Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Footballers at their local teams experiment

2»

Comments

• Perhaps that was the millers hospital...... more towards the Ashburnham triangle of Greenwich as estate agents like to refer to it.... The Miller General Hospital was a hospital in Greenwich, London from 1884 until 1974. It was developed adjacent to an earlier dispensary, and was the first British hospital designed with circular wards, and one of the first to have an X-ray department.

My apologies Ken.
    Maybe I was thinking of a combination of the Millers hospital, plus St Alfeage school and St Alfeage church in that area.

PS I notice that the Danes were on the rampage in Greenwich.

During Alfege's time, Danish Vikings were regularly raiding the English coast and in the year 1011, they moved inland to sack Canterbury, pillaging the cathedral and massacring the local populace. In an attempt to restore peace and save innocent lives, Alfege offered himself as hostage and was taken in chains to Greenwich. On April 19th 1012, the Danes demanded 3,000 gold marks be paid in order to release the Archbishop but Alfege immediately let it be known that he would refuse to allow anyone to ransom him. As a result, the enraged Danes bludgeoned him to death with meat bones and stones and threw his body into the Thames. Alfege was the first Archbishop of Canterbury to die a violent death and following this outrage, the oar of a boat near to his body on the Thames foreshore reputedly blossomed into leaves and flowers. As a result of this miracle, the Danes allowed his body to be transferred to St Paul's Cathedral, where it remained for some eleven years before being moved to it's final resting place at Canterbury. Alfege was canonised in 1078 by Archbishop Lanfranc.

http://blitzwalkers.blogspot.com/2013/04/st-alfeges-greenwich-and-fuhrers.html
  • edited October 2020
    se9addick said:
    Horrified - I would count as a Palace player in this experiment;

Palace 3.2 miles

Millwall 7.3 miles

Charlton 8.2 miles

I need a period of reflection...
    I was born at Redhill Hospital (East Surrey)

Palace 15m
    Wimbledon 16m
    Millwall 23m
    Charlton 26m

Technically I'd be at Crawley.

• Born 0.9 miles from The Valley

Lived 0.7 miles from The Valley till 13 / 14
  • British Hospital For Mothers and Babies. Closed the week after I popped out. Couldn't be bettered apparently.......
    That hospital was closed in 1984... 
    Well yeah I know that, but the process started in '77 and it took 7 years to phase out.

That's what my mum always told me anyway....
    ..and it opened in May 1905, the month before Charlton Athletic was born! 

(I was born there too, as was my dad, uncle and brother, and my aunt was a midwife there until it closed - all CAFC)
  • Kings College so definitely Charlton.

As long as you ignore both Palace and Millwall which I have grown used to doing in recent years!
  • Surely where you went to school would be a better way to do this.
  • dickad1 said:
    British Hospital For Mothers and Babies. Closed the week after I popped out. Couldn't be bettered apparently.......
    That hospital was closed in 1984... 
    Well yeah I know that, but the process started in '77 and it took 7 years to phase out.

That's what my mum always told me anyway....
    ..and it opened in May 1905, the month before Charlton Athletic was born! 

(I was born there too, as was my dad, uncle and brother, and my aunt was a midwife there until it closed - all CAFC)
    11th of May an all, I was born on 10th May 1977
  • Went school 0.4 miles from The Valley
  • Surely where you went to school would be a better way to do this.
    It’s just a bit of fun mate, think the bloke that started n Twitter it has been laid off so has some time on his hands.
  • Yes, I appreciate that. But it is interesting. The only thing is, when you have clubs reasonably close together, the hospital may not be the best indicator. Schools would be even more interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am curious as to how Chelsea have come so far ahead of QPR in this - is there something about the maternity ward at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital compared with Hammersmith Hospital?