Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crewe v Charlton | Sat 12 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Football League One - Week One

Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 12th September 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire)

Introduction
Fresh from victory in the League Cup against Swindon Town, Lee Bowyer and his depleted squad remain on the road as they travel to Cheshire for what'll be the start of yet another campaign, once again back in League One... After the disappointed at Leeds just two months ago its time to concentrate on rebuilding a squad not just for this season yet one that could also compete properly in the English second tier provided that we get there.

Our League One campaign this year begins at Crewe Alexandra - Another disappointment for fans, with Gresty Road playing host to the CAFC Derby for just the third time in the history of these two clubs!!

The Opposition
Name: Crewe Alexandra | Manager: David Artell
Ground: Gresty Road
Last Season: 2nd Place (League Two)

This season marks a first return to the third tier in four years for the side named after a Princess... Their own days of enjoying Championship Football havent been experienced since 2006 with their time since spent switching between League One and League Two - After three years of mid-table obscurity; David Artell was finally able to put together a team that could earn promotion from the fourth tier, a second place finish would see them missing out on the title purely thanks to the points per game method!!

As a personal note I'm pleased to see Crewe back on the up, they're a team that I've always admired for their approach to promoting Youth players (despite recent scandals) and have had great success in this method; Dean Ashton along with ex-Charlton player: Danny Murphy each coming through the Category Two academy, whilst former Addicks: Madgid Bougherra and Luke Varney have also had spells with the club... Its impressive when Crewe have twice been able to field a starting line up (2013 and 2018) in the last decade that consisted solely of academy graduates, they would go on to win both games!!

Its an academy that continues to produce even now: Percy Ng the Singaporian Right-Back was briefly (albeit how truthly?) linked with a move to SE7 in January, he'll be one to watch this Saturday - Luke Murphy in Midfield the other, he's returned to his former club this September, after spells at Leeds United and Bolton Wanderers

Unfortunate proof with Murphy that not all players tipped for the Premier League will reach their full potential.

Charlton Team News
Who would have thought that a young Marcus Rashford would make such an impact in his opening game, especially when you take into account that he was only drafted into the starting eleven due to injury... there have even been views that Manchester United stumbled across a star when there were other players with greater potential.

Fast forward to this season and have Charlton Athletic done similar? - Of course I'm not comparing the talent but Charlie Barker, drafted into the squad as a Scholar to avoid embargo restrictions... In his two appearances now he's certainly shown maturity beyond his 17-years, yet this Saturday will Bowyer tip towards a youth prospect who has shown promise or at the other end of the spectrum will Darren Pratley deputise at the back with new loan signing: Dylan Levitt slotting straight into the Midfield?

Elsewhere and you'd expect Alex Gilbey to start ahead of youngster: James Vennings whilst Chuks Aneke will surely have to made do with another cameo appearance after missing another large chunk of pre-season!! - Both Jonny Williams and Conor Washington will be available for selection following International Duty.

Amos
Lapslie | Oshilaja | Pratley | Purrington
Gilbey | Levitt | Forster-Caskey
Washington | Bonne | Doughty

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Barker | Vennings | Williams | Oztumer | Davison | Aneke

Prediction
So the bit I've been looking forward to writing, these two sides have only met on four occasions... In 97/98 and 99/00

Both seasons would see the Addicks earn promotion.. Play-Offs, followed by relegation, followed by a League title (sound familiar so far?) - Crewe themselves have yet to earn even a point against their South East London opponents and Charlton will travel to Gresty Road without ever having conceded at this venue... Yet such stats are meaningless, Crewe will be looking to utilise the confidence that promotion brings, for Lee Bowyer its about carrying on the bounce from Swindon and rebuilding our own much needed confidence!!

Comments

• Options
    I think we will sneak a win 1-0 to the mighty addicks, I dont hate the starting line up but would hope it can improve a bit if we want to go back up. Have a feeling Ozzy will start some place but not sure where hopefully not Doughty we need to play him while we can. 
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    With our squad not yet decimated by injuries I'm pretty confident we can get our league campaign of to a flying start.
    3.1 Charlton and the takeover goes through. 
    Happy days. 
  • Options
    What about Morgan?
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    What about Morgan?
    Yeah interesting mention, I'd honestly forgotten about him but seeing that Vennings got the nod ahead of him against Swindon I wont be surprised if it happens again

Equally wont be surprised if Morgan gets on the bench ahead of him
  • Options
    edited September 2020

0-2 Bonne 17", Morgan 38"
  • Options
    Pretty decent team considering only 2 signings in the first 11. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Storming start to the season’s campaign for the free-scoring Addicks....
  • Options
    Hopefully a good start. Looking forward to the game. That line up with who we have on the bench should be able to get the 3 points. Here's hoping. COYRs!
  • Options
    I reckon Morgan is ahead of Vennings all being equal.
    I agree, and for me he would be but Bowyer doesn’t seem to like Morgan too much (especially the defensive aspects of his game). 
  • Options
    Tricky one to call. We should have enough quality to beat them, but anything can happen on the first day of the season.

They'll undoubtedly sit quite a few men behind the ball so it will be interesting to see if we can break them down. This team just played a full 46+ season being the underdog in every game, so it will be interesting to see if they can transition to being favourites.

Amos

Lapslie | Oshilaja | Pratley | Purrington

Forster-Caskey 

Gilbey | Williams

Oztumer | Bonne | Doughty

Crewe 0-2 Charlton
    Oztumer & Bonne 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I agree, and for me he would be but Bowyer doesn’t seem to like Morgan too much (especially the defensive aspects of his game). 
    I don't know about Lord Bowyer not liking Morgan but he's certainly tried to teach the youngster about the importance of the team role i.e. tracking back.

The defensive aspect was certainly more important last year in Division Two when we were more likely to be on the back foot but will Lord Bowyer be quite so strict with Albie in Division Three when we should really be attacking a bit more?

At the very least I'd like to see Albie on the bench, possibly coming on for the last half-hour. His range of passing, now that we're shorn of the majestic BeckenSarr, is just what we need to open Third Tier defences.

CAFC 0 CAFC 3
  • Options
    The opening few games of a season are always dangerous playing newly promoted sides.  
    I'll settle for a draw but these are games we need to win if we are to have a successful season.
  • Options
    Amos

Barker, Pratley, Oshilaja

Lapslie, Gilbey, JFC, Doughty

Oztumer

Washington, Bonne.  
  • Options
    Despite having a threadbare squad, we can still out out a decent 11 and a few options off the bench.

I'd play Morgan personally, his range of passing should make him an automatic choice, but Bow doesn't reckon he works hard enough, so expect the Utd kid to get in ahead of him!

I'd go with @Dazzler21 prediction above, although I'd like to give Barker the chance at centre half.

Reckon we'll win this one quite comfortably actually. 1-3 CAFC, Bonne, Washington, Gilbey

• Options
    I do enjoy these previews, good to be back.

Amos
    Lapslie, Oshilaja, Pratley, Purrington 
    Morgan, Gilbey, Foster-Caskey, Doughty
    Aneke, Bonne

Think he won’t start the internationals, and as the defence is still ropey I think he’ll have a midfield that can stick a foot in hence why no Oztumer.

0-1 Gilbey
  • Options
    Crewe really struggle to score goals as do we. I'm going for a 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crewe really struggle to score goals as do we. I'm going for a 0-0
    Last season yes for sure. This season in league one we will get plenty I think

1-2 or 1-3 never in doubt
  • Options
    If Williams cant get a start in league one after a full pre season, then something is wrong in the world. I know he has been on international duty, but I'd play him on the basis that he is at another level to a vast majority of players in this division. 

Am I underestimating how much the physios will be saying he needs rest?
  • Options
    I'd start Oz or Williams instead of Morgan. When one tires the other can replace him.
  • Options
    One of my top five away trips who would have thought that about Crewe.

Football returns thank goodness for that ,Bowyer can begin to pull the strings again with the limited amount of first team players he has at hand.

Feel for once this is going to start well this first game 2-0 for Charlton and a happy return home for Bowyer and the players that evening.

Stay safe guys we are going to need every one of you in the coming months.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton, Bonne with a brace
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    But he would still have Morgan ahead of Vennings at this point. It isn't one of those close calls. Vennings is a promising youngster I may add.
  • Options
    CAFC 2 CAFC 3
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    But he would still have Morgan ahead of Vennings at this point. It isn't one of those close calls. Vennings is a promising youngster I may add.
    I think I remember Jackson saying Vennings is the next one to watch from the academy, that was a couple of years ago.  
  • Options
    I'd go with Oshilaja at right back (great at getting forward & can put in a decent cross) and then Charlie  Barker in central defence.

CAFC to come away with the points. But which one ??