Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 15 September | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    If only our players were fit.
  • Options
    Very good second half which we shaded .Barker continues to impress and was our best defender . Levitt Gilbey Doughty will be quality midfield for League one 
    Barker was good, but Oshi was better. 
  • Options
    Do other clubs spend so much time continually getting 'minutes into the legs' of unfit players?  

Surely training ground drills can recreate match-like situations so players can play 90 minutes when called upon.  If their bodies just can't take the continual jarring etc then they're in the wrong career.

• Options
    I'm finding it all quite tiring too. 
  • Options
    Very good second half which we shaded .Barker continues to impress and was our best defender . Levitt Gilbey Doughty will be quality midfield for League one 
    I was going to post near the same. 
    Played better than we did against Crewe, and it’s a shame we didn’t get the goal our efforts deserved. Levitt could be a very good signing, Gilbey too. 
    Barker is a real talent. Lucas Ness’ old school mates are winding him up because Barker got picked over him :-)
    Ozzy just needs a few games. Aneke too. 
    Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020

It looked as if it was going to be a very, very long night after Haller headed the Happy Hammers into a two goal lead after 25 minutes, but happily we got our tackle together and put up a decent enough showing in the circumstances. Well, largely.

The first half, especially the first bit, was passive to say the least, as we waited for West Ham to do the necessary. I was baffled by the first goal and the fact that their guy seemed the best part of 10 feet ahead of our defenders, although it was a lovely chipped ball by Josh Cullen and maybe our defenders were sleeping on the job as the attacker timed his run. There was certainly no excuse for Oshi casually strolling back in the hope of the lino raising his flag when he should have been busting a gut to put pressure on Haller. The second goal was a lovely cross from Snodgrass and header from Haller - my only complaint being the total openness in midfield leading up to the cross and the absence of any pressure whatsoever on the delivery into the box (I’ve got bad memories of Snodgrass from our 2016 game at Hull).

I thought we did pretty well in the second half, without ever threatening West Ham’s progress into the next round. Chuks Aneke caused a fair bit of consternation up top and we threatened to get back into the game without ever quite delivering. The late goal underscored West Ham’s supremacy  but we avoided humiliation and can take some positives.

In defence, I thought that Amos did well, as did Barker. Williams was probably our best player on the night, although Doughty showed a few flashes of class and Levitt, after an anonymous start, slid through some very nice forward passes in the second half. Oztumer’s ‘give and go’ will present a lot of League 1 teams with trouble if Lee can accommodate him into his system.

Up top, Bonne had a quiet game, but he had next to no service in a first half where we rarely ventured beyond the halfway line and generally punted the ball aimlessly at their big centre-halves. We were better in the second half and Aneke confirmed his usefulness as a good impact sub, although, given his inability to last 90 minutes, I think we need 4 strikers in the squad in addition to him.

On a different note, it was really good to see Josh Cullen have such a fine game. He barely exited the centre circle in dictating play as West Ham’s midfield pivot - a kind of massively slimmed down version of Jan Molby for Liverpool in the first game of the season in August 1988 (which, from memory, we also lost 3-0). I really hope that Josh gets a chance at West Ham. They could certainly do with someone with his commitment to the cause, especially in a squad with many players/mercenaries who feel like they are passing through. He is a great young professional and his contribution to our club will certainly not be forgotten.

On to Donny on Saturday - at least we’ll not be facing a £100 million front three.

• Options
    P.S. With no disrespect to the Carabao Cup streaming man - who appeared to be commentating from his kitchen (when he eventually started around 10 minutes in) - I'm really looking forward to hearing Terry and Greg back on the airwaves on Saturday.
  • Options
    Also, Williams with two shots on target. Brilliant. 
    He didn't score though did he? Still not scored for us.
  • Options
    First watch of the season for me, nope not missed it one bit .
    Lame first half from us and we improved to shit in the second half , when half the whammers team fell asleep .
    This takeover can’t come soon enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    Also, Williams with two shots on target. Brilliant. 
    He didn't score though did he? Still not scored for us.
    Only 4 career goals, and only 1 in the last 5 years. I am not expecting him to score for us.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Blucher said:
    P.S. With no disrespect to the Carabao Cup streaming man - who appeared to be commentating from his kitchen (when he eventually started around 10 minutes in) - I'm really looking forward to hearing Terry and Greg back on the airwaves on Saturday.
    I listened to Terry and Greg on VP while watching the stream. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Honestly thought first half we were awful. 

Bonne cannot be blamed for that he had zero service.

I'd have brought Morgan on for his passing around 60"

Second half we were better, but that apparently coincided with Bow's instructions to attack West Ham.

Aneke really needs to get out and sort his cardio. To be blowing 15 mins after coming on is shameful for an 'athlete'.

I like Aneke, but I can see why he has struggled to find his way back up the pyramid with such poor fitness and injury record.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Honestly thought first half we were awful. 

Bonne cannot be blamed for that he had zero service.

I'd have brought Morgan on for his passing around 60"

Second half we were better, but that apparently coincided with Bow's instructions to attack West Ham.

Aneke really needs to get out and sort his cardio. To be blowing 15 mins after coming on is shameful for an 'athlete'.

I like Aneke, but I can see why he has struggled to find his way back up the pyramid with such poor fitness and injury record.
    It's a hard one for Aneke. If he goes full out in training, he's likely to tear a muscle. If he doesn't go full out, then he's only good for 15 mins at top whack. I doubt we shall ever see him play a 90 minute game. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Blucher said:
    A much better arrangement - will remember that in future
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Blucher said:
    A much better arrangement - will remember that in future
    Tel & Greg were about four seconds ahead of the video feed, so I had to use the pause button. They’re such a good commentary duo. 
  • Options
    After watching the match i felt quite optimistic on getting out of Div 3 at the end of this season especially when the 8 that’s going to generate turn up. Onwards and upperwards!
  • Options
    big striker scores two goals ? .. perhaps that indicates where we are most vulnerable, central defence 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of positives to take from the game imo

Barker looked class once again
    Aneke was lively when he came on
    We went 60 minutes without conceding to a front 3 worth £105m
    Levitt grew into the game after a shaky start and looked tidy at times
    We were the better team for large parts of the second half

And most importantly, no injuries. Focus on the league.
       Totally agree with you Josh 👍👍
       Some Muppet by the name of Stephen Jones
       Tweeted after Lee Bowyer summed up last nights game “looking forward to Bowyer getting some funds, then we can see if he is that good a manager” ................for Fucks sake the man has done an amazing job considering the shit he has had to put up with, and the conmen twats that have caused us so much harm.
    only a complete Muppet could not see already what a great manager he will be for Charlton correctly backed and supported.👍👍👍👍
    Bowyer is a Top Man !!
  • Options
    Good run out for a disjointed team.
    That will go a long way to helping the boys understand the system Bowyer has had to throw together.
    Good minutes in the legs too as the game was played on a bigger pitch at a higher pace than what we can expect in league one.

• Options
    big striker scores two goals ? .. perhaps that indicates where we are most vulnerable, central defence 
    Well, 45m striker scores 2 goals against League One centre backs as well
  • Options
    We always struggle against big centre forwards. Steve Morrison, Matt Smith or any old lump we can’t deal with!
  • Options
    Well, 45m striker scores 2 goals against League One centre backs as well
    No wonder he scored if he's that tall!!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Are those 2 west ham players 7 foot tall?  Even if Ozzy is 1 ft taller than some players he would still be up to their shoulder..
  • Options
    Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to concede a headed goal against him?
    Don't rub it in. We all remember!

• Options
    Keep hold of all our players (doughty in particular) and add the 6/7 and we are in for an entertaining season - the likes of aneke, otzumer and oshalaja should be more at home in league 1 - if aneke stays fit he could have a great season. Pleased to see LB chatting to Cullen on way off pitch - getting him back again would be great.
  • Options
    Such a shame about Aneke’s fitnesses issues, but tbh without them there’s no way he’d be  plying his trade in L1.
    Having paid ten quid to watch the feed yesterday you’d think they’d allow you to watch again. I missed the first few minutes, and would actually happily watch the last 60 minutes again. 
    Lots more positives that there were in the Crewe game, where the three points added a gloss to a lacklustre performance, I felt. Credit to Lee Bowyer for that. 
    When we went 2-0 down I feared a real drubbing, and yet when they scored their third I was gutted, as I felt that 2-1 wouldn’t have flattered us.