Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most surveilled cities in the world

The only non-Chinese city in the top-12 is, no surprise, London, with 67 cameras per 1,000 people, 

By comparison, Los Angeles is the highest-ranked U.S. city with 6 cameras per 1,000 inhabitants.

Comments

• Options
    “CCTV technology is controversial in many places around the world, with proponents touting its benefits for fighting crime and opponents cautious about surveillance’s potential to be used as a tool of public control and to violate privacy rights. The makers of the survey said that they found little correlation between lower crime rates or a heightened feeling of security and surveillance in the cities surveyed.“
  • Options
    At least in the UK 'public space' surveillance is regulated by the SIA, i.e. requires a license which can be withdrawn.

https://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/pages/licensing-cctv.aspx
  • Options
    at least we can just compete with China at something
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I suspect that in many cities, especially in the USA, there are many thousands of 'private' surveillance systems in use which are outside governmental control and may not have to ne 'reported on'
  • Options
    At one time Bromley was said to have the highest number of cameras per capita in Europe.
    Don’t know if that’s still the case?
  • Options
    At one time Bromley was said to have the highest number of cameras per capita in Europe.
    Don’t know if that’s still the case?
    Justified 

;0)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:
    Need to work a bit harder if we want to be top of the league 

Fancy us in the play-off semi-final against Hangzou but would want to avoid Beijing in the final.
    Down at grass roots, non-League CCTV I have discovered that we have 14 cameras here in Buntingford (pop. 6000-ish).

The most important, of course, are the two at the Seth Ward Community Centre where, if they get the angle right, we can occasionally watch snippets from the Buntingford Wanderers FC matches.

Going back to that London data ... 67 cameras per 1,000 people.  Population 9 million?  I make that 600,000 cameras.

Bloody hell!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    67/1000 maybe.
    But too many of them aren't working or produce such low quality images to be no deterrent at all.
    Cameras tend to relocate crime rather than outright prevention. 
  • Options
    "surveilled" is surely one of the ugliest words ever.
    Together with ‘cockwomble’.
  • Options
    What’s happened to Jessie and Stu? Haven’t seen any posts for a while..
  • Options
    I believe both have posted recently 
  • Options
    Hi😉

I'm surprised to see Wuxi on the list and almost top of the world!!!😂😂😂 I've always been a proud Wuxi native. Born and bred here. 

My view on this matter is that...  actually I don't mind so many cameras. It does help prevent criminal activities to a certain extent and I feel very safe walking alone even late at night here. I wouldn't dare to do so in say some places in the USA.
  • Options
    I am not excited by our potential top four finish. I guess it partly depends on your trust in government or the establishment to behave properly 

it’s the same broad argument that says if we all had our DNA taken at birth you’d catch far more criminals 

slippery slope 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Hi😉

I'm surprised to see Wuxi on the list and almost top of the world!!!😂😂😂 I've always been a proud Wuxi native. Born and bred here. 

My view on this matter is that...  actually I don't mind so many cameras. It does help prevent criminal activities to a certain extent and I feel very safe walking alone even late at night here. I wouldn't dare to do so in say some places in the USA.
    At least in the USA you can go outside and openly call the president an idiot. 
  • Options
    I always see cameras as a way of collating evidence after a crime rather than a deterrent. Watch any real life crime/police programme and they will invariably track down the person by CCTV. "Missing Person" series is a recent one I recall.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    I am not excited by our potential top four finish. I guess it partly depends on your trust in government or the establishment to behave properly 

it’s the same broad argument that says if we all had our DNA taken at birth you’d catch far more criminals 

slippery slope 
    Agreed. Before you know it people will be blindly allowing big American corporations to install listening devices in their homes without a second thought, whilst carrying around mobile tracking devices so that other big corporations can know where you are or where you've been at any point in time.

And then we might "progress" onto things like fridges automatically ordering shopping for you that you didn't want ...... but, I know,  I'm getting crazy now!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    holyjo said:

slippery slope 
    Agreed. Before you know it people will be blindly allowing big American corporations to install listening devices in their homes without a second thought, whilst carrying around mobile tracking devices so that other big corporations can know where you are or where you've been at any point in time.

And then we might "progress" onto things like fridges automatically ordering shopping for you that you didn't want ...... but, I know,  I'm getting crazy now!
    yeah, haha what a joke that would be, and then some people thinking that despite buying all these tracking and listening devices people still think that a vaccine is a front for installing a chip into your body to track your movements. Ha! What a funny world that would be...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    holyjo said:

slippery slope 

yeah, haha what a joke that would be, and then some people thinking that despite buying all these tracking and listening devices people still think that a vaccine is a front for installing a chip into your body to track your movements. Ha! What a funny world that would be...
    Maybe it’s a whoosh, but have some people really said that?

If so, wow!!!
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Hi😉

Might not be possible for long if Donald J gets re-elected next week :/
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    holyjo said:

slippery slope 

Fridges with connectivity already exist if you're wealthy, lazy and stupid enough.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:
    holyjo said:

slippery slope 

If so, wow!!!
    I met one the other night! Also believed that 5g will lead to Zombie like citizens.

Qanon for hippies!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:
    holyjo said:

slippery slope 

If so, wow!!!
    yep, part of the anti vax combined with Qanon conspiracies about Bill Gates. Apparently bill gates is trying to track us all.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Jessie said:
    Hi😉

Might not be possible for long if Donald J gets re-elected next week :/
    which wont happen, unless some how his poll numbers explode and biden's nuke in the next 24 hours or so and even then biden would have the edge. 40% of the total number of 2016 voters have already voted. So i doubt it would even sway it that much. Trump has lost, it's just how badly (ie does Texas go democrat)