Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Soccer Saturday shakeup

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:
    Ahh for crying out loud all this is bollocks while BAME people are at higher risk of dying from Covid; the current government is actively trying to implement a hostile environment and has major questions to answer over Windrush; and when black people are told to peacefully protest re BLM, they do so, and a dance crew gets thousands of complaints to Ofcom.

I could not give a fuck about replacing the hosts on a show I do not watch, assuming this is in the name of "diversity" (which has never been stated). They're literally not the issue.
    If you don't care you seem remarkably wound up. Maybe have a nice cup of tea and a hobnob.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Ahh for crying out loud all this is bollocks while BAME people are at higher risk of dying from Covid; the current government is actively trying to implement a hostile environment and has major questions to answer over Windrush; and when black people are told to peacefully protest re BLM, they do so, and a dance crew gets thousands of complaints to Ofcom.

I could not give a fuck about replacing the hosts on a show I do not watch, assuming this is in the name of "diversity" (which has never been stated). They're literally not the issue.
    If you don't care you seem remarkably wound up. Maybe have a nice cup of tea and a hobnob.
    Oh of course I care about what happens to POC in this country. Of course I do. I live it every waking moment of my life.

My point is that ultimately, I don't care that TV shows are trying to "diversify", because it is a deflection from the real issues that I've alluded to above. It is pointless pandering. It winds me up, sure, but that doesn't mean I care. There's a slight difference between the two things and you might argue that it's semantics, but I presume you get what I mean.

I want to see real change effected.
    I understand completely that there are huge structural issues that need addressing but I was just making the point that this thread was not really the place to discuss it. I find the attempts of the BBC, Sky etc pretty pathetic when it comes to addressing serious issues.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Oh of course I care about what happens to POC in this country. Of course I do. I live it every waking moment of my life.

My point is that ultimately, I don't care that TV shows are trying to "diversify", because it is a deflection from the real issues that I've alluded to above. It is pointless pandering. It winds me up, sure, but that doesn't mean I care. There's a slight difference between the two things and you might argue that it's semantics, but I presume you get what I mean.

I want to see real change effected.
    I understand completely that there are huge structural issues that need addressing but I was just making the point that this thread was not really the place to discuss it. I find the attempts of the BBC, Sky etc pretty pathetic when it comes to addressing serious issues.
    Fair enough. In which case, by the same token, it is not the place to lament the supposed corporate pandering to diversity either?
  • Could we be reading far too much into this? Could Sky have felt a refresh was necessary because a huge chunk of their audience simply can't relate to these ex pros? I'm 44 this year, I barely remember Charlie and Tommo playing, but remember Le Tiss fondly. Those under 35 won't have seen Charlie and Tommo play and, unless fans of clubs they played for, possibly won't have a clue who they even are. Similar will be true of Le Tiss for the under 30s.

Once the majority of the audience see them as just some middle aged blokes who tell you the score then they become completely interchangable. The show has a need to keep relevant and that means having studio guests who are more known to the key demographics they are trying to hit. It can always be handled better, and whenever a middle-aged white guy is replaced then the gammons will scream it's for PC reasons.

Then, having decided to have a refresh, it makes perfect sense to add a bit of diversity as an added bonus for the refresh process.
  • Could we be reading far too much into this? Could Sky have felt a refresh was necessary because a huge chunk of their audience simply can't relate to these ex pros? I'm 44 this year, I barely remember Charlie and Tommo playing, but remember Le Tiss fondly. Those under 35 won't have seen Charlie and Tommo play and, unless fans of clubs they played for, possibly won't have a clue who they even are. Similar will be true of Le Tiss for the under 30s.

Once the majority of the audience see them as just some middle aged blokes who tell you the score then they become completely interchangable. The show has a need to keep relevant and that means having studio guests who are more known to the key demographics they are trying to hit. It can always be handled better, and whenever a middle-aged white guy is replaced then the gammons will scream it's for PC reasons.

Then, having decided to have a refresh, it makes perfect sense to add a bit of diversity as an added bonus for the refresh process.
    If they get in better pundits fair enough but if it's just a box ticking exercise it is a bit meaningless. I don't think any of the main channels have given diversity any serious thought and I think it will be addressed in a half arsed manner that will potentially make things worse.

If they get in better pundits fair enough but if it's just a box ticking exercise it is a bit meaningless. I don't think any of the main channels have given diversity any serious thought and I think it will be addressed in a half arsed manner that will potentially make things worse.

But the refresh isn't necessarily about getting better pundits per se, it's about getting pundits who a larger percentage of the target audience will have seen play/are familiar with. It's a sad fact that the majority of fans under the age of 30 probably don't give much merit to the opinions of guys who's careers ended 30 years ago (20 in the case of Le Tiss)

Plus there's the fact that players lifestyles, training regimes, etc. have all massively changed in our lifetimes. Would the departing group actually have that much insight into what happens away from the on-field action these days? Le Tiss might as I think he still has fairly close ties at Southampton, but Charlie and Thommo probably haven't been to a training ground (for anything other than a press event) for 20+ years.
  • edited September 2020
    Has there been any broadcast EFL matches yet to see who's replaced Minto?
  • Talal said:
    I haven't watched QoS for a long time but found Dawson unbearable. Regarding ALOTO I think it's become a lot easier to watch since Corden stopped doing it. 
    Matt Dawson is similar to Lyle Taylor in his modesty. Another person who wished he was cake so he could eat himself
    Couldn’t stand either Dawson or Tuffers, a complete pair of cocks, who really believe they are a proper couple of “Blokes” . 
    Dawson has done 16 years. Tuffnell 12 and Barker 24 , go on count 'em .. enuf is well past enuif
    I reckon I watched Q of S for about 40 years and stopped when Dawson started on there.
    Don’t blame you, Dawson is unbearable. 
    very good scrum half though .. ((:>)
    Absolutely. 
  • When Minto was doing it I thought Jobi McEnuff and Liam Rosenior were very good summarisers but could either be the presenter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Caroline Barker did Friday night's game.
  • Croydon said:
    David Prutton.
  • The biggest problem I feel for anyone who is interested in this change is the lack of clarity from Sky on the changes.  All I can find on the internet that Sky said is 

We are changing some parts of our football coverage.

"Matt, Charlie and Phil have done a great job for us over the years, and they will leave us with our sincere thanks and very best wishes

It been suggested this is down to cost cutting, diversity or relevance to current football.  As Sky takes a lot of money from customers for its service, why don’t they just be honest for the reasons behind their decision with fee paying customers.

• Can't see it being cost cutting. I'm sure I heard/read, they get £500 each Saturday, so not huge money. Presumably they get additional money for any ads, etc. they appear in, but they could easily cut them from the ads without cutting them from the show.
  • Can't see it being cost cutting. I'm sure I heard/read, they get £500 each Saturday, so not huge money. Presumably they get additional money for any ads, etc. they appear in, but they could easily cut them from the ads without cutting them from the show.
    Surely they get paid more than that?

The show alone runs for about 5 hours, and that’s not taking into account the pre-production and preparation they have to be a part of.
  • Croydon said:
    Caroline Barker did Friday night's game.
    Hope she's improved from her days on Quest.
  • cafctom said:
    Can't see it being cost cutting. I'm sure I heard/read, they get £500 each Saturday, so not huge money. Presumably they get additional money for any ads, etc. they appear in, but they could easily cut them from the ads without cutting them from the show.

The show alone runs for about 5 hours, and that’s not taking into account the pre-production and preparation they have to be a part of.
    They may well get paid more (i've honestly no idea) but that's still 2k a month for only 4 days work. 'Work' which consists of watching a football match.

Can't imagine they do that much prep either, Merson always looks like he got told which game he's watching at 2.55.
  • cafctom said:
    Can't see it being cost cutting. I'm sure I heard/read, they get £500 each Saturday, so not huge money. Presumably they get additional money for any ads, etc. they appear in, but they could easily cut them from the ads without cutting them from the show.

They may well get paid more (i've honestly no idea) but that's still 2k a month for only 4 days work. 'Work' which consists of watching a football match.

Can't imagine they do that much prep either, Merson always looks like he got told which game he's watching at 2.55.
    I've always been amazed at how ill prepared some of the pundits are - some of them seem to know next to nothing. Not sure what they are being paid for? They are especially bad on lower league football.
  • Croydon said:
    Where’s Minto gone?
    has he moved to their Premier League stuff
    he comes across pretty decent and thats without my obvious bias 
  • edited September 2020
    Croydon said:
    Where’s Minto gone?
    has he moved to their Premier League stuff
    he comes across pretty decent and thats without my obvious bias 
    Doing some bits for some Racing Post
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely he should be on Sky or BT not on whatever that guff is 
  • The biggest problem I feel for anyone who is interested in this change is the lack of clarity from Sky on the changes.  All I can find on the internet that Sky said is 

We are changing some parts of our football coverage.

"Matt, Charlie and Phil have done a great job for us over the years, and they will leave us with our sincere thanks and very best wishes

It been suggested this is down to cost cutting, diversity or relevance to current football.  As Sky takes a lot of money from customers for its service, why don’t they just be honest for the reasons behind their decision with fee paying customers.

Probably not very professional to say "we let them go because they are shite".
  • It’s not funny. But I keep giggling at Curbs anyway. It’s like a member of my family doing a crap stand up routine. You laugh as you’re fond of them. 
  • That one is a bit shit, but i bet they have a right laugh filming it.
  • edited December 2020
    Watching soccer saturday for the first time since the "shakeup"

They just cut to Charlton for the first time, 2 chaps called Mark Mcadam and Tom Allen.

I have no idea what the fuck I was watching but it didn't really tell me much about the game, more that one of them was excited about a pie.

HAVING SAID THAT, the rest of it seems ok. 
  • We just scored, I really can't believe how cringe this is. Is anyone watching? I'm in a room of 3 people under 30 and all of them have their heads in their hands. 
  • Proper annoying.
  • Tom Allen the comedian knows nothing about football. He was on soccer am last week and has only been to see arsenal in a box with Rob Beckett once. He’s from bromley and plugging his book. He’s absolutely hilarious and I’m sad I’m watching the match and not able to see his updates.