Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Employment Advice: COVID Return to Work

Hi all.

As always, this forum has served me well, especially in employment issues. 

The company I work for is talking behind the scenes about forcing everyone back to work in the office from next week. 

To be clear, I do not want to go into central London and commute on the tube. I am not high risk, no one I live with is high risk, although my mother is 64, and we are her support bubble, I would not want to see her if I commuted each day, and that is my main motivator. 

We have not been consulted about this. 

I AM working effectively from home, I just think one or two people are messing around, there are also one or two who actually want to go in. 

Because I had feelings things like this were going to happen (the CEO is a dickhead, who will be working remotely from Italy, with the CFO working remotely from Abu Dhabi, but sending everyone else in), I have already resigned. My notice ends in the middle of December. 

In view of the fact I have already resigned and have no reason to stay, I am thinking I might just go along the lines of "I'm not coming in, you can either let me work from home or terminate my contract." I would be happy to have a couple months off before my new role so this wouldnt bother me. 

Does anyone know if it is as simple as above? Ie I can refuse to go in and they can refuse to employ me without any further consequences such as breach of contract etc?

As a bit of further context, this is the office we worked in 3 years ago that we are moving back into now, and they are going to be moving more people into it during COVID than worked there when there was no COVID issue..

Comments

• With London in tier 2, I can't see how they can force anyone to go in.

I don't think you need to mention to them about terminating your contract, just say you're not going in.  What can they do?  Come round and drag you to the tube station?
  • With London in tier 2, I can't see how they can force anyone to go in.

I don't think you need to mention to them about terminating your contract, just say you're not going in.  What can they do?  Come round and drag you to the tube station?
    Thanks. I think it's one of those situations where they just gaslight you and make you out to be really unreasonable for not going in etc. 

I think when they announce it I will just say "I'm not going in." And see what they say. Any sanctions they can threaten me with don't scare me anyway. 
  • What’s the rationale for wanting (let alone forcing) you all back in?
  • I have to go into the office 2 -  3 times a week - I am a key worker and can only do some of my key tasks in the office. But there are lots of precautions the office environment to minimise any risks - this makes a big difference to being able to go in and socially distance in the office. It is a compromise not to have to go in in every day though. I travel at less busy times too, to reduce any risk.

I have had no problems commuting into central London really . There are always some people not wearing masks or not wearing them properly (I would have thought the p=majority of these are not exempt unfortunately), but if they move too close to me, I just get up and move. We support my partner's parents who are in their late 80s, one of whom is diabetic. We just take extra precautions around them and don't go into their house unless necessary, e.g. to fix something and take the necessary precautions and wipe everything down etc. after.
  • Good advice here, but it's written with reasonable people in mind

https://www.acas.org.uk/working-safely-coronavirus/returning-to-the-workplace

Is there not a middle manager you get onside other than the 2 a-holes you mention who are out of the country? I would hope it could be resolved stress free and without conflict.
  • se9addick said:
    What’s the rationale for wanting (let alone forcing) you all back in?
    He is paying for an office and is annoyed people aren't using it. The excuse is that some people aren't working effectively or whatever. Basically the CEO is the kind of person who wouldn't let anyone work from home before, ever, so now doesn't want anyone to obviously. 

Good advice here, but it's written with reasonable people in mind

https://www.acas.org.uk/working-safely-coronavirus/returning-to-the-workplace

Is there not a middle manager you get onside other than the 2 a-holes you mention who are out of the country? I would hope it could be resolved stress free and without conflict.
    Yeah I saw that, thanks for that. 

The CFO is my manager. The CEO basically dictates and no one will dare contradict him. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Hi all.

As always, this forum has served me well, especially in employment issues. 

The company I work for is talking behind the scenes about forcing everyone back to work in the office from next week. 

To be clear, I do not want to go into central London and commute on the tube. I am not high risk, no one I live with is high risk, although my mother is 64, and we are her support bubble, I would not want to see her if I commuted each day, and that is my main motivator. 

We have not been consulted about this. 

I AM working effectively from home, I just think one or two people are messing around, there are also one or two who actually want to go in. 

Because I had feelings things like this were going to happen (the CEO is a dickhead, who will be working remotely from Italy, with the CFO working remotely from Abu Dhabi, but sending everyone else in), I have already resigned. My notice ends in the middle of December. 

In view of the fact I have already resigned and have no reason to stay, I am thinking I might just go along the lines of "I'm not coming in, you can either let me work from home or terminate my contract." I would be happy to have a couple months off before my new role so this wouldnt bother me. 

Does anyone know if it is as simple as above? Ie I can refuse to go in and they can refuse to employ me without any further consequences such as breach of contract etc?

As a bit of further context, this is the office we worked in 3 years ago that we are moving back into now, and they are going to be moving more people into it during COVID than worked there when there was no COVID issue..
     My first thoughts were Bassini and Nimer.

Have you seen anything in wages since you started?
  • Chizz said:
    The guidance for work in Tier 2 is crystal clear. 
    To help contain the virus, office workers who can work effectively from home should do so over the winter. Where an employer, in consultation with their employee, judges an employee can carry out their normal duties from home they should do so.
    You have proved that you "can work effectively from home", therefore you should do so over the winter.  

But the question is, what was the outcome of your employer's consultation with you?  I am guessing they haven't yet entered into one.  So, if they insist you work from the office, you should suggest that they arrange to enter a consultation with you before reaching that decision.  (And, if I were you, I would suggest a few dates that you might be free to start that consultation process, towards the end of November (since you are so busy, with all the work you are doing for them, safely, at home)). 
    Yeah that's exactly it, the word "effectively" which they are going to be saying isn't the case. 

But like you said, I will just string out "consultation" dates as they have literally never said a word to me about it. They haven't consulted anyone. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:
    To help contain the virus, office workers who can work effectively from home should do so over the winter. Where an employer, in consultation with their employee, judges an employee can carry out their normal duties from home they should do so.
    You have proved that you "can work effectively from home", therefore you should do so over the winter.  

But the question is, what was the outcome of your employer's consultation with you?  I am guessing they haven't yet entered into one.  So, if they insist you work from the office, you should suggest that they arrange to enter a consultation with you before reaching that decision.  (And, if I were you, I would suggest a few dates that you might be free to start that consultation process, towards the end of November (since you are so busy, with all the work you are doing for them, safely, at home)). 
    Yeah that's exactly it, the word "effectively" which they are going to be saying isn't the case. 

But like you said, I will just string out "consultation" dates as they have literally never said a word to me about it. They haven't consulted anyone. 
    What about compromising with 2 or 3 days a week as none of your family are high risk? And your colleagues the same so that you can social-distance in the office. Better for everyone
  • Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

What about compromising with 2 or 3 days a week as none of your family are high risk? And your colleagues the same so that you can social-distance in the office. Better for everyone
    My understanding is that isn't on offer. 
  • Chizz said:

It may be crystal clear but it's also being ignored. In fact, my partner has to commute to work with her work laptop every day because they want her in the office? Her employer? The Government. 
  • I would just say you aren't going in, end of! You're already working your notice period, if push comes to shove, just finish early. There's not much they can do about it really. No company is likely to take you to court for breach of contract for the sake of a few weeks. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Why the sudden change, when London under restrictions too? From all wfh to all in seems ridiculous. Might be worth trying to negotiate a compromise (for everyone) to be able to social distance
  • you said 'In view of the fact I have already resigned and have no reason to stay, I am thinking I might just go along the lines of "I'm not coming in, you can either let me work from home or terminate my contract." I would be happy to have a couple months off before my new role so this wouldn't bother me.'

so what is the actual problem then? If you refuse to go back in the office and they did terminate your contract it doesn't sound as that would bother you so is it the fact they might come after you for breach of contract? If they did surely you can argue you can work effectively from home and Government advise is to work at home wherever possible.  

• Go to your GP.  Say your stressed.  Your GP will sign you off for 4 weeks in the first instance.
    Go back and see the GP in 4 weeks.  Say things havent improved.  You'll be signed off for another 4 weeks.

Ok, may not the way of doing things BUT being forced into the office and onto public transport is enough to give anyone stress at the moment.
  • We have had the same in our office. The ones that dont want to challenge the bosses are currently in the office 4 days a week. The ones that did challenge it and kept on at them are now working from home 5 days a week.
  • you said 'In view of the fact I have already resigned and have no reason to stay, I am thinking I might just go along the lines of "I'm not coming in, you can either let me work from home or terminate my contract." I would be happy to have a couple months off before my new role so this wouldn't bother me.'

so what is the actual problem then? If you refuse to go back in the office and they did terminate your contract it doesn't sound as that would bother you so is it the fact they might come after you for breach of contract? If they did surely you can argue you can work effectively from home and Government advise is to work at home wherever possible.  
    Some sort of breach of contract to be honest, although I suppose they are pretty unlikely to pursue that, especially as there is a tonne of stuff they need me to handover. 

JohnBoyUK said:
    Go to your GP.  Say your stressed.  Your GP will sign you off for 4 weeks in the first instance.
    Go back and see the GP in 4 weeks.  Say things havent improved.  You'll be signed off for another 4 weeks.

Ok, may not the way of doing things BUT being forced into the office and onto public transport is enough to give anyone stress at the moment.
    Tempting, just moved house, should register with my GP ;-) haha.
  • edited October 2020
    We have had the same in our office. The ones that dont want to challenge the bosses are currently in the office 4 days a week. The ones that did challenge it and kept on at them are now working from home 5 days a week.
    I don't think it is unreasonable a few times a week unless you or your family are high risk. In my experience, public transport is not that busy IF you can avoid the busiest times. But that may not be on every train/tube/bus etc line/route. That said we have 'variations' at work between those going in a lot and those with conditions. But tolerance to conditions seems to vary too with some people with bad asthma happy to go in but others who have mild asthma (and don't even use an inhaler) not

But that said, if you van work from home, why do you have to go in?
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Is your work output driven? If you can demonstrate that your outputs haven't really changed while working from home, then I think they'd struggle to argue that's not working effectively.
  • Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

You should email this
    "To help contain the virus, office workers who can work effectively from home should do so over the winter. Where an employer, in consultation with their employee, judges an employee can carry out their normal duties from home they should do so."
    to everybody in the company just so everyone knows the situation.  I can't see them disciplining you for sharing Government advice.
  • aliwibble said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Is your work output driven? If you can demonstrate that your outputs haven't really changed while working from home, then I think they'd struggle to argue that's not working effectively.
    Unfortunately not. 

One of the main things my boss (in Abu Dhabi) keeps saying is "this would be so much easier in the office looking at the same screen" which in itself means that social distancing would not be happening. 
  • Huskaris said:
    aliwibble said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Unfortunately not. 

One of the main things my boss (in Abu Dhabi) keeps saying is "this would be so much easier in the office looking at the same screen" which in itself means that social distancing would not be happening. 
    How the hell is he looking at the same screen from Abu Dhabi? X-ray long distance vision?

I can't believe you've not got the technology to share the screen (just came off a call at work with someone where we did that). Basic office tools like Skype, Zoom, Teams all offer this.

He sounds like a control freak (the sort of person where employment law is meant to protect him from his own bad instincts).
  • rananegra said:
    Huskaris said:
    aliwibble said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Unfortunately not. 

How the hell is he looking at the same screen from Abu Dhabi? X-ray long distance vision?

I can't believe you've not got the technology to share the screen (just came off a call at work with someone where we did that). Basic office tools like Skype, Zoom, Teams all offer this.

He sounds like a control freak (the sort of person where employment law is meant to protect him from his own bad instincts).
    She would want to come to London to be with us as soon as possible. Work is her life. She genuinely doesn't understand why people don't work weekends and why you would rather spend them with your family. The CEO has done well at surrounding himself with people like that. 

The idea would be that I would be able to show the London staff how to do stuff. Screen sharing works absolutely fine, unfortunately one of the people in my team is incredibly inadequate, and I think my boss is trying to excuse it by saying it's because we aren't in person etc.

The CEO absolutely is a control freak, and gets incredibly angry when he doesn't get his own way. Which is why most people will go along with it. 

My mum summed it up when I told her "that's going against all government advice, you've got nothing to lose anyway..." My mum is often the angel on my shoulder trying to keep me responsible so if she agrees... 

I think when the announcement is made I will talk to my manager and HR saying I refuse. 

The most likely scenario though is that we all get told in a conference call and everyone will be too awkward to say anything against it, so I am tempted to do it then.
  • Huskaris said:
    rananegra said:
    Huskaris said:
    aliwibble said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Unfortunately not. 

She would want to come to London to be with us as soon as possible. Work is her life. She genuinely doesn't understand why people don't work weekends and why you would rather spend them with your family. The CEO has done well at surrounding himself with people like that. 

The idea would be that I would be able to show the London staff how to do stuff. Screen sharing works absolutely fine, unfortunately one of the people in my team is incredibly inadequate, and I think my boss is trying to excuse it by saying it's because we aren't in person etc.

The CEO absolutely is a control freak, and gets incredibly angry when he doesn't get his own way. Which is why most people will go along with it. 

My mum summed it up when I told her "that's going against all government advice, you've got nothing to lose anyway..." My mum is often the angel on my shoulder trying to keep me responsible so if she agrees... 

I think when the announcement is made I will talk to my manager and HR saying I refuse. 

The most likely scenario though is that we all get told in a conference call and everyone will be too awkward to say anything against it, so I am tempted to do it then.
    Thank goodness you have another job to go to then. But it might help colleagues if you do speak up, especially as not so concerned of the repercussions of doing so as leaving
  • Huskaris said:
    rananegra said:
    Huskaris said:
    aliwibble said:
    Huskaris said:
    Chizz said:

Unfortunately not. 

Thank goodness you have another job to go to then. But it might help colleagues if you do speak up, especially as not so concerned of the repercussions of doing so as leaving
    Yeah, I think I will to be honest. They just keep saying "no, everywhere is like this" about literally everything. 

I had taken 4 days holiday (exc bank holiday) in the year up until October, and I know I can't take any in November etc, their response was "no one takes holidays at companies when there are deadlines." There has literally not been one week where we have not had a deadline to meet, there had not been any time I could have taken any holiday. 

Part of the great thing about resigning is I'm going to get paid a tonne of accrued holiday which I would have lost!