Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Incredible Goal By Ray Crawford (1969)

This video literally popped up on YouTube a few hours ago, put up by some Millwall fan, of a match between us and them at The Den in 1969. This goal is ridiculous! Any of you old enough to actually remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbO3Z4APt4

Comments

• Options
    I missed this game as I was playing rugby down in Bristol .. Ray Crawford was always a terrific striker. a consistent goal scorer. Remember his and Ted Phillips' goals won the title for Ipswich (under Alf Ramsey) in 1961/62. Also, dare I say. good memories of the late Keith Weller, oh that he was an Addick, we would have been promoted back in the mid 1960s  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I was there standing at the front as Keith Peacock flashed past me and had a great view of that goal............. one of the few times we ever came away from there with anything (1-1 draw) .......... remember a few years later taking the lead with a Cyril Davies goal and coming away beaten 2-1 ........... and so the years of pain against them began. Loved that all red kit though, my first one with 8 on the back for Ray Treacy
  • Options
    I was at the game with my dad, stood on the halfway line, great goal.
  • Options
    Also won two caps for England, remember him well, and was at that game. 
  • Options
    Wasn't this goal used as part of the intro to The Big Match at one point?
  • Options
    Bloody ‘ell, I remember that, great strike by Crawford.

Shame we only got him towards the end of his career.

Can’t remember the score, what are the odds that we won that game?
  • Options
    Wasn't this goal used as part of the intro to The Big Match at one point?
    Yes it was
  • Options
    I remember at the time calling it a Crawford cracker.
  • Options
    I was there on the half way line.
  • Options
    Great goal. It got voted quite a few rounds in during the OS Covid worldly game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure that goal is included in the This is the Valley sequence shown on the big screen before every home game.
    Great goal, sadly I wasn't at that game
  • Options
    This video literally popped up on YouTube a few hours ago, put up by some Millwall fan, of a match between us and them at The Den in 1969. This goal is ridiculous! Any of you old enough to actually remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbO3Z4APt4

Our commercial department was crap back then. No shirt sponsorship ... disgraceful 😲
  • Options
    Still haven't got over it. 
  • Options
    That's almost identical to the Berger goal against us, except from half as far out. Much heavier ball though, so maybe almost as impressive!
  • Options
    Was a finalist or semifinalist in the greatest goals competition run by the club over the summer.
  • Options
    I started going in March 1969, I wasn't at that game but remember it on the big match, televised Charlton ganes in those days were few and far between.

Crawford wasn't there for long, I dimly remember reading in a book his wife annoyed Eddie Firmani, could have been over a pay rise (or lack of), and he moved on. 

One of my early heroes, with Tees and Treacy.
  • Options
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Crawford_(footballer)

He had an exceptional goal scoring record at every club he played for! 
  • Options
    Same here.
  • Options
    Same here.

I was there with your dad too.
  • Options
    I was there, I remember it well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Crawford_(footballer)

He had an exceptional goal scoring record at every club he played for! 
    Wow, 143 in 197 in his first spell at Ipswich, that is amazing.
  • Options
    I seem to remember ray scoring with an overhead kick too at the valley in front of the covered end ???? 
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    I seem to remember ray scoring with an overhead kick too at the valley in front of the covered end ???? 

Might have been v Sheffield United, rings a distant bell. Bit of an epic game IIRC, it was the first time I'd ever taken notice of an oppposition player, Tony Currie, who was a class act.
  • Options
    Ray Crawford refused to travel to Bisham Abbey for a specially arranged training camp because his wife was ill. Eddie Firmani sacked him. In the space of a month Eddie Firmani had got rid of his two main goal scorers, Matt Tees to Luton and Ray Crawford. He was left with rookie Paul Gilchrist and Ray Treacy and after losing five nil to Leicester at the Valley later in the season at Easter, Firmani was sacked. 
  • Options
    I was there with my Dad on the left hand side of the Cold Blow Lane end. They seemed a trifle upset when we celebrated and threatened us with everything if we scored again. Happy days.
  • Options
    Crawford then went on to score a hat trick for Colchester United as they knocked the mighty Leeds United out of the FA Cup.
    He was a brilliant player and even his relatively short spell with us was excellent.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Crawford then went on to score a hat trick for Colchester United as they knocked the mighty Leeds United out of the FA Cup.
    He was a brilliant player and even his relatively short spell with us was excellent.
    Ray scored two of the 3 against Leeds, and Simmons scored the third Seth
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Ray scored two of the 3 against Leeds, and Simmons scored the third Seth
    I stand corrected. Thanks.
  • Options
    While we are in nostalgia, a friend and I were discussing a game that he said he no one he knows remembers, but I do - just none of the details!

It was an evening game when I think Mick Rose had come out of goal to close down a player, the ball was played wide and crossed in and headed towards goal, and a stranded Rose(?) pulled down the cross bar and saved the goal. Anyone remember the game, the goalie and the team we were playing? What year was it?
  • Options
    Was on the half way line and it got a bit lively when Crawford's goal went in. On the Big Match, the next day, I remember Brian Moore saying 'It's a sea of fists below me as rival fans get stuck into one another'.