Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Smyth on loan from QPR (following progress at Leyton Orient p8)

Comments

• Options
    Not the biggest loss. Decent squad player but not much more 
  • Options
    Not a surprise, as to me he's a "bits and pieces" player, not prolific enough to be a striker in a 442, not a hug the touchline winger either
  • Options
    We will miss not having a wide right player but sadly for me, he gets a nosebleed anywhere near the goal. We've seen no improvement in that aspect. 
  • Options
    Not a surprise, as to me he's a "bits and pieces" player, not prolific enough to be a striker in a 442, not a hug the touchline winger either
    And a terrible wing back
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Yeah but that person also said season long loans dont count in the 5 loans rule, which I'm pretty sure isn't true

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Yeah but that person also said season long loans dont count in the 5 loans rule, which I'm pretty sure isn't true

That would mean only half season loans count, agree I’m sure it’s not true.
  • Options
    So this is a cap related move? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    So this is a cap related move? 
    This is a 'does the guy create chances and goals' move
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Or it could be that having had a close look at him over the last three months and restrictions of the cap has made the decision on a permanent move easier to make 🤔.
  • Options
    Yes we regularly crock loanees, but it's never sensible to have more loan players than you can play. Clubs don't loan out players (especially promising ones) just so that they can be squad players.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    so, a player we've been chasing for 3 transfer windows is not very good & is being sent back.

Either says a lot about our scouting system (Gallen) or our management style (Bowyer)

I know who I'd rather trust to get it right.
    You wonder where he’s been on the list though, like Bogle it’s hard to believe he was towards the top. Then when you sign him you’re not going to admit he was your 3rd/4th/5th choice.
  • Options
    If you're serious about promotion then don't think Smyth is your man. Good luck to him, but he's quick and not much else really. 
    I have some sympathy for him, as his pattern of football seemed to be: Start then subbed off at 60 minutes, next game subbed on for last 20 minutes, next game might not even play at all/ subbed on again, repeat.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    so, a player we've been chasing for 3 transfer windows is not very good & is being sent back.

Either says a lot about our scouting system (Gallen) or our management style (Bowyer)

Do you remember the previous windows? The ones without a proper owner and where we had to look for favours just to sign David poxy Davis? Our targets and ambition levels may have now changed under a decent owner
    Don’t you come on here with a sensible and logical assessment of the situation whatever next 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smyth has been on our radar for a long time which slightly surprises me, especially as we were in the Championship for some of that time. It's telling that Wycombe had him in L1 last season but didn't bring him back in the Championship this season
  • Options
    good news - no room for children in the squad 
  • Options
    Echoing in a lot of others people’s thoughts I believe. Having watched every game he has played in from start or off bench he has been very “meh” not an awful footballer, seems to have good attitude etc but just no real end product or game changing level like maybe a Maddison who even if not great attitude or fitness can come of bench and instantly change game with one pass or shot. He also finest even offer height or physicality as well. And Even atm he doesn’t make my 18 and didn’t even make bowyers more importantly and still have a few injuries to come back. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your efforts Paul but I am hopeful this is a sign we have something or someone lined up who is a little more dynamic in that position.

Like Bogle he is a tryer but doesn't have enough to mark him as a bit different.  A bit vanilla
  • Options

Do you remember the previous windows? The ones without a proper owner and where we had to look for favours just to sign David poxy Davis? Our targets and ambition levels may have now changed under a decent owner
    This. This and more of this.

He has great work ethic, which when you’re shopping bargain basement is the first thing you look for. Thought he did quite well against Peterborough on the wing and would have happily kept him on but if we can use the money elsewhere, all for it.

In truth, I think he was brought to play upfront but they soon realised he didn’t have the physicality for it. 

Wish him well. To be honest, the way QPR are playing he could possibly do a job for them.
  • Options
    can't fault his effort and he wasn't terrible but never really impacted games and everything seemed to nearly happen with him but not quite - definitely not what we need 
  • Options
    Good decision. Not a fan of his at all. Doesn’t create chances, doesn’t score many. Not overly quick or strong. Never going to start unless we have a bad injury crisis. The fact we tried chasing him for three windows was a huge concern.

Good luck in the future. 
    Agreed & I did see it coming.