Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of Britain Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    Saw Spitfires flying over Beachy Head yesterday.....was a nice surprise.

It was an amazing thing to see; not least the impressive flying skills on show.  Poignant too.
  • Options

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    They saved Britain and by their sacrifice and immeasurable courage paved the way for the world to be saved from the evil of Nazism.
    The 'Few' - heroes never to be forgotten.

Possibly more accurate to say they stopped the Iron Curtain spreading as far as Calais but that doesn't downplay their sacrifice and courage.
  • Options
    We have a daily reminder of the bravery of the pilots who flew, and beauty of the planes they used, when the spitfires go over Eynsford a number of times every day. Love the sound of the engine.
    There is something unique about the sound of that Merlin engine isn't there?

Despite my age I can assure you I'm post war. For those who experienced it it must be so evocative

@HugoZHackenbush Marx Brothers fan by any chance?
  • Options
     I wonder how many Lifers on here now, actually lived through the Battle of Britain.  I remember, as a small boy, the Blitz very well.   I would be yanked out of bed,  in what seemed the middle of the night, at the first sound of the sirens, and taken down the garden by my Mum, to a cold and damp air raid shelter, no sleep because of the noise of the raid going on over head.  Once the "all clear" sounded, it was back to bed to try and get some sleep, before school in the morning.  The walk to school next morning was always interesting, picking up  any pieces of shrapnel or bullet and cannon casings we could find, only to have them confiscated when we got to school.  The sound of a spitfire was a special sound, and one afternoon later on, a group of us had gone up to Keston ponds for some fishing, and general larking around, when a spitfire flew over head,.heading for Biggin Hill I suspect, doing a victory roll.   We all give him a big cheer. At the time, all great fun for us boys during those years, but thinking back, how close we might have came to being killed.  Makes you think.
    interesting that you weren't evacuated

My Dad lived in Napier St, Deptford.  He wasn't evacuated and I think most of the kids living nearby weren't either, probably because their parents couldn't afford it.  Also, as evacuation was from the cities to the countryside, would someone hear Keston ponds be evacuated?
  • Options
     I wonder how many Lifers on here now, actually lived through the Battle of Britain.  I remember, as a small boy, the Blitz very well.   I would be yanked out of bed,  in what seemed the middle of the night, at the first sound of the sirens, and taken down the garden by my Mum, to a cold and damp air raid shelter, no sleep because of the noise of the raid going on over head.  Once the "all clear" sounded, it was back to bed to try and get some sleep, before school in the morning.  The walk to school next morning was always interesting, picking up  any pieces of shrapnel or bullet and cannon casings we could find, only to have them confiscated when we got to school.  The sound of a spitfire was a special sound, and one afternoon later on, a group of us had gone up to Keston ponds for some fishing, and general larking around, when a spitfire flew over head,.heading for Biggin Hill I suspect, doing a victory roll.   We all give him a big cheer. At the time, all great fun for us boys during those years, but thinking back, how close we might have came to being killed.  Makes you think.

My Dad lived in Napier St, Deptford.  He wasn't evacuated and I think most of the kids living nearby weren't either, probably because their parents couldn't afford it.  Also, as evacuation was from the cities to the countryside, would someone hear Keston ponds be evacuated?

My Dad was evacuated twice, first time to Sheppey - I remember him telling me how he and friends were strafed by a Luftwaffe plane when out walking near Sheerness. He came back, as it wan't safe (surprise surprise) and then evacuated to Devon.
  • Options
    We lived in the suburbs, I don't know why we were not thought to be at risk, although I was packed off to some relatives in Aylesbury for a couple of months.
  • Options
    My mum was evacuated from Stoke Newington to Sawbridgeworthth at the age of 7.
    Incredible times. 
  • Options
    My dad was evacuated to Kemsing which wasn't a lot safer than Shooters Hill! My parents  lived about 50 yards and 100 yards respectively from The Eagle in Red Lion Lane which suffered a direct hit during the War.

My mum went to Abertillery in Wales with Eltham Hill School which was safer although she hated it there and later returned home.
  • Options
    Remember being in tears a few months ago seeing a Spitfire at the Imperial War Museum. First time I'd have seen one since being an adult and although I could never comprehend what they went through, I feel like with age you gain more understanding. They have lots of things there, everything else felt like I was looking at an object, but something about seeing the Spitfire, knowing what they did, what that plane did... Was just so moving. 

All those that served in the RAF are heroes. The Battle of Britain Memorial on Embankment is also a really emotional place. 

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Indeed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Remember being in tears a few months ago seeing a Spitfire at the Imperial War Museum. First time I'd have seen one since being an adult and although I could never comprehend what they went through, I feel like with age you gain more understanding. They have lots of things there, everything else felt like I was looking at an object, but something about seeing the Spitfire, knowing what they did, what that plane did... Was just so moving. 

All those that served in the RAF are heroes. The Battle of Britain Memorial on Embankment is also a really emotional place. 

Indeed. 
    If you've not been mate, the BoB memorial at Capel-Le-Ferne is well worth a visit. 

I did 28 years, and the 15th Sept each year is pretty special. Never forgotten. Proud to have served in the shadow of what our forefathers achieved in 1940. We had many other achievements, of course, but that was unequalled. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Indeed. 
    If you've not been mate, the BoB memorial at Capel-Le-Ferne is well worth a visit. 

I did 28 years, and the 15th Sept each year is pretty special. Never forgotten. Proud to have served in the shadow of what our forefathers achieved in 1940. We had many other achievements, of course, but that was unequalled
    Thanks for that, will definitely go there. 

I couldn't agree more with that statement. There have been many individual and collective moments of heroism in our history, but that has to be the greatest. 

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Indeed. 

I did 28 years, and the 15th Sept each year is pretty special. Never forgotten. Proud to have served in the shadow of what our forefathers achieved in 1940. We had many other achievements, of course, but that was unequalled

I couldn't agree more with that statement. There have been many individual and collective moments of heroism in our history, but that has to be the greatest. 

https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org/visit/visit-the-memorial/welcome/
    👍
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Indeed. 

https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org/visit/visit-the-memorial/welcome/
    👍
    That's lovely. Think I might try and cycle there. Should be about 65-70 miles for me to get there so will feel like a bit of a "pilgrimage."

Really looking forward to that, will probably head there in spring or on a nice winters day. 
  • Options
    Kent's Battle of Britain airshow is going ahead at Headcorn 25/27th September, despite rule of six.