Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Take me home country roads

Two versions of the same song.

Listen without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

In tribute to Toots, who left us yesterday, his 1972 cover of the John Denver 1971 original 

Comments

• John Denver, Toots version just doesn’t sound right. 
  • John Denver. Take me home country roads is a perfect song that no one can truly replicate
  • John Denver version.
  • I always preferred the Greg Champion and the Music Makers version - 

Take me home Jonty Rhodes
    To the veldt of Transvaal
    Orange Free State
    Good ole Jo'Burg
    Take me home Jonty Rhodes

• John Denver. Toots version doesn't work for me.
  • The John Denver original is sort of the anthem for my local. Get the whole pub singing it when it gets late into the evening and we've all had a few too many
  • John Denver - the song just doesn't convert to reggae.
  • John Denver.

Classic song... I do like to sing it at the family singalongs but I’m rubbish mind. 

• Sponsored links:

• Toots brilliant reworking getting a beating here.
  • John Denver 
  • I don't like the Denver version, I find it suffocatingly cringey so it's got to be Toots for me. I was hoping to make a joke that it's 'by a country mile', but I don't really like that version either.
  • J Denver

Think this song (Slight rewording) suits us as a club
  • Neither. 

Olivia Newton John. 
  • I would like to hear Jonnie Jackson do it before deciding on my favourite version 
  • The man could write a song, I'll give him that.

Bizarrely I remember him best for a guest appearance in "McCloud"

• Song was really well used in the Soundtrack for this film
  • John Denver
  • Sponsored links:

• Quite like them both.
    I think Toots kind of fulfils the spirit of a cover version, as Hendrix did with 'Watchtower', by not photocopying but adapting to his style.
    As it is a nice sunny day outside I am voting for Toots.
  • Toots for me. the last minute or so did it for me. has a real uplifting feel to it. 
  • To properly triangulate you now need to find John Denver covering the Clash. GarageBand? 
  • Toots "version" is not the same song. If the lyrics are different it's a different song.

Or shall I put up Mull of Kintyre......
  • seth plum said:
    Quite like them both.
    I think Toots kind of fulfils the spirit of a cover version, as Hendrix did with 'Watchtower', by not photocopying but adapting to his style.
    As it is a nice sunny day outside I am voting for Toots.
    Really excellent comment. 

I love it when artists do this and add to the original. For pop songs done with a Reggae vibe I loved John Holt. He seemed to corner that market. 

Rebounding back to the writer. Dylan sometimes 'covers' the Hendrix version at concerts. Neil Diamond sometimes performs Red, Red Wine in the style of UB40 live. 
  • Toots for me.
  • The John Denver version is one I love to listen to and sing along with. The Toots version is one I'd love to see performed simply for its versatility and energy.

But, overall, it has to be JD for me