Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Sunderland | Saturday 3rd October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Football League One - Week Four

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland
Saturday 3rd October 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)

Introduction
Charlton return to the Valley this weekend still in search of their first points since the opening day of the season... A harsh defeat against Lincoln City last Sunday would remind Lee Bowyer and his fragile squad of the difficulties of football at this level, the majority of teams will try to contain those who should be fighting further up the table, combine that with the drop in refereeing and you truly dont want to be relying on intervention to achieve any victories!!

Yet the fixture list this season must surely have had a sense of humour, after all our last game at the Valley saw defeated: Play-Off Semi-Finalists from 2018/19 visiting - Now we've another team coming down from the North, even more intent on revenge!!

The Opposition
Name: Sunderland (5th) | Manager: Phil Parkinson
Ground: Stadium of Light
Last Result: Sunderland 1-0 Peterborough United

Just over a year ago there was a club who travelled to Wembley who climbed the mountain and wrote their legend!!... Of course in any game like that, with a victor there sadly has to be a loser and like just in 1998 it was to be Sunderland once again in what was a remarkable first repeat Play-Off Final!!

Sunderland fans once again would of course prove to be magnanimous in defeat and would go into last season hoping for a repeat of the following season twenty years ago when they would romp to (what was on that occasion) the First Division title - Unfortunately though it wasnt to be the case; Jack Ross would only last until October before being sacked by the Sunderland board, he would leave the club ironically after a 2-0 defeat at Lincoln City which saw the club in the final relegation spot... Phil Parkinson (well known in these parts) would take up the reigns as someone experienced of getting out of this League, yet the bad luck that all black cats seem to have lingers over the North East, they would finish outside the top six not just on PPG yet by a single point, leaving them to endure a third season in this tier!!

Third season syndrome at this level (as Charlton have found) can sometimes be third time lucky with the Addicks returning to the Championship at the third time of asking in each of their last two spells at this level - Sunderland have certainly strengthened once again this summer, the experience of Aiden O'Brien (Millwall), Bailley Wright (Bristol City) and Danny Graham (Blackburn Rovers) brought in to lead the charge!!

Another Play-Off Final between these two great sides cant happen again though!!... Can it?

Charlton Team News
For forty five minutes against Lincoln we looked a team that could be a serious threat at this level, it was the same against Doncaster Rovers to some extent... The problem in both games wasnt the fact that (for our efforts) we couldnt take our chances yet more the fact that once the opposition scored, we ourselves seemed to lose confidence to continue playing the way we'd started the game - In League One, scoring first is so important as so many teams will protect that advantage, to get promoted you must learn how to be resiliant in defence, but also learn how to break down these teams.

Against Sunderland you'd expect a more open game, yet that first goal will be so important so what does Bowyer do? - Marcus Maddison just signed on a Free will surely go on the bench at the very best yet even for 20-30mins could help make a difference if needed... We still need strengthening in areas and with this being our last game before the window closes its a chance to get some confidence and so pass that on to any new bodies coming into the building!!

Amos
Barker | Oshilaja | Famewo | Purrington
Oztumer | Pratley | Levitt 
Doughty | Washington | Maddison

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Watson | Davison | Williams | Aneke | Lapslie | Forster-Caskey

*The team will be updated should any new signings be announced today

Prediction
Charlton are certainly getting stronger and more depth yet has this fixture come a bit too soon? - Sunderland arrive in SE7 undefeated this season but its a run I dont see them keeping hold of for long, their narrow victory over Peterborough last week suggests they're not the same threat that started their first League One campaign in 2018/19... As I've already mentioned, the first goal is so important, the way we've played at times we deserve another victory as we've played better than what we did at Crewe on the opening day - Unfortunately you deserve nothing in this sport... You earn it!!

Comments

• Defence looks suspect 2-2 
  • The battle of the V neck jumpers ! 
  • edited October 2020
    Comfortable home win4-0.
  • edited October 2020
    We are too weak in defence and attack 0-2
  • edited October 2020
    I would go 

Amos
    Oshilaja Pratley Famewo Purrington
                           Watson
                      Williams/Lapslie Levitt/Gilbey 
              Washington        Doughty
                             Maddison
                             Aneke

Just have to hope one of Watson, Williams, Maddison and Aneke can last the full 90. Not sure how long Gilbey is out for or if his back.

• edited October 2020
    Shabby Preview... But tidies up my home page in advance of the game tomorrow. So thanks for the effort. 

I agree with your first team, bar Bonne gone, Davison in.

I'd have Morgan in ahead of Lapslie too. 

We'll win 2-1. 

Amos
    Barker | Oshilaja | Famewo | Purrington
    Oztumer | Pratley | Levitt | Doughty
    Davison | Washington

Substitutes Bench:
    Maynard-Brewer | Watson | Maddison | Williams | F.Caskey | Morgan
     | Aneke 
  • Scrub Bonne 
  • I'd love Aneke to start but will he be fit enough?
  • shuffs67 said:
    Scrub Bonne 
    Bowyer has done it to me deliberately!!... I held fire for this specific reason
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have Watson for Oztumer every time and find room for Maddison, who on his day can be a game changer, trouble s his 'days' have been few and far away lately, let's hope a change will do him the world of good and get him re-motivated.
    Defence is still a worry. We need a right back, possibly a left back and another central defender a s a p. Famewo is still too inexperienced to be totally reliable .. left back .. I saw Ryan Haynes of Newport versus us for Shrewsbury a couple of seasons back, he is good and is playing well in L2
    Sunderland ? .. their team still does not do justice to the honourable name, we have nothing to fear. The 'takeover bounce' will have reinvigorated the whole club and we will win this .. JUST ((:>)

CAFC 2 v Sunderland 1
  • 1-0 Charlton, Maddison, last minute goal then he bends down drops his shorts, showing the tattoo  on his arse.
  • I am going to go for Sunderland win 1-2, defence looks suspect and need a few more signings to compete and to settle. 

Prove us wrong Charlton :) 
  • Nicholas said:
    I would go 

Amos
                           Watson
                             Maddison
                             Aneke

Just have to hope one of Watson, Williams, Maddison and Aneke can last the full 90. Not sure how long Gilbey is out for or if his back.

Aneke was not fit even before his Covid layoff. Maddison is definitely not fit, Williams is currently crap and can't play more than 45m. Watson also not ready for 90. It will be a very weak team tomorrow. Gilbey also out. 

Amos
    Barker Oshilaja Famewo Purrington
           Lapslie  Pratley Levitt Doughty
            Washington Davison

Probably only 3/4 of them good/experienced enough for a promotion team

• well, unless we somehow magic up a striker i can only see a loss. 
  • 1-1 draw.

Already looking forward to us meeting in the play off final again this season 
  • both our squads are much worse than the last time we met. I was overconfident in my prediction of the last game and I think we're going to lose again. 
  • Nicholas said:
    I would go 

Amos
                           Watson
                             Maddison
                             Aneke

That’s 12 players. Gilbey won’t be back until closer to November, and Aneke might not even be in the squad. Two weeks of solid training will do him the world of good though.
  • edited October 2020
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    Impossible to name the starting eleven imo as we have no idea of the fitness  (or lack of ) of several players. 
    As I rate Bowyer as much better tgan Parkinson  I'm going 2.1 Charlton. 
    Maddison to come on for the last 20 minutes and get the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Change of plan rubbish at the back and week up top
  • Bowyer to deploy his revolutionary 3-6-1 formation for this match!

Sunderland aren't great, they've been getting results without looking especially good. But then they've had a massive rebuilding in the summer. I suspect they'll have enough to win, say 2-1

• We need to move the game to Wembley. At The Valley, I fancy three points to head north.
  • Sadly I think we will struggle, unless there are signings lined up that put pen to paper before Noon today and are just waiting to be announced.....1-1 draw is the best I can currently hope for.
  • Cant see past a loss personally, tomorrow is our last preseason friendly. Our season has to hit the ground running post the international break. 
  • think we will lose and then as of the game after this our season starts - got a few players in now and need to get the ball rolling. 
  • Bowyer to deploy his revolutionary 3-6-1 formation for this match!

Sunderland aren't great, they've been getting results without looking especially good. But then they've had a massive rebuilding in the summer. I suspect they'll have enough to win, say 2-1

God almighty.  30 players out?
  • Uboat said:
    I want to see a proper Astrit Ajdarevic performance from Maddison. Some great touches, maybe a goal then flat on his back, with a pie and a fag by the 20 minute mark. 
    Ajdarevic was the greatest character of our Duchatalet imports.   At his best he looked far too good for us but he didn't last long enough to make the impact he should have done.  Probably his most telling contribution was the corner from which Jacko scored his last gasp winner against QPR.  I also seem to remember a really funny  video of him arriving at the club in a taxi.  If only he could have lasted more than a quarter of the match!