Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mourning a sadly missed pet

With much regret, our cat had to be put down this morning.  She was nearly fifteen so had had a good innings.
[Commercial bit of post removed by mod, see this post for explanation - AW]

Comments

• Options
    With much regret, our cat had to be put down this morning.  She was nearly fifteen so had had a good innings.

Accordingly, I have two CAFC food/water bowls available for free to whoever wants to collect from Sydenham.
    So sorry for your loss. It’s always a sad day when a family member passes.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss. Been there many times myself, it’s like losing a close friend, because that’s what they are. Why not keep the bowls and get a new cat in a few weeks? Celia Hammond always have lots of lost souls needing a new home.
  • Options

Accordingly, I have two CAFC food/water bowls available for free to whoever wants to collect from Sydenham.

Animals are part of the family, perhaps in the future you may need new bowls after you have bought another cat or dog.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sorry for your loss, like others have I would keep them. We keep all items from our dogs from their first ever collars etc. Time is a great healer although you can never replace a particular animal you may get another. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts.

We won't get another cat.  She was really AAjr's and he's moved out so the bowls are there for anyone who wants them.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Agree with others. Give yourself time to grieve then give another cat a chance as a tribute to the friend you have lost. 
  • Options
    @AddicksAddict sorry to hear about your cat. It's never nice to lose a pet even if they've made it to a good age.
    The ad for the free bowls needs to go over in the market place though, so I've changed the title and removed that bit from your post. If you need any pointers on the marketplace stuff, drop me a DM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sorry to hear this.

It takes time to get over it; I didn't rush out and get another kitty when my last one passed away.  However, after a while I came to the conclusion that a house is not a home without one and went and got another rescue cat that needed a break after a tough start to life.  It has been very rewarding watching her going from a traumatised, stressed and scared individual to a contented, confident and affectionate one; although much time and patience was required for this.  I love cats, they are great creatures to have around.

If you do decide to get another furry companion; cat or dog, you won't regret it.

All the best.

• Options
    It horrible when this time comes.  Sad news.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    @AddicksAddict sorry to hear about your cat. It's never nice to lose a pet even if they've made it to a good age.
    The ad for the free bowls needs to go over in the market place though, so I've changed the title and removed that bit from your post. If you need any pointers on the marketplace stuff, drop me a DM.
    Bloody hell, it wasn’t really an “ad”.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your news, my cat is 19 now, I lost her brother 4 years ago, I am thankful for every day I have still got with her.
  • Options
    Sorry for your family's loss @AddicksAddict
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sad news @AddicksAddict It’s always heartbreaking to lose a much loved pet - I’ve been there many times 😢
  • Options
    We lost one of our cats on VE Day after a short illness and it's always heartbreaking. My condolences.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    aliwibble said:
    Bloody hell, it wasn’t really an “ad”.
    @se9addick In the post as originally written, I was offering the two CAFC food/water bowls to anyone who wanted them - that's the bit aliwibble removed.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your cat, always upsetting to lose a pet.
  • Options
    Feel for you mate, we've lost three dogs over the years & it will hurt for a while. Get another cat when you are ready, it will help to have another one to love. You will in time remember past pets with affection.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    So sorry to read this, if life was full of pets the world would be a much better place.

I feel your pain, my wife always comments I get more upset when our pets die than I do humans! Keep the bowls, I always have, not for the next pet, but, well, just as a small reminder. I'm sure you gave her a wonderful life and vice versa.

We had our cat put down this time last year after a relatively short battle with cancer, Billy, he was 10, we tried Chemo but it was too much for him, I still miss him every day. My youngest, he was her best friend, they were literally inseparable, every morning i'd let him in and the first thing he'd do is go upstairs and push open her door and get on her bed.

And despite being a he, looked very much like your cat in colouring/markings even the slightly off smudge on the nose.

Despite missing him terribly and me saying no more pets as I don't deal with the deaths well, we've now got what was a git of a cat from Battersea just before last christmas that no one else would have (well not entirely true, people had took him only to return him within a fortnight!).

I took pity on him as they hadn't even been able to get a farm to take him. Took a long while to train him but he's actually pretty good now, no longer attacks on sight! I was not popular for a while as of course, when naughty, he was my cat! He was only 1 when we got him, no one knew his history but i've worked out he attacked before he was attacked and would cower at the site of men before unleashing.

Did you go for cremation so that you get the ashes? 

• Options
    @Rob7Leewe went for cremation but didn't ask for the ashes.

By the way, I wonder why your moniker isn't Robert7Lee?  He only became Rob after he left us (and decided to forget us), didn't he?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    So sorry to read this, if life was full of pets the world would be a much better place.

I feel your pain, my wife always comments I get more upset when our pets die than I do humans! Keep the bowls, I always have, not for the next pet, but, well, just as a small reminder. I'm sure you gave her a wonderful life and vice versa.

We had our cat put down this time last year after a relatively short battle with cancer, Billy, he was 10, we tried Chemo but it was too much for him, I still miss him every day. My youngest, he was her best friend, they were literally inseparable, every morning i'd let him in and the first thing he'd do is go upstairs and push open her door and get on her bed.

And despite being a he, looked very much like your cat in colouring/markings even the slightly off smudge on the nose.

Despite missing him terribly and me saying no more pets as I don't deal with the deaths well, we've now got what was a git of a cat from Battersea just before last christmas that no one else would have (well not entirely true, people had took him only to return him within a fortnight!).

I took pity on him as they hadn't even been able to get a farm to take him. Took a long while to train him but he's actually pretty good now, no longer attacks on sight! I was not popular for a while as of course, when naughty, he was my cat! He was only 1 when we got him, no one knew his history but i've worked out he attacked before he was attacked and would cower at the site of men before unleashing.

Did you go for cremation so that you get the ashes? 

Mine was like that too.  She was returned from two homes for being 'vicious', but that was just her response to being terrified by men (she spent the first week after I got her under the sofa).  Well, she got used to me as a tall man and now she is a different cat entirely.  She's not keen on other cats coming near her territory, though!

I think that the feral streak in cats that have it can be suppressed, but it doesn't ever disappear!

Sorry to hear about Billy, btw.....he sounds great.  It's especially difficult when kids strike up such strong bonds and then have to deal with the loss of a treasured pet.  I suppose we have to reflect on the joy that they brought to us and us to them....it always outweighs the bad, but it can take a lot of time to come to terms with it.