Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Barker - Signed a 3 year deal

Comments

• Good news. Now to get Alfie to sign a new contract - building for a better future 
  • edited October 2020
    Good news. Now to get Alfie to sign a new contract - building for a better future 
    Can't see Doughty signing a new contract now there's been interest from multiple clubs. This time tomorrow we'll all probably be talking about how his head has turned as well
  • about fucking time. I know i've only seen him once but after that Plymouth performance in the FA cup Barker would always be on the bench for me since, if not starting a few games. 
  • Let's hope his development continues, his talent blossoms and he becomes the Addicks main man in defence for a long time into the future
  • It shows if nothing else that he's next in line, and that no U23 CBs are able to step up
  • edited January 2021
    All that worries me with Barker starting is... Oshilaja

As someone mentioned the other day, he wasnt exactly great at the start of the season when he was required to be the senior CB

He's put in some good performances of late though so hopefully that was just a blip for Deji
  • All that worries me with Barker starting is... Oshilaja

As someone mentioned the other day, he wasnt exactly great at the start of the season when he was required to be the senior CB

He's put in some good performances of late though so hopefully that was just a blip for Deji
    Well, at best at Bristol Rovers, Barker is only going to sit on the bench.

It would take an injury/sending off at CB to sub him on.
    He could even be Deji's replacement!

But Deji has played well enough in the past 2 games. At least he's mobile and quick enough.
    Just don't dive in, Deji !

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    All that worries me with Barker starting is... Oshilaja

My concern also, however the counter argument to that he is has the very experienced 99 Welsh cap Gunter as his full back who didn't exactly excel himself helping Smyth out on Tuesday ................so as you were 😁.

• Can’t be bothered to debate the haircut during lockdown situation, but was curious if Barker is going to be in the squad next week, or is perhaps just travelling with them.

Good to see Adkins involving him in some way anyway. 

• Can’t be bothered to debate the haircut during lockdown situation, but was curious if Barker is going to be in the squad next week, or is perhaps just travelling with them.

Re the haircut. He’s young so probably still leaving at home with family, including his brother, so why can’t he give him a haircut?
  • edited April 2021

Can’t be bothered to debate the haircut during lockdown situation, but was curious if Barker is going to be in the squad next week, or is perhaps just travelling with them.

Re the haircut. He’s young so probably still leaving at home with family, including his brother, so why can’t he give him a haircut?
    Well exactly, that's why I said I don't want a debate about the haircut, as we have no idea about his personal situation, but sure people will come to their own conclusion anyway. I wanted to rather focus on if he may be involved with the first team in some capacity. 

But there we go, first reply was exactly about that anyway. 
  • edited April 2021
    He went from playing in the first team and not looking out of place, to seemingly being demoted from the U23s back to the u18s. Now this. What has gone on there?
  • Chunes said:
    He went from playing in the first team and not looking out of place, to seemingly being demoted from the U23s back to the u18s. Now this. What has gone on there?
    Probably in part to the fact we have 2 u23 center halves, plus Mingi that can't play for the U18s. 

If Barker played they would not be able to play any games at all, he can obviously still play for the U18s.

Henry, who is probably the better long term prospect, has also played U18s rather than u23s at times.

It's not a results business so managing everyone's development is the key.  I don't think there is any more to it tbh.

As an aside I think their inclusion in the 1st team squad in January was an undiscussed side effect of the salary cap rules. It was stupid that you have 19-23 year olds that didn't count towards the cap but you couldn't actually play them. As was the case with Lapslie. 
  • edited April 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Won’t be going on loan, neither will Henry. Seems more about age than anything, while it’s those in their early 20s and still in the u23s who are likely to be loaned out.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/young-charlton-athletic-duo-dont-need-loans-this-season-to-continue-their-playing-development/
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Won’t be going on loan, neither will Henry. Seems more about age than anything, while it’s those in their early 20s and still in the u23s who are likely to be loaned out.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/young-charlton-athletic-duo-dont-need-loans-this-season-to-continue-their-playing-development/
    Sounds like pure common sense.  The expectation on Barker on here last season was totally unrealistic and way over the top.

It's the likes of Wassim, Ghandour, Claydon, Vennings and Dempsey, or even Ness who seems to have taken Mingi's role as the forgotten man who either need to be playing for us, or someone else.  Sooner rather than later.  Last years U18s still have plenty of time, if they get in on merit great, if they are chucked in before they are ready it helps no one. 
    exactly, whats the point of an u23 team if you're sending your u18s out on loan? 
  • I wonder if Barker would/could convert into a tigerish centre midfielder. He has the bite, energy and style of play for it.

• mendonca said:
    I wonder if Barker would/could convert into a tigerish centre midfielder. He has the bite, energy and style of play for it.

My thoughts exactly. 
    Not tall enough for a centre half in my opinion. 
    And yes I know Perry was short but by and large a centre half needs to be six foot plus.
  • mendonca said:
    I wonder if Barker would/could convert into a tigerish centre midfielder. He has the bite, energy and style of play for it.

My thoughts exactly. 
    And yes I know Perry was short but by and large a centre half needs to be six foot plus.
    It doesn't make as much difference in the top leagues because you, even when Perry played, very rarely come up against 1 let alone 2 big strikers. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

My thoughts exactly. 
    It doesn't make as much difference in the top leagues because you, even when Perry played, very rarely come up against 1 let alone 2 big strikers. 
    I agree. 
    But we ain't in the top leagues. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

My thoughts exactly. 
    Which is one reason I thought Konsa had a lot of potential. For a L1 CB he wasn’t great in the air or the strongest physically, but that’s less valuable higher up while being good on the ball is more important.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

My thoughts exactly. 
    I agree. 
    Thats why I totally agree with you :smile:

I don't think Barker has a high enough ceiling to even consider it. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

My thoughts exactly. 
    I agree. 
    Thats why I totally agree with you :smile:

I don't think Barker has a high enough ceiling to even consider it. 
    Ahh I see what you meant now.
    Glad we all agree.