Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valliant 500

Does anyone know if there is an updated version of Colin Cameron's book?

Comments

• Options
    Not yet but @killerjerrylee is in the middle of writing the Valiant 1000

@stig and the cafc facts and stats website and twitter account have lists.

We're at 905
  • Options
    I wonder who number 1000 will be, who it will be against and in what competition. Do appearances in friendly matches count? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I wonder who number 1000 will be, who it will be against and in what competition. Do appearances in friendly matches count? 
    No
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    se9addick said:
    No
    Makes sense, Champions League it is then!
  • Options
    Great news, looking forward to it.

It took c.69 years to get to the first 500, and will take c. 31 years to get to 1,000. If you are into charts, and to entertain the sad statos like me out there, it would be good to include the trend as a line chart in the new book...

• Options
    Great news, looking forward to it.

It took c.69 years to get to the first 500, and will take c. 31 years to get to 1,000. If you are into charts, and to entertain the sad statos like me out there, it would be good to include the trend as a line chart in the new book...

Like this?

• Options
    That could be done. There are so many different stats that  would be fun to include. Do you know who has scored the most penalties for Charlton ? I spent a whole evening working it out recently. Now that is really sad. Who wants to give me the name?
  • Options
    Hales?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    That could be done. There are so many different stats that  would be fun to include. Do you know who has scored the most penalties for Charlton ? I spent a whole evening working it out recently. Now that is really sad. Who wants to give me the name?
    I reckon it'll be one of three, Derek Hales, Booby Curtis, or Mark Reid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another of the museum trustees (Ian/KillerjerryLee is one of seven) is also working on all the stats pre-1921.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Bob Curtis....

according to this:-

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/67088/successful-penalty-ratio-since-1946-1947-minimum-of-5-pens-taken/p1

• Options
    Dead right. Bob Curtis is the right answer. Now here is an easy one. Who has made the most substitute appearances for Charlton?
  • Options
    Jonatan Johansson ?
  • Options
    Dead right. Bob Curtis is the right answer. Now here is an easy one. Who has made the most substitute appearances for Charlton?
    Lisbie?
  • Options
    Not yet but @killerjerrylee is in the middle of writing the Valiant 1000

@stig and the cafc facts and stats website and twitter account have lists.

We're at 905
    https://cafcfactsstats.com/
  • Options
    Steve Gritt.
  • Options
    Keith Peacock?
  • Options
    The answer is Kevin Lisbie who made a mind boggling 108 league and cup appearances as a substitute. Now here is my final question of the day !! This one is a bit harder. Which former Charlton player holds (I believe) the record for having scored the fastest hat-trick of headed goals in Football league history? He got all three in a seven minute spell. All this information and much more will appear in Valiant 1000. I will give you the answer when I get home this afternoon, around 6 pm.
  • Options
    I should remember this because Ian told me but I can't. ☹️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Were these goals for us or another team?
  • Options
    Purely guesswork but is it Matt Tees? 
  • Options
    On the basis that I do not have a clue, I will plump for Jim Fryatt.
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani for Charlton, Cliff Hilton or Ron Saunders for another team.
  • Options
    Sorry but that was a tough one. On 6th April 1974 Lincoln City beat Bury 4-1 in a Division 4 league match. It was Dennis Booth, all 5' 7'' of him who scored three headed goals in one spell of seven minutes. I have checked but cannot find any other instance that beats that record. I should imagine the Bury defenders got a bit of a roasting from the manager.
  • Options
    Sorry but that was a tough one. On 6th April 1974 Lincoln City beat Bury 4-1 in a Division 4 league match. It was Dennis Booth, all 5' 7'' of him who scored three headed goals in one spell of seven minutes. I have checked but cannot find any other instance that beats that record. I should imagine the Bury defenders got a bit of a roasting from the manager.
    Saw Dennis Booth and the rest of the colts up on the pitch behind the War Memorial top of Shooters Hill, think it was a charity game of some sort back in the 60's.
  • Options
    I'm usually a fan of The Guardian's The Knowledge, but they had no mention of Booth when they covered headed hat-tricks. They had Jordan Rhodes with the record (8 mins), stating that the previous record was held by Dixie Dean (10 minutes). https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/the-knowledge-football-hat-tricks-headers

As is encouraged, readers wrote in the following week but again the Booth was empty. There was a story about Robert Lee getting a headed hat-trick for Newcastle v Antwerp and something about Sweden v USSR from the marvellously named Stig Wallerman. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/22/the-knowledge-football-black-out-laws