Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stamp Collecting

Bit of a long shot but do we have any stamp collectors on here?

I have finally got around to sorting through my Mum's things following her passing last year and I have a lot of stamps in albums that are no use to me. Most, if not all range form the mid 80's through to the late 90's, early 2000.

I have looked at a cross section and there is nothing of value, most of them are sets commerating things such as Royal Weddings, Diana, animals of various varietys, famous people, landmarks and events etc. 

Happy to deliver in Kent/SE London if it means they are going to a good home.  

Comments

• Options
    Used to collect stamps, as many did, when I was a kid. Still got a couple of albums somewhere. 

One of my current passions is anything to do with Captain James Cook and maritime history, so if any of the collection relates to this, let me know. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Are you sure they aren't of any value? Maybe worth sticking them away for a few years or giving them to children/grandchildren/nephews/neices to start them off with a collection? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    stonemuse said:
    Used to collect stamps, as many did, when I was a kid. Still got a couple of albums somewhere. 

One of my current passions is anything to do with Captain James Cook and maritime history, so if any of the collection relates to this, let me know. 
    Hi SM,

Nothing as far back as Captain Cook however I do have the following with a "maritime" theme:

GPO (Royal Mail) posting to my mum dated July 1967 with a 1s 9p stamp on it commerating Sir Francis Chichester and Gypsy Moth IV. The stamp is on a commemerative envelope and franked.

4 x stamps (14p, 18p, 22p, & 25p) depicting old fishing trawlers, all on a commemerative envelope but not franked.

5 x stamps ( 15p, 19p, 24p, 26p & 29p) comemerating The Royal Navy.  Henry VIII/Mary Rose, Admiral Blake/Triumph, Lord Nelson/Victory, Lord Fisher/HMS Dreadnought & Viscount Cunningham/HMS Warspite. All stuck to a commemerative envelope slightly franked just on the edge.

4 x stamps commemerating Flags & Ensigns, packed in plastic with an information card, un-franked.

4 x stamps commemerating submarines, packed in plastic with an information card, un-franked.

5 x stamps commemerating light houses, packed in plastic with an information card, un-franked.
  • Options

I have finally got around to sorting through my Mum's things following her passing last year and I have a lot of stamps in albums that are no use to me. Most, if not all range form the mid 80's through to the late 90's, early 2000.

I have looked at a cross section and there is nothing of value, most of them are sets commerating things such as Royal Weddings, Diana, animals of various varietys, famous people, landmarks and events etc. 

@ricky_otto is your man.
  • Options
    You never know, may be worth getting a professional valuation.. assuming you're not in the trade yourself Mike? (Impressed by your maritime summary above;)  Stanley Gibbons are still going apparently and seem very approachable, others too, maybe more local.
    https://www.stanleygibbons.com/sell-to-us
  • Options

@ricky_otto is your man.
    The only thing I’m going to stamp on is you. 

I know f all about stamp collecting. 
  • Options
    I found a stamp collection  when I was clearing a relative's place and looked to sell it a few years back. Basically, anything that's UK post 1971 is worth more stuck on letters than sold as a collection, unless it is a genuine rarity. In fact, if it's stamps with 1st or 2nd rather than an amount, they'll go up in value when the Royal mail puts its prices up. If you look around you can sometimes find stamp dealers selling UK stamps at below face value for this very reason. 
  • Options

@ricky_otto is your man.

Liar. You are covered in tramp stamps.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

@ricky_otto is your man.

Liar. You are covered in tramp stamps.
    That’s true. 

Speaking of tramps - @ElfsborgAddick Is well on the road to recovery.