Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley on Film - 1940

edited October 2020 in General Charlton
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060006220

Great 1940 propaganda film, Britain at its lowest ebb and the foundation of the "we stood alone/blitz spirit" mythology but posted here for the drilling four minutes in.

And is that Jimmy Trotter front left in the V neck jumper

@Blitzwalker @SE7toSG3

Comments

• Options
    Saucy tease at 1'33".
  • Options
    love those old propaganda films. 
  • Options
    Talking Pics TV shows them on a regular basis via the IWM
  • Options
    Oi are you trying to undermine my chance of a promote by ignoring the 'Old Charlton Images' thread? 
    Acting just like Chelsea to undermine the opposition.

Nice find BTW.
  • Options
    Great video that great video that thanks @HenryIrving
  • Options
    Rare, brief glimpse of the old enclosure at the front of the west stand. Good find, cheers. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Saucy tease at 1'33".
    What did I miss ?
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that Henry.

At 67 years of age I can recall some of the flavour of that film from my childhood (although not the war bit!).

England was a much simpler place, and although we have all gained a lot since then I feel that we have lost a lot more.

I can remember, in the early 60s, bunking in to The Valley to see a reserve or Athenian League game on a sunny afternoon and walking around the ground two or three times while watching it, just because you could. Apart from the blind bit behind the stand of course.
  • Options
    love those old propaganda films. 
    Is it propaganda? It's a public information film, and yes a rallying cry, but not propaganda.

I think there's more propaganda daily on the news today than on that film.

Definition:
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, it's 100% propaganda
  • Options
    A slight aside, but interesting nevertheless. The mass produced stretchers seen at 5.10 were used after the war for fencing. Some remain in use in Marlborough Lane, just up from Charlton Village.

The block of flats at the bottom of Erlanger Road, New Cross Gate has (had? - haven't looked for quite a few years) them, too.
  • Options
    I still remember slightly, coming home from school in the 50s at Charlton Secondary, up Charlton Lane, onto Lansdown Mews towards Valley Grove and onto Charlton Village. My favourite day was Wednesday, (I think) when Charlton played some games in the afternoon and I could stop half way and watch, (Jimmy Seed stand was not there then).
  • Options
    A slight aside, but interesting nevertheless. The mass produced stretchers seen at 5.10 were used after the war for fencing. Some remain in use in Marlborough Lane, just up from Charlton Village.

The block of flats at the bottom of Erlanger Road, New Cross Gate has (had? - haven't looked for quite a few years) them, too.
    A quick drive down there on googleearth suggests they are no longer there..
  • Options
    Very good shots of The valley; my dad (RAF) was in Norway in 1940. They got chased home even before the lads at Dunkirk LOL!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Saucy tease at 1'33".
    What did I miss ?
    Steam coming up from the bottom.
  • Options
    'once again in a form of war, together we are one nation'.

Royal British Legion, 2020

No less propaganda than in 1940.