Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s more important to the team?

edited October 2020 in General Charlton
Scoring goals or not conceding them?

Been a lot of debate around our (apparent lack of) a strike force recently yet we’ve just kept three clean sheets in a row.

Of course 2-2 3-2 3-4 would be a more entertaining way of gaining seven points but could you make an argument that 0-0 1-0 0-1 has us better set for long term success?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    To win a game of football you need to do both.
    Exactly
  • Options
     Not true.

• Options
    All good runs start with a 0-0.  At this early stage of team building, clean sheets have a bigger effect.
  • Options
    Err, no you don't.
  • Options
    With a new team, setting up tight and not conceding is no bad thing.  As the team gel and Bowyer sorts his best formation then hopefully we become more expansive and start scoring more to win 3-0 / 4-0 or 8-0 each week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Attacking lines can switch, subbed regularly, try different things. 

But a solid effective back line is so valuable in any tier in football and can be the mainstay of a successful season. 

It's refreshing to have the prospect of not worrying when a ball is played into the box every few minutes.

New team which has started well. 
  • Options
    Err, no you don't.
    How do you win a game of football without scoring a goal?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chunes said:
    Err, no you don't.

You can also concede goals and still win a game!
    That was the point.
    This is turning into too much algebra for my liking
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Err, no you don't.
    Read it again.

You don't have to do BOTH

You can win 2 - 1 or 7 - 6 so you can concede and still win.
  • Options

You attempt to do both but we will take 2-1 or on a rare occasion 3-2.

• Options
    To win a game of football you gave to score more goals than your opponent. Some teams do it by being strong defensively and some by being better all over the pitch. The second of these is the way you win titles. 

I was not too excited because whilst I thought we were the better team, we made hard work of it, especially after the start we had. Bowyer says we will get better and I'm glad to hear him say that. We need to. I expect promotion from this league.
  • Options
    Bloody hell. I think we all know what Ad meant. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Bowyer is right to start with getting the defence right in view of the fact that we have so many new faces. It takes longer for players to get to know each other’s attacking styles. It would have meant a tough season if the new-look team had started with two or three entertaining 3-2 defeats. Patience needed. Think where we were just a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    I am not sure if this applies in all cases, but when we bought Mendonca the rest of the team played with more confidence and believed in themselves more,
    That was probably because the first chance he got he would score. Over to you Chuks or whoever, no pressure.
  • Options
    We've kept 7 clean sheets in our last 15 league games but were relegated and currently sit in just 11th place. Spurs haven't kept a clean sheet in any of their last 10 matches but have only lost one of them - the only game, in fact, that they failed to score in. The moral of the story is that it's no good keeping a lot of clean sheets if you can't score.

Picking up 7 points from 3 games, which would give a side a record 107 points over the course of the season, through scoring just 2 goals does make a mockery of that though!
  • Options
    Completely wrong.

To win a game of football you have to score at least 1 goal. 

End of.

QED. Scoring a goal is far more important than letting one in. If you never conceed, but never score either you will end up with 46 0-0 draws......46 points. Most likely get relegated.

It really is that simple. Attack is more important than defence. Score more goals than the opposition & you win. Whether that is 1-0 or 7-6.

Not 'end of' at all. Tell me about 1-2, 1-3, 1-4...

Goals scored have exactly the same chances of influencing the outcome a game as goals conceded - they are all goals. Both important. Never neglect one or the other. If you have to prioritise, focus on developing the things you're poor at whilst maintaining the things you are good at.
  • Options
    get the back 4 sorted first and he looks like he's done that.

then the midfield/front 6 will change depending on opposition etc.....luckily now we are in a position where we have various excellent options in this department when all available.
  • Options
    Completely wrong.

To win a game of football you have to score at least 1 goal. 

End of.

QED. Scoring a goal is far more important than letting one in. If you never conceed, but never score either you will end up with 46 0-0 draws......46 points. Most likely get relegated.

It really is that simple. Attack is more important than defence. Score more goals than the opposition & you win. Whether that is 1-0 or 7-6.

You aren't guaranteed to pick up a point if you score. But you are guaranteed to do so if you don't concede. And you could win the League scoring just 20 goals all season if you don't concede any!

That said, I would much rather see us playing a more expansive and attacking game. But from a results perspective, two wins in our last two games and as an easy way of making money on Charlton matches, the way we are currently grinding out wins is fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I think the expansive game is the sort of game that allows you to have a run. You have to be sufficiently better that your opponents, but I think that may well be the case. If you go for the 1-0s, there are too many opportunities for things to go wrong.

If you are good for at least two goals every game, you can afford to let one in every now and again and sometimes two.