Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Thomas Sandgaard - The Moonshot 🚀

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I still maintain that the biggest challenge in getting success is finding the right manager. Owners can waste years on achieving any success by hiring the wrong man. 

For me Lee Bowyer has absolutely earned the right to be given his chance   with a proper owner and proper resources. Given the circus Charlton have been right throughput his tenure he has been fantastic. We all hope that Lee is part of Sandgaards journey but I suspect perhaps for the very first time that Lee will be under the microscope. Personally I’ve more or less written this season off but I’m expecting exciting football and a real promotion push next. 
    Getting the right manager is the second most important part.  Getting the player trading right is more important. 

The more money you have the more mistakes you can make.  Bournemouth, us, Bolton, Leicester (when O'Neil had gone), Sunderland the list goes on.  Were all established Premier league sides and made bad, or aweful recruitment decisions, that they couldn't afford to rectify. 
    And I presume it was a manager that made those choices ?
    Not necessarily, Southampton's relative success was when the manager wasn't responsible for it.  Same at Brentford now.

Also it wasn't our managers that agreed the fees for Gomez, Grant, Pope et al.

Of course the manager is important but having someone in charge of buying and selling, who is actually good at it is vital. 
    The model of having a coach and not a manager has never caught on in this country. A good manager wouldn’t be happy to release control of who he signs and why. Certainly they might have someone who does some of the legwork but the best teams don’t just buy the best players. They buy the best players that fit in with the team and have the right attitude. I’ve seen multiple comments on here as to why Maddison wouldn’t be good for our club despite his record on scoring goals. The day to day man management of players is done by the manager on the training ground. To get more than the sun of its parts out of a team the manager has to have total confidence in his players. Something he has to be in control of. I’m not saying the the other system can’t work but I’m willing to bet most successful managers demand the final say. 
  • Options
    One thing I am a bit worried about is that League 1 is certainly a slog - Will Lee Bowyer be given enough time to get us out of it? How many seasons is enough time?
  • Options
    One thing I am a bit worried about is that League 1 is certainly a slog - Will Lee Bowyer be given enough time to get us out of it? How many seasons is enough time?
    Will he be given enough time?  Yes, of course! He's got the whole season. 
  • Options
    Bring in Curbs as DOF
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with ambition, and Thommo certainly has it 
    in spades, thing is maintaining that level, and improving at
    the required rate.
    I feel the Championship is achievable within next two years
    and Prem within five, but the Europe thing is a bit OTT.
    But hey..we all have a dream eh ;)
  • Options
    My target is stabilisation this year and escape from League One (upwards) next year. After that, let's see where we are.
    I can't see that Lee Bowyer will be content treading water this season.

We've not made the best start, particularly with a makeshift defence - but it's early days yet, with 43 games to play and the green light to add some quality to the squad during the next couple of weeks.

I don't see any reason for stabilisation this year (that's what you do when you've just been promoted, rather than relegated) - and pretty sure Bowyer feels the same. This squad is in the process of being strengthened; while it may take a short time to gel, once it does it'll see us progressing up the table.

I can remember in recent seasons, teams like Barnsley, Blackburn, Wigan, Luton and Millwall winning promotion off the back of a dreadful start. It can be done and frequently so. Even 2 seasons ago, our promotion was fuelled by a 12 game stunning run finishing the season.

Look at it from Bowyer's perspective. "All to play for", he'll tell you.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    It would be very difficult for someone to take the reins of a "beleaguered third tier team desperately in need of reinforcements,  a still relatively inexperienced manager and coaching staff, a magnificent stadium that is coming up for some TLC and a training ground that is less than half way through a vital upgrade" and turn it into a club that regularly competes in Europe.  However, there are some things that need to be borne in mind. 

1. Thomas Sandgaard has done the impossible, by buying a club that wasn't allowed to be sold, agreeing a deal with a landlord it's impossible to do deals with and re-uniting and re-invigorating a desperate, bewildered and fractured fanbase. So the merely "very difficult" needn't be so much as a challenge for him. 

2. Manchester City have done exactly the same.  Within fifteen years of playing in the third tier, they had won their third Premier League title.  If you told Thomas Sandgaard that Manchester City has exceeded that target, he would want to know why anyone thinks Charlton Athletic can't achieve it. 

3. Leicester City moved from tier 3 to Premier League champions in seven years.  If you told Thomas Sandgaard that Leicester City had exceeded the target in half the time, he would want to know why anyone thinks Charlton Athletic can't achieve it. 

Set yourself an ambitious target and you may well miss it.  But, would any current Charlton fan right now complain if within fifteen years we were "only" a mid-table, well-run, profitable Premier League team?  

One more thing.  To win games in fifteen years' time, we will need players who are about eight, nine or ten years old right now.  Who are you going to sign for at that age?  A team desperate to cling on to its L1 status, or a team with an ambitious owner, heading to take the club as high as it can?  

I think that, under Thomas Sandgaard, every single stakeholder in Charlton Athletic - players, staff, supporters and ambitious, young footballers - is going to have to re-set their outlook.  In the simplest terms, for the first time ever, kids playing for Charlton are going to have to make sure they have one extra piece of vital equipment before they can consider themselves a footballer.  A passport. 
    Agree with most of this, the only caveat being that the Man.City and Leicester owners are 'considerably richer than TS' (to be said in a Black Country accent).
    And both Man City and Leicester were clubs who could still draw (genuine) crowds of 25k plus, and in Man City’s case considerably more, at third tier level. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Bring in Curbs as DOF
    Why, Gallen has to date been brilliant.  I agree that Bowyer could benifit from a Curbs type on his coaching staff though.  Even its its not hands on.  Curbs had Peacock. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It would be very difficult for someone to take the reins of a "beleaguered third tier team desperately in need of reinforcements,  a still relatively inexperienced manager and coaching staff, a magnificent stadium that is coming up for some TLC and a training ground that is less than half way through a vital upgrade" and turn it into a club that regularly competes in Europe.  However, there are some things that need to be borne in mind. 

1. Thomas Sandgaard has done the impossible, by buying a club that wasn't allowed to be sold, agreeing a deal with a landlord it's impossible to do deals with and re-uniting and re-invigorating a desperate, bewildered and fractured fanbase. So the merely "very difficult" needn't be so much as a challenge for him. 

2. Manchester City have done exactly the same.  Within fifteen years of playing in the third tier, they had won their third Premier League title.  If you told Thomas Sandgaard that Manchester City has exceeded that target, he would want to know why anyone thinks Charlton Athletic can't achieve it. 

3. Leicester City moved from tier 3 to Premier League champions in seven years.  If you told Thomas Sandgaard that Leicester City had exceeded the target in half the time, he would want to know why anyone thinks Charlton Athletic can't achieve it. 

Set yourself an ambitious target and you may well miss it.  But, would any current Charlton fan right now complain if within fifteen years we were "only" a mid-table, well-run, profitable Premier League team?  

One more thing.  To win games in fifteen years' time, we will need players who are about eight, nine or ten years old right now.  Who are you going to sign for at that age?  A team desperate to cling on to its L1 status, or a team with an ambitious owner, heading to take the club as high as it can?  

I think that, under Thomas Sandgaard, every single stakeholder in Charlton Athletic - players, staff, supporters and ambitious, young footballers - is going to have to re-set their outlook.  In the simplest terms, for the first time ever, kids playing for Charlton are going to have to make sure they have one extra piece of vital equipment before they can consider themselves a footballer.  A passport. 
    Agree with most of this, the only caveat being that the Man.City and Leicester owners are 'considerably richer than TS' (to be said in a Black Country accent).
    And both Man City and Leicester were clubs who could still draw (genuine) crowds of 25k plus, and in Man City’s case considerably more, at third tier level. 
    Source? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Yep.  And, as I pointed out, both those clubs far exceeded the plans and timescale suggested for Charlton.  
  • Options
    Reading about successful business men it always highlights them having goals and milestones.  Your day to day decisions come naturally if you know where you want to get.  The path you take might deviate from the planned route as you overcome obstacles, you just aim for each milestone in turn until you reach the goal.

You might run out of steam and grind to a halt if you just have a milestone, like getting out of league 1, as a goal
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Chizz said:

Man City average attendance in the third tier since 1966 - 0. Attendance figures are difficult to find for their little stint in the 90s.

Leicester City - League 1 average attendance 2008/2009 - 20,340.

It's only been around 31,500 in the premium loog. That's over 1000 spare seats even given their success.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Man City average attendance in the third tier since 1966 - 0.
    They've not been in the third tier since at least then.

It's only been around 31,500 in the premium loog. That's over 1000 spare seats even given their success.
    Weren't city in the 3rd tier in 99/00?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Sorry you may be right I've just noticed 4 years of attendance figures are missing.

No I take it back, that was the year they were second to us.

The source doesn't have 96/97, 97/98, 98/99 or 99/00.

However they definitely finished second to us in that last season.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Man City haven’t been in the third tier since 1966?. Hmmm, I’ve watched my team play at Man City in the third tier, and that was a long time after 1966, and there was 30k there that day! 

And correct, the last time Leicester played in the third tier they averaged 20k (Charlton averaged 11k in the last three seasons they played in the third tier btw) ,  but they also drew 25.5k for a game and 30k for another, so as I correctly stated, Leicester could draw crowds of 25k plus while playing third tier football. 

And as I say, these are genuine crowds. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Man City haven’t been in the third tier since 1966?. Hmmm, I’ve watched my team play at Man City in the third tier, and that was a long time after 1966, and there was 30k there that day! 

And correct, the last time Leicester played in the third tier they averaged 20k (Charlton averaged 11k in the last three seasons they played in the third tier btw) ,  but they also drew 25.5k for a game and 30k for another, so as I correctly stated, Leicester could draw crowds of 25k plus while playing third tier football. 

How do you know they were genuine crowd sizes? Bit of a leap of faith there..

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sorry you may be right I've just noticed 4 years of attendance figures are missing.

No I take it back, that was the year they were second to us.

The source doesn't have 96/97, 97/98, 98/99 or 99/00.

However they definitely finished second to us in that last season.
    Yeah, I'm missing about four years as well. That's drugs for you.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Yeah good point, they may have sold season tickets at dirt cheap prices and included those in the attendance figures even if the season tickets were used or not, or given thousands of tickets away to the local community, and included those in the attendance figures, even if they was used or not. But I just can’t see Leicester being the sort of club to have the need to do that. 
  • Options
    It’s good to dream but the problem is with overly optimistic expectations the wally part of our fan base will become impatient as we slog it out in League One for a year or three and then the Championship will be longer than that .

its gonna end in tears but there’ll be fun to be had on the way .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Yeah good point, they may have sold season tickets at dirt cheap prices and included those in the attendance figures even if the season tickets were used or not, or given thousands of tickets away to the local community, and included those in the attendance figures, even if they was used or not. But I just can’t see Leicester being the sort of club to have the need to do that. 
    Why don't you go somewhere else and make your snide digs? Do we make you nervous, is that why you feel the need to come here?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

How many comps do Millwall give to local community / schools ? @MillwallFan
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Lmao picking the last three seasons for us doesn't work, we have had thousands of fans boycotting in desperate attempts to be rid of a scummy owner. 

We also drew 25,400 in the last season of those three for a game. 

I admit I was wrong on Man Shitty not being in the third, tired moment. However the attendance figures don't seem to exist online so I'll doubt your figures personally unless you attended their every game.
  • Options
    City's average attendance in the 1998/99 season was a remarkable 28,261

• Options
    I remember in the prem years when we beat spurs away one Christmas.
    Parker was on fire. Think Carlton Cole scored!
    Seems odd to say now but I honestly felt we would give any team in that league a run for their money. None of them looked forward to playing us.

Give me that again Tommy and I'll be forever in your debt.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

How many comps to Millwall give to local community / schools ?
    0 apparently, same goes for Leicester and Man City.

I admit they're bigger clubs with bigger fan bases, but that's more about lack of local opposition clubs.

If the South London clubs were one we'd have one club with 45,000 capacity in a bad season and probably over 60k as an average.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

How many comps to Millwall give to local community / schools ?
    0 apparently, same goes for Leicester and Man City.

I admit they're bigger clubs with bigger fan bases, but that's more about lack of local opposition clubs.

If the South London clubs were one we'd have one club with 45,000 capacity in a bad season and probably over 60k as an average.
    What an awful thought lol

and Man City lack local opposition clubs?? Really?? 

Anyway, my point wasn’t a snide dig. I just don’t think Charlton are as big a club as most of you on here think, Chizz being the prime example with that post of his. A medium sized club with a bit of potential yeah, but being talked about as if you’re in the same category as Man City, or even Leicester. Come on. 

OohAah is about the only grounded one on here at the moment. 

Anyway, can see I’m about as welcome as a fart on this thread so I’ll bid you farewell for now. 

Congratulations on your takeover. Hopefully you’ll be able to give us a game when we next meet, when ever that will be 😉 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Sorry, I must apologise for my fellow addicks, they forgot you and city were kicking around in the 3rd tier while we were in the premier league.  You can throw that one back to me when your in the prem :wink:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Sorry, I must apologise for my fellow addicks, they forgot you and city were kicking around in the 3rd tier while we were in the premier league.  You can throw that one back to me when your in the prem :wink:

Next season then? (You heard it here first 😁)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Next season then? (You heard it here first 😁)
    Done, you give a nifty to the up beats if you don't go up.  I'll stand on south bermondsey Station in just a Charlton scarf if you do?