own team

I'm sure Chelsea will be happy to let Maatsen stay the season, his first loan spell and he's only young
  • edited October 2020
    It is & always has been a shit league. Always has 6 or 7 decent teams, a few that have come up & are trying to find their way/better themselves and then the remaining 12-15 teams that just like to kick lumps out of everyone. 

Also mainly full of Northern teams who have proper local derbies which mean that most if the time they don't have to travel anywhere. Whereas there are never any London sides & never any derbies that you can call "local". Also have to travel to Plymouth & Sunderland in the last month of  the season. So so pissed off that we went down instead of Sheff Wed last season. 
  • Gonna reserve comment until we've seen some of the true big guns

Doncaster and Sunderland are both dropping into that inconsistent tag whilst we're copying Lincoln by grinding out results, just with a bit more style

Saturday against Portsmouth will be the first true big test if we've got what it takes to be in that top two
    I was thinking that before tonight - but minus Inniss, Watson, Doughty, Gilbey and Maddison not fit to start (players who probably would be in everyone’s starting 11) - I don’t think we can read too much into it if we lose, ahead of the rest of the season.
    Sure we've got a few key players missing but our early kick off means we've got an extra 45 minutes to rest up and prepare for the game. I think it balances things out.
  • I think there's a substantial quality gap between the top 7 or 8 and the rest of the league.

For that reason I think it will make it harder to get out
    True but whilst other league one teams up the top might have decent teams, do they have decent squads? It's a long season, games coming thick and fast and injuries will soon hit. Plus how many sides can afford to strengthen in January? 

For that reason i'm convinced we will be strong promotion contenders. Portsmouth will definitely be our toughest game so far though.