Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jorge Costa and Keith Jones

Sorry if there is already a thread for both these players but it's both their birthdays today... Jorge 49th and Keith' 55th... Jorge Costa was and is possibly one of best defenders I've seen in Charlton colours... Don't need to write the lyrics to the song we all know it 😉 and I'm lucky I saw Keith live in Charlton colours as well, one of the underrated players I've seen. Both fantastic players and gave 100% for our football club.

Comments

• Options
    55? Christ that makes me feel old!
  • Options
    I was lucky to see both in action, Keith definitely an underrated player and Jorge a legend in his own right and he hates F ing Millwall.

I ran into Keith at the sports facility where I played 8 a side. He was training some young kids, had a nice chat and said he enjoyed his time at Charlton and of course the Play Off final.
  • Options
    Costa could shield the ball out from the half way line. Amazing player.
  • Options
    55? Christ that makes me feel old!
    I was just thinking the same? Can’t believe he is 55! 
  • Options
    Jones and Kinsella were one of the midfield partnerships I can remember us having. Jones was so underrated - such a good player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    milo said:
    Its been a long time since I read the Curbishley autobiography, so hope this is accurate.  There is a couple of time he mentions Jones.  Firstly, when he signs him for Southend and they go to negotiate wages and Jones says 'just pay me whatever everyone else is on' and another time where he is told to man mark Paul Gascoigne, he said Jones took the job so seriously, that when Gascoigne went to the side of the pitch to change his shin pads (or receive treatment or similar), Paul Jones followed him over and stood there while Gascoigne was out of the game.  Eventually Boro subbed Gascoigne off.

That Boro game was mint. Jonah marked Gascoigne out of the game. Pretty sure Gascoigne gave away a penalty and didn't come out second half. 1-1 draw, if I remember right? 
  • Options
    Keith Jones - so many of us saying how underrated he was, maybe that means he is actually rated! 

Either way - that ball to set Mendonca clear at Wembley for goal 2. Top class
  • Options
    Keith Jones is my all time favourite player A vastly underrated player
  • Options
    Don't forget it was Jorge Costa (allegedly), who advised Curbs to buy Ronaldo, (shame Curbs ignored him)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jorge Costa.....what can you say.
    Never looked hurried or panicky, knew all the short cuts and more to get himself in exactly the right place over and over again......quite uncanny.
    I’ve seen some great central defenders in my 63 years of attending The Valley but have no hesitation in saying he was the finest. He was a colossus in defence and led the line in unsurpassed pomp......what a player.
    How close we were to seeing him and The Roof playing together......now that would have been something to behold!
    Thanks for the memories Jorge, as brief as they were.👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
    I had you down as a young whippersnapper?
  • Options
    Loved Jorge Costa and, as mentioned above, he certainly feels the same way from comments he has made on his IG account. An absolute beast of a man, but he also had a brilliant footballing brain.  What a team we had then. 

I was another to not really give Jonesy credit in the early days, but his work rate and just relentless pressure in a game were backed with a great passing ability.  Both superb players for us and many congratulations on the birthdays lads!  Saude!! 
  • Options
    Never looked hurried or panicky, knew all the short cuts and more to get himself in exactly the right place over and over again......quite uncanny.
    I’ve seen some great central defenders in my 63 years of attending The Valley but have no hesitation in saying he was the finest. He was a colossus in defence and led the line in unsurpassed pomp......what a player.
    How close we were to seeing him and The Roof playing together......now that would have been something to behold!
    My one project in life is to die young, whilst at the same time go on living for as long as possible.
    Soon to be 73 mate.
  • Options
    My one project in life is to die young, whilst at the same time go on living for as long as possible.
    Soon to be 73 mate.
    And you don't look a day over 74, eh?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Both great players. Jones was one of the most underrated players of all time, IMHO.  
    I wish I'd said that and got all the likes!

I think you're one of the most underrated posters on this forum IMHO @Algarveaddick
  • Options
    I wouldn't fancy being locked in room for 2 minutes with an angry Jorge Costa!
  • Options
    I don’t think there’s anyone that didnt rate Keith Jones 
  • Options
    Soon to be 73 mate.
    Long live the project.