Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Shinnie - (Ed. joined Livingston)

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    msomerton said:
    So the first team squad gets thinner with the season less than 3 weeks away. It would seem the owner has realized he cannot afford to spend big on the squad and keep losses down.  so will we be looking at a load of loan players from youth squads and crocks let go by other clubs.
    FYI - We released Shinnie back in May
    It's funny isn't it, talk of the squad getting thinner. I actually can't look at any player under contract with us currently that I can imagine being sold before the end of the window for a fee. We don't need the money from player sales, and there's no name there that I see being a player that another club would want to pay money to prise him away from us. 

We've always had a Doughty, an Aribo, a Holmes etc etc but this season I don't look at the squad right now and go "hope someone doesn't put in a bid for ******"
    Stockley would be one seeing as we paid a fee for him and Portsmouth were willing to also. DJ possibly another, but you do make a good point.
    I agree Jaiyesimi, Stockley and would add Washington to the list of players that I wouldn't want to lose. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I wouldn't want to lose Morgan, Innis and Famewo and a few others too, but the question is whether we would get significant money for them.
  • Options
    Someone I really enjoyed watching for the positive side of his game.  Would have been a real asset in Bowyer's promotion winning year, if not always a starter then.  I want to see him play, but I'd have probably let him go as our midfield was too slow paced with very little dynamic defensive energy.

Can't remember Dobson, but MK Dons were one of the best passing teams against us.  So hopefully he's physical and moves the ball forward quickly.  Still we desperately need some pace in the team, and someone to replace Shinnie's assists.

Good luck to Andy, he was a joy to watch at times.  Especially the brilliant goal against Bristol Rovers.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Someone I really enjoyed watching for the positive side of his game.  Would have been a real asset in Bowyer's promotion winning year, if not always a starter then.  I want to see him play, but I'd have probably let him go as our midfield was too slow paced with very little dynamic defensive energy.

Can't remember Dobson, but MK Dons were one of the best passing teams against us.  So hopefully he's physical and moves the ball forward quickly.  Still we desperately need some pace in the team, and someone to replace Shinnie's assists.

Good luck to Andy, he was a joy to watch at times.  Especially the brilliant goal against Bristol Rovers.
    Dobson hasnt played for MK Dons... We signed him after his loan spell @ AFC Wimbledon
  • Options
    I know I saw the match.  Same team different fans.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shinnie will always be, to me, the poster boy for everything that was wrong with our squad last season.

Really nice tidy player but where to you play him?  More importantly who do you play him with and in what system?

Despite having what felt like dozens of midfielders over the season it was impossible to ever perm the right 3 or 4 for any period of time because they were all pretty good but all so one dimensional. 
    It wasn't Shinnie's fault though.

When he first joined in October he settled in straightaway and very much looked the part.
    He then got injured about the same time as Famewo and Inniss, and the team performances started to fall apart.

I remember him coming back as a late sub in the quagmire at Peterboro's ground, all too soon for him after a longish injury layoff as he was off the pace and clearly not sharp enough.

After that he struggled for a while in a struggling team, managed by a struggling manager.
    But he still looked neat and tidy - and perhaps our most creative player.

Plus all those assists for Stockley!

Adkins swept in, took one look at the team and changed the system.
    Shinnie didn't fit in and was often sidelined.

The system was against him. His age was against him. And his contract expired.
    Wrong place for him, wrong time.

Good player though - goals in his locker and assists galore.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shinnie will always be, to me, the poster boy for everything that was wrong with our squad last season.

Really nice tidy player but where to you play him?  More importantly who do you play him with and in what system?

Despite having what felt like dozens of midfielders over the season it was impossible to ever perm the right 3 or 4 for any period of time because they were all pretty good but all so one dimensional. 

When he first joined in October he settled in straightaway and very much looked the part.
    He then got injured about the same time as Famewo and Inniss, and the team performances started to fall apart.

I remember him coming back as a late sub in the quagmire at Peterboro's ground, all too soon for him after a longish injury layoff as he was off the pace and clearly not sharp enough.

After that he struggled for a while in a struggling team, managed by a struggling manager.

I completely agree.  It wasn't his fault and it wasn't like he was a bad player.  The same could be said for every midfielder we had last season.  Almost all of them were just sort of there without any idea of where to play them. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I completely agree.  It wasn't his fault and it wasn't like he was a bad player.  The same could be said for every midfielder we had last season.  Almost all of them were just sort of there without any idea of where to play them. 
    And that surely was down to the manager and his thinking, at that time?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

And that surely was down to the manager and his thinking, at that time?

Quite
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Starting to look like a bad decision to let him go. He was quality in the game that JJ was in charge for.  He should of been our CAM this year..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would have kept Shinnie. If we had he would be one of the best midfielders at the club in our current squad (and probably the best if you exclude JFC and Gilbey).

I imagine the factors that counted against him were age and a perception he couldn't play a high pressing game. Unfortunately that overlooks the fact he is a very capable footballer at this level.
  • Options
    Adkins didn't fancy him from the off for whatever reason.
    Odd decision  when you look at what we've got now.
  • Options
    A positive player who can make things happen.
  • Options
    i don’t think shinnie was the answer and I assume that Nigel obviously thought our recruitment would be a grade above hence not keeping him around 
  • Options
    I would have kept Shinnie. If we had he would be one of the best midfielders at the club in our current squad (and probably the best if you exclude JFC and Gilbey).

I imagine the factors that counted against him were age and a perception he couldn't play a high pressing game. Unfortunately that overlooks the fact he is a very capable footballer at this level.
    Not sure it's a perception he couldn't play a pressing game, he can't. Fwiw I quite like him as a player and yes right now he'd be an upgrade on what we have but the end of last season Gilbey was a much better option and I'd imagine most of us would have thought someone else would have come in.

I guess we'll never know ultimately whose decision it was to not offer a new contract but if no one else is brought in questions do need to be asked as if the aim was always to go through this season with Gilbey and Morgan as the advanced midfielder then that to me isn't strong enough to be pushing automatic promotion.
  • Options
    It's no secret I was a big fan of Shinnie, I think he was a big part of our better performances last year and clearly struck up a great partnership with Stockley.

It made zero sense to me to get rid of him without a clear improvement on him guaranteed to come through the door. 

If we don't get a better ball playing midfielder in before the end of the window then that's a huge mistake in my eyes.
  • Options
    Shinnie took the best set pieces we've had in years. 
  • Options
    he's at his level move on
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    he's at his level move on
    Wish I could mate, where's the replacement to move on to?
  • Options
    i agree it isn't good but Shinnie isn't the answer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's still better than what we have, which is my point.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Clamouring for the likes of Shinnie and Amos who helped us achieve the lofty heights of 7th place…We need to stop romanticising about former players who were frankly very average. 

I know the current lot don’t look up to much, but retaining average journeyman players isn’t the answer.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    cafctom said:
    Clamouring for the likes of Shinnie and Amos who helped us achieve the lofty heights of 7th place…We need to stop romanticising about former players who were frankly very average. 

I know the current lot don’t look up to much, but retaining average journeyman players isn’t the answer.
    This. With bells on. There isn’t a member of last year’s squad that I’d have missed if they’d left. But what we have now is just substandard on so many levels. I’m amazed how many former players suddenly become brilliant in supporters’minds after they have left.