Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Maatsen - following progress, now at Burnley on loan from Chelsea (p8)

Comments

• Options
    Haven’t been impressed with him for ages. Still think he’s got a bright future but fact is after a wonderful start he’s regressed massively. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Have we sucked the life out of him or was it just a flash in the pan that earlier form .
    I like him and would have him every day of the week over steady Benny 
    his commitment is unreal and he never stops charging around even if it is a bit headless 
    he’s in my starting 11
  • Options
    Thought he had a good game yesterday. After his debut against Blackpool lots of people were saying he was way too good for league 1, at the time i said this was premature. I’m guilty of this too but the narrative with a new signing often tends to be he’s either mustard or a bit of a dud. Maatsen is a absolutely fine for a league one team really but perhaps not hit the heights his only form suggested.
  • Options
    At the risk of being controversial..........the Bowyer effect?
  • Options
    When modern full backs break through, it's their attacking play which catches the eye first. Runs, crosses, shots etc. I remember Kieran Gibbs getting rave reviews when playing for England due to his attacking flair

The flaws in their defensive play take longer to emerge...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    No defensive brain. Saying that,he has cut out a lot of the needless fouls he was making a month or so ago. That was getting ridiculous!
    I agree he's not quite ready yet. Playing and training alongside someone with the experience of Gunter should of bought him on leaps and bounds,. It hasn't.
     But maybe that says more about Gunter than this kid.
  • Options
    He has certainly gone well off the boil. 
  • Options
    When modern full backs break through, it's their attacking play which catches the eye first. Runs, crosses, shots etc. I remember Kieran Gibbs getting rave reviews when playing for England due to his attacking flair

The flaws in their defensive play take longer to emerge...
    Quite right. Kyle Walker the same
  • Options
    FFS!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or just not as good as he first seemed when he was an unknown at this level? Being a pacey attacking full back was exciting and different compared to Purrington but after more time in the team his weaknesses are more obvious.

No doubt Bowyer's constant rotation and formation switches haven't helped players like Maatsen but players of his age often aren't consistent... it can't all be down to Bowyer.
  • Options
    When Maatsen first played for us, everyone thought he was better than Jay Dasilva at the same stage, I'm not so sure now.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Or just not as good as he first seemed when he was an unknown at this level? Being a pacey attacking full back was exciting and different compared to Purrington but after more time in the team his weaknesses are more obvious.

No doubt Bowyer's constant rotation and formation switches haven't helped players like Maatsen but players of his age often aren't consistent... it can't all be down to Bowyer.
    I'd say maatsen is consistent... consistently mediocre 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    PopIcon said:
    Apparently he's a defender! I'd rather eat a dog shit sandwich every pre match than have to watch him play for us.

passing - x
    tacking - x
    vision - x
    goals - x

It's clear you only watch Charlton so you can pick one of the players to slag off afterwards.

Leuth said:
    Nah, PopIcon has a rich recent history of ludicrous scapegoating player marks and weird grudges. Another Thundercock, but maybe even less funny
    I'm trying to think what recent players I've publicly dug out and none spring to mind. Are you sure you're not confusing me with Lee Bowyer?

I'm not using him as a scapegoat, I'm pointing out that he's useless. He has done nothing in the past four months to make me think otherwise.

You're publicly having a pop at me for having an opinion on player. It's posts like yours that echo those over on the Facebook Fans Group page.
  • Options
    'pointing out he's useless' - oh cool, maybe you'd like to point that out to Bowyer, the remainder of our squad, his coaches at Chelsea and the NL youth teams? Or maybe you can keep pointing it out to your fellow Charlton fans who still think he has quite a lot to offer? 

Here are some player marks you've handed out over the last few months, all discovered by going through your LOLs:

Pearce: 0
    Maatsen: 3

Maatsen: 0
    Williams: 0

Bogle: 1

You've always had it in for Maatsen and the occasional ridiculous low mark for other players can't mask that. You're a budget Thundercock. Congratulations. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    'pointing out he's useless' - oh cool, maybe you'd like to point that out to Bowyer, the remainder of our squad, his coaches at Chelsea and the NL youth teams? Or maybe you can keep pointing it out to your fellow Charlton fans who still think he has quite a lot to offer? 

Here are some player marks you've handed out over the last few months, all discovered by going through your LOLs:

You've always had it in for Maatsen and the occasional ridiculous low mark for other players can't mask that. You're a budget Thundercock. Congratulations. 
    Williams - gone
    Bogle - gone
    Peace - an accident waiting to happen
    Maatsen - one of the worst LBs we've had

We're in the 3rd division having one of our worst seasons on record. I've paid for my season ticket, I'm entitled to call a player lousy.

You're not entitled to start calling me names like some petulant child.

Jesus, grow up and get a life.
  • Options
    If you call Maatsen 'one of the worst LBs we've had' I will call you whatever the hell I want
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If you call Maatsen 'one of the worst LBs we've had' I will call you whatever the hell I want
    Are you Maatsens dad?. Come on let's just leave it at that we are all adults.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Going through the guys post history for his opinion on a player is weird 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Going through the guys post history for his opinion on a player is weird 
    A bit stalkerish...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hands up. I've given him a slating recently. But thought he was excellent last night.

Let's hope he can maintain this form.
  • Options
    Happy 19th birthday to Addicks left-back and @ChelseaFC loanee, @maatsen_ian #cafc
  • Options
    A certain person still gave him 4 in Player Marks. It's okay to admit you're wrong. I've given Pratley over 8 on several occasions ;) 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dont remember him finishing up front @ Ipswich
  • Options
    Hes played saturdays game at sunderland already it seems!
  • Options
    Just scored a fantastic goal for Coventry v Fulham. Well worth a watch if you get a chance.
  • Options
    I've been watching the game. He is playing really well and what a goal it was!
  • Options
    I've been watching the game. He is playing really well and what a goal it was!
    Very entertaining game.