Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Shinnie - (Ed. joined Livingston)

Comments

• Options
    Pleased with this. Adds creativity to the team, can play wide, if we had a real box to box midfielder to play in the middle with him would be better. Good to have the option of playing him if the other loanees are in the squad. 
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    I think he has been excellent. Always looking to get on the ball, dictates play and tracks back, 4 assists and 2 goals in 16 games isn’t the worst record either and I’m pleased he’s signed permanently. Would imagine when we don’t go up he’ll sign an extension 
    Watch a re-run of Gillingham's winner last Saturday and tell me he tracks back. Ambling in the general direction of our goal at best. 
    Still think he's a good player for us in League One though, especially when we are on the front foot and he is dictating play from the middle of the park.
  • Options
    Frightening how many people don't understand why he has been signed even though our manager has already explained why. I'm talking across the Charlton media's as well.

To clarify. 

- Enables us to now field all of our loanees

- Means we still keep one of the better players we have had this season

- As he is officially a Charlton player he will have to play at his best to earn a new contract, whether with us or someone else we 'should' have a hungry player on our hands.

Fairly confident our management and owner are aware that he is ageing and a league 1 promotion fix at best, which is exactly what we need for now.

I am happy with the situation

More like we are preparing for another season in League 1.
    You say that but I believe the opposite. He isn't championship level that is clear. Had we signed him on a 2 year deal it would suggest we were planning for another season down here.

To me I have seen it as, if we go up cya, if we stay down then based on performance you may get a contract. It's a positive transfer for sure I'd say 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bit of a no news story this. The chance of having all 6 available at any one time is pretty slim with our record. 
    What?

Famewo is back now. They're all available NOW
    £10 to the upbeats says they're not all available next Saturday.
  • Options
    Might be better to change that to "all in the squad", otherwise we'll end up with days of back and forth over whether anyone left out was left out through choice or because they weren't available.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Bit of a no news story this. The chance of having all 6 available at any one time is pretty slim with our record. 
    Exactly this.
    What I said......but then I get pelters for it 🤔😔.
  • Options
    All this changes is that all squad players are, in theory, available to Bowyer, whereas previously one wasn't. Very good player for us and to me an automatic starter. 

Thomas giving Bowyer full use of the squad he and Gallen have constructed. All the rope provided for him to hang himself. Play offs or the sack is the way I see it now. 
  • Options
    All this changes is that all squad players are, in theory, available to Bowyer, whereas previously one wasn't. Very good player for us and to me an automatic starter. 

Thomas giving Bowyer full use of the squad he and Gallen have constructed. All the rope provided for him to hang himself. Play offs or the sack is the way I see it now. 
    Zzzzzzzz
  • Options

40 years since we appointed a good manager that wasn’t one of our own .  I wonder who you think would have done significantly better with the summer mess and losing our best two centre halves for 3 months. 

Anyway- wrong place; good move for all concerned.  Shinnie has been fine and hopefully it means we can see more of Smith and a sensible return for a refreshed Maatsen at some point. 
  • Options
    I think there is another one in the pipe line, because I don't think this is the one Bowyer was talking about breaking down or being more complicated (I forget what his exact words were). 

This should have been one of the easiest deals ever to do because it doesn't really change anything, for anyone. Other than the amount of loans in our squad.

I like Shinnie, although I am not sure he is used best in a flat 4.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good signing. I like the way Shinfield plays, a good team player. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

40 years since we appointed a good manager that wasn’t one of our own .  I wonder who you think would have done significantly better with the summer mess and losing our best two centre halves for 3 months. 

Anyway- wrong place; good move for all concerned.  Shinnie has been fine and hopefully it means we can see more of Smith and a sensible return for a refreshed Maatsen at some point. 
    At some point = today, please 
  • Options
    Good signing. I like the way Shinfield plays, a good team player. Onwards and upwards.
    Yes, but we've got Shinnee
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    wmcf123 said:

At some point = today, please 
    I agree.  Most people think Big Ben is the second coming of Maldini 
  • Options
    Maatsen is young and raw and occasionally bites off more than he can chew but he has about twice as much energy and drive as Purrington and is always proactive when dealing with his winger. He and Millar could develop something devastating with their pace and skill. Oh but I forgot, he 'can't defend', because any fullback who's good at attacking has to be bad at defending, and vice versa 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Maatsen is young and raw and occasionally bites off more than he can chew but he has about twice as much energy and drive as Purrington and is always proactive when dealing with his winger. He and Millar could develop something devastating with their pace and skill. Oh but I forgot, he 'can't defend', because any fullback who's good at attacking has to be bad at defending, and vice versa 
    Personally I think he's decent at defending when keeping it simple, I feel he is less good further up the pitch, crosses are okay with many going right over the 18, but all too often he cuts in and tries to shoot, his shots are always more power than substance.

In half a season he's got 2 assists. Pearce has more 🤯

• Options
    Leuth said:
    True .  This was levelled against Doughty last year and JDS. 
  • Options
    I like Shinnie, think he adds some quality to the midfield. Certainly his set pieces when he first arrived were a breath of fresh air compared to what we've been served up recently. Would be happy to have him next season too tbf.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    What?

Should have taken you up on this. Unless you truly do mean NEXT Saturday, as they're all in the team today :D
  • Options
    So after all that, all 5 remaining loanees and Shinnie start. This team wasn’t available to Bows midweek. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So after all that, all 5 remaining loanees and Shinnie start. This team wasn’t available to Bows midweek. 
    And wow !  I can now see why he wanted all 6 on the pitch together. Made such a difference......
  • Options
    "We’ve only got a small squad"

That's debatable, when you consider that we can leave out the likes of Shinnie, Deji, Smith and Schwartz from our squad completely
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leuth said:
    Possessions lost per game:

Maatsen 20.0
    Forster-Caskey 15.7
    Gunter 13.9
    Liam Millar 13.3
    DJ 12.5
    Matt Smith 12.4
    Purrington 12.2
    Pearce 12.0
    Matthews 11.5
    Amos 11.3
    Shinnie 9.8
    Morgan 8.9
    Chuks 8.8
    Watson 8.5
    Pratley 8.0
    Washington 6.9

It's better than Ian plays further up the pitch where, when he loses possession, it doesn't leave us exposed.
  • Options
    Still surprised he doesn't make the bench. I do like Shinnie and think he should be in the midfield alongside JFC & Gilby. Different player to Pratley & Watson but he offers more creativity and goal threat. We need 3 wins now.
  • Options
    So harsh, one of our best players :(
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Possessions lost per game:

Maatsen 20.0
    Forster-Caskey 15.7
    Gunter 13.9
    Liam Millar 13.3
    DJ 12.5
    Matt Smith 12.4
    Purrington 12.2
    Pearce 12.0
    Matthews 11.5
    Amos 11.3
    Shinnie 9.8
    Morgan 8.9
    Chuks 8.8
    Watson 8.5
    Pratley 8.0
    Washington 6.9

It's better than Ian plays further up the pitch where, when he loses possession, it doesn't leave us exposed.
    I don't know where those stats came from, but they prove my issue with Maatsen.
    He gives the ball away too easily and is a liability in defence (with bags of potential).
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    What?

Should have taken you up on this. Unless you truly do mean NEXT Saturday, as they're all in the team today :D
    Only just seen this! I'll honour it 👍🏼