Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Championship or League One

edited September 2020 in General Charlton
If we consider our current situation, from finance, to embargo, to ownership, to the thin playing squad we possess, which league would you have preferred for us to start in this season? Looking at it on a 1-3 season plan.

My heart says Championship, but I have a feeling we would have been in for a long and painful season if we stayed up to compete again. So, L1 it is for me, knowing most games are not going to be as entertaining. 

Comments

• Options
    Yeah Championship 100%
  • Options
    Championship. Likely would have been a tough season but we could have done as much as we could in September (assuming the takeover completes) and then added more in January. We could have bought players that we felt could potentially save us in the Championship, but would definitely make us strong in L1 if a relegation was inevitable. Add to that the fact our wage cap would be higher we could have brought in some much better players. Plus League One is the worst.
  • Options
    Championship.

League 1 is, for the most part, an awful league imo
  • Options
    Championship without question. League 1 is dreadful. 
  • Options
    Difficult one... I agree with @cafcfan1990 in one respect as we wouldnt have the salary cap meaning we'd have a great chance to sign up Matthews (reckon that one will still happen) and Sarr - With the amount of work still to do though it feels like we would have been cannon fodder from the very beginning, whereas this season I feel that we can get the first three games out the way (with some good results, hopefully) and then be in a stronger position squad wise when we start facing the likes of Sunderland and Wigan in October.

Think I'm going to have to admit that League One is the better League for us to be in this season.

Championship and I reckon we'd have ultimately been relegated meaning that we'd be wasting two seasons 

If we can get off to a good start and be up there then who knows what'll happen

If we can get promoted then we may get relegated from the Championship straight away again (meaning it didnt really matter), on another note with someone like Sandgaard in charge there is nothing saying we cant do something similar to Norwich or Tranmere where we can ride on the confidence wave that you get from promotion and push on at the top of the Championship next year
  • Options
    On balance, League One as I prefer to see us winning games, rather than trying to stave off relegation. Having seen my first game in 1959, I have seen too many seasons where we have been in the bottom six.
  • Options
    Can’t think of any rationale for saying League One. If we are in the Championship then we are in the Championship, if we are in L1 then we might be in the Championship at some unspecified time in the future (remember it’s taken 3 years to get out of L1 on each of our last attempts).  
  • Options
    It was not posed as a trick question. Our existence in the Championship went down to the last game of the season. We could have started this season in either league realistically, so considering our current on/off-field plight, I wanted to see what other fans thought would be best for us as a club this season.
  • Options
    Although I really do dislike it, Its the gift of the curse we are in league 1 to look at rebuilding.

We need momentum, a real shot in the arm to get the whole club moving forward to have a feel good outlook. 

In league 1 we can afford to blood youngsters if we need to, even if they are raw and they still won't be totally overrun. 

We may have been able to keep Lockyer, Matthews and Sarr, but for me Matthews was the only one who was a consistent championship performer. That's not good enough for us to maintain a championship position.

We have Gallen who has worked miracles and delivered, with some backing (not even alot) I am looking forward to see what could happen.

This is a big year for some players to perform, step up, find consistency, stay injury free etc. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Championship

I think it will be very weak this season, and even if we were terrible for the first 3 months, there is still the January window to strengthen as I doubt we would have been stranded when you look at the likes of Wycombe and Rotherham who are likely to be found out, especially with the horrible 2 games a week schedule throughout most of the season
  • Options
    How sexy are the rabid magpies?
  • Options
    Although i dont mind being in league one, but if we stayed up we wouldn't have a limit with transfers and if TS came in it would be huge, also we could have kept some players who have already left (not LT obv) . Championship is where we want to be where possible and we have still been robbed by those who are above the law. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Good question.

Some are featherless and others have no lower beak. All in all about a 2/10.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Good question.

Some are featherless and others have no lower beak. All in all about a 2/10.
    Sounds good enough. I'll take the magpies but Knightly has to watch.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If we consider our current situation, from finance, to embargo, to ownership, to the thin playing squad we possess, which league would you have preferred for us to start in this season? Looking at it on a 1-3 season plan.

My heart says Championship, but I have a feeling we would have been in for a long and painful season if we stayed up to compete again. So, L1 it is for me, knowing most games are not going to be as entertaining. 
    Championship.
    The answer does not need thinking about.
  • Options
    Championship
  • Options
    Championship easy. 

Lockyer would still be our player and a lot easy to sign up Matthews, maybe Sarr. 

With the promoted teams, Luton (assuming Barnsley had gone down) and Sheff Wed starting with a deduction, we would have had a real shot at staying up. 
    This
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems like a daft question to me. You'd always have to try the higher league and give it a go.

Last week I played in a tennis tournament against a ranking higher than any I'd previously beaten and won. Yesterday in the quarter final I beat someone ranked even higher. 

In sport you just never know. If you give up or believe it's not possible then you are bound to lose.
  • Options
    Division Two all day long.

We were seconds from staying up last year despite the paper-thin squad and the general shit-storm of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

What could Lord Bowyer, Jacko, Gallen et al have achieved last year with stability and decent backing?

Now it looks like we're going to have that stability and backing - finally - but it's come too late and we've dropped back a division. There's no certainty of getting out of Division Three at the first attempt so we may be a year or two behind where we could have been ... and when we're back at that stage the conditions may not be as favourable as they are now.
  • Options

In the current circumstances most definitely League 1

• Options
    Without crowds and attending games, does it really matter?

Football just doesn’t feel real to me in this current status. 
  • Options
    True. The views show a pretty even split so far. 
  • Options
    Is the sky blue, is the sea wet, is the Pope ...........😉
  • Options
    I have a lot of good memories as a Charlton fan, but I think on balance more of them were in L1, than the Championship.

And those that were in the Championship were either last minute wins or equalisers, whereas League One was actually winning stuff. 

I'd probably take League One to be honest.

As long as we are a yo-yo club like we are, I would pick L1, once we have owners who want to back us to the top, Championship.

But I will always prefer the seasons we are fighting to go up, than stay up. 
  • Options
    I’m not 100% championship by any means.

The momentum a promotion from league one gives has proved for other clubs to be priceless.  If we can get our house in order post takeover and nick promotion this season we’d probably be quite fancied to finish top 12.

However, I guess there will be times this season you look at the fixtures and we’ve a Rochdale on the same weekend where palace play an arsenal and millwall play the likes of Nottingham Forest and think, what are we doing here!
  • Options
    Seems like a daft question to me. You'd always have to try the higher league and give it a go.

Last week I played in a tennis tournament against a ranking higher than any I'd previously beaten and won. Yesterday in the quarter final I beat someone ranked even higher. 

In sport you just never know. If you give up or believe it's not possible then you are bound to lose.
    Andy Murray next?
  • Options
    Without crowds and attending games, does it really matter?

Football just doesn’t feel real to me in this current status. 
     I do understand what you are saying to a degree. For the future it does matter a lot.