Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Its a grower.....

So who grows what in their garden then ?

My cherry tomatoes have been the real deal in the last couple of weeks....

Comments

• MCSMCS
    edited July 2007
    I grow Beards only. Oh and crap ginger ones at that!
  • i've just got about 10 different types of roses and a few shrubs. i would love a veg patch but not brave enough to dig up some of my lawn!
  • Figs, apples, runner beans...
  • I went over to France, Normandy to visit my bro last weekend. He moved there to start a herb/ flower groing business. He has fields of things growing.

All very nice if you like that sort of thing.

I ENJOYED THE CALVADOS MORE ...
  • edited July 2007
    basil, sage, chives, rosemary, thyme, mint.
  • edited July 2007
    Last night we had yellow beans, petit-pan squashes and little courgettes (green and yellow) from our allotment - and roasted some potatoes from there too. Followed by a crumble made from allotment goosberries - delicious, so good & juicy it didn't need custard :-)

The tomatoes are nearly 'online' - and you cannot beat lovely, warm, home grown tomatoes - and the smell when you pick them. Best of all are the runner beans which are probably a week or two away.

PS Like Heath, we have a fig tree in the garden - and looks like we are going to get plenty of figs this year (normally just one!)
  • Apples, both Bramley cookers and some eating type or other a bit like Cox's but sweeter, tomatoes, and a small herb garden containing rosemary, mint, parsley, coriander, very nice to nip into the garden to pick rosemary for one's roast Lamb.....feel like Felicity Kendall in the Good life....!
  • We have gone for it this year - potatoes, spring onions, onions, courgettes, lettuces, cabbages, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, french beans, runner beans, spinach, peppers and a multitude of herbs. Mind you my Dad is head gardener for my patch ......
  • Any tips for growing veg ?

Haven't got a clue but would love to do more. All i did with the tomatoes was plant and water every couple of days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutley bugger all, as soon as any plant hits the dirt big bad Hamish the Westie eats it !!!!!
  • We've got the same problem with big bad Bumper!!
  • edited July 2007
    If the tomatoes are in the ground then they won't need much watering - but in many areas tomato blight lurks in the soil so many people have to grow them in grow bags and they then require regular watering.

My wife is head gardener, I'm not sure what you can plant now, but in general just follow the advice on the back of the seed packets - sow in pots before planting out and watch out for snails. Runner beans are great ones to grow, ultra tasty and so long as you keep picking them then they keep coming for 6-8 weeks. Courgettes and petit-pan squashes are also great and easy to grow - pick them small and they keep coming in droves for a couple of months.

You could probably plant lettuces / rocket now for a constant supply of leaves, and I think you can get quick growing carrots to plant now, and raddishes.
  • "Any tips for growing veg ?"

My three main tips are:

Make sure that your ground is well prepared with compost and fertiliser.
    Plenty of slug pellets.
    Crop rotation.
  • Can you grow onions in a small garden?
  • WSSWSS
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Can you grow onions in a small garden?
    of course you can. i'm not giving you anymore advice though...

...thats shallot
  • edited July 2007
    Superb!
  • got a plum and cherry tree
  • wasn't there a case a few years ago where fans were chucking flower seeds or something on a football/sports pitch and they kept coming up ?
  • Goonerhater - This year i'm mostly growing:

Apples,
    Corriander
    PakChoi
    Onions
    Spring Onions
    cabbages
    Strawberries
    Mint
    Garlic
    Grapes
  • Sponsored links:

• puntastic form from me last year.
  • I'm into my herbs so i'm growing Basil,Thyme, Mint, Bay, Sage, Tarragon, Rosemary, Fennel and Chives. The girlfriends got the bug too, she's been growing loads of tomatoes. Only just moved and this is my first garden so i'm learning as i go but the slug pellet lesson has already been taken on board :-)
  • Have a bucket of water filled with a packet of salt to hand. Then most mornings you can go and get the snails and throw them in the bucket.

Strawberries in hanging baskets is a must
  • This weekend we have smashed the pathway up the middle of the garden, Rotervated the lawn leveled it off, This Saturday we will be laying Cement where we are putting the decking and Shed and trampoline, Sunday Laying the Decking, Monday Laying the lawn doing the borders and the Fencing

How fecking relaxing is that
  • Tomatoes (three varieties)Runner Beans and Strawberries for me.
  • Fungus, various types.
    Grass.
    Cat Shit
    2 x Green things in pots that snails eat
  • got some spuds, beans, peas, carrots, beetroots, mystery tomatoes (seeds must have been in the compost when I added it to the pots), apples and pears.

All I need now is a couple of chickens and some inbred locals and I could be in the country.
  • My Dandelion and weed display is unlike any other in my road.

To say i'm very proud is an understatement.
  • I have just planted a ton of herbs this weekend, but living at an altitude higher than the peak of Ben Nevis, gardening is a challenge out here - a very short, intense growing season which goes from far too cold to blazing hot in the space of a few weeks, Cannot grow any fruit otherwise the pesky bears will be here in no time..........
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]All I need now is a couple of chickens and some inbred locals and I could be in the country.

They shouldn't be too hard to find where you live!