Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving House - BR7

edited August 2020 in Not Sports Related
This website has helped me with a lot of tough decisions in my life and I have another, I know how far and wide we are spread and thought some people might have some local knowledge. 

I am looking to move out a bit further and I'm looking at BR7, not far from Edgebury Primary school, just off Edgebury, and hoping to make an offer in the next week (after a second viewing).

Viewed a house, lovely, everything looked great, looked at the crime rates for the area and my heart sunk, quite a lot of anti social behaviour and even criminal damage/arson in the very close vicinity recently. 

I cycled out there at the weekend and asked a chap what it was like living in the area and he said it was nice and he'd lived there 25 years etc, so that has (slightly) reassured me. 

Does anyone know the area well? I'd be moving from SE3 so know very little about the vicinity and any advice would be hugely appreciated and could stop me making a costly mistake!

Added a map photo for posterity.

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    This website has helped me with a lot of tough decisions in my life and I have another, I know how far and wide we are spread and thought some people might have some local knowledge. 

I am looking to move out a bit further and I'm looking at BR7, not far from Edgebury Primary school, just off Edgebury, and hoping to make an offer in the next week (after a second viewing).

Viewed a house, lovely, everything looked great, looked at the crime rates for the area and my heart sunk, quite a lot of anti social behaviour and even criminal damage/arson in the very close vicinity recently. 

I cycled out there at the weekend and asked a chap what it was like living in the area and he said it was nice and he'd lived there 25 years etc, so that has (slightly) reassured me. 

Does anyone know the area well? I'd be moving from SE3 so know very little about the vicinity and any advice would be hugely appreciated and could stop me making a costly mistake!

Can't offer any insight on the new area, but might be worth others understanding what part of SE3 you might be drawing comparisons with - it wasn't that long ago that SE3 covered Blackheath Village and The Ferrier Estate...
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Can't offer any insight on the new area, but might be worth others understanding what part of SE3 you might be drawing comparisons with - it wasn't that long ago that SE3 covered Blackheath Village and The Ferrier Estate...
    I live more or less on Westcombe Park train station.

Lots of anti social behaviour here, but I think round here no one bothers dialing it in. Main thing is I am in a flat that is really secure so zero burglary issues. 
  • Options
    Hmm. Bloke got killed there a couple of weeks back. Pub fight, stabbings and he got mown down by a van.

The other side of the A20 in that picture is much better.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Hmm. Bloke got killed there a couple of weeks back. Pub fight, stabbings and he got mown down by a van.

Which pub?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

Which pub?
    I think it was the Gordon Arms. 

Kemnal Road has some nice houses including an ex nuclear bunker. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

4 bed flat chislehurst high has come on the market today
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Huskaris said:

Thanks. Not trying to be picky but I can't handle living in a flat again. The noise from neighbours drives me insane and I feel like it's time to move into a house to start a family etc. 
  • Options
    Lived over the other side, in the Mottingham Estate, for 12 years and can tell you that it's pretty rough there and over in the Coldharbour estate too. Some of that is covered by the BR7 postcode, and that may skew the statistics a lot.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    clb74 said:
    Huskaris said:

Thanks. Not trying to be picky but I can't handle living in a flat again. The noise from neighbours drives me insane and I feel like it's time to move into a house to start a family etc. 
    You looking at a terrace house?

• Options
    It's detached. It's within the Beechwood rise area. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lived over the other side, in the Mottingham Estate, for 12 years and can tell you that it's pretty rough there and over in the Coldharbour estate too. Some of that is covered by the BR7 postcode, and that may skew the statistics a lot.
    The statistics actually let you look at roads etc, so you can see what happened on Floyd Road, as an example. 
  • Options
    I've lived in Blackheath & Bromley, so I don't know, but I've never heard of any trouble round there and was shocked about that murder a couple of weeks ago, because you really wouldn't expect it in Chislehurst anymore than you would in Humber Road.
    Plus the Gordon Arms is some way further up at the top of Green Lane.
  • Options
    I've lived in Blackheath & Bromley, so I don't know, but I've never heard of any trouble round there and was shocked about that murder a couple of weeks ago, because you really wouldn't expect it in Chislehurst anymore than you would in Humber Road.
    Plus the Gordon Arms is some way further up at the top of Green Lane.
    I have lived off Humber road for 20 years, when I lived on Coleraine a young woman jumped out of a window escaping being tortured and died a few doors from me. These things do happen. 

Murders (unless regular) don't tend to bother me as I don't think I'm the kind of person that would get murdered fortunately.

I'm more concerned about robberies, burglaries, anti social behaviour etc. 
  • Options
    What’s your budget Huskaris?
  • Options
    £700-£725k 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I grew up on the Coldharbour estate (mum is still there), it's se9 and not rough at all. There was always loads more trouble in Eltham than Coldharbour.
    Anyway Chislehurst is lovely, nearly moved there last year but couldn't quite afford it.

About 15 years ago I lived above the fiveways, I didn't get a moment's peace.
    The drone of the A20 was tiring.....
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Difficult place to live, being within touching distance of the Sunshine State of Sidcup yet not quite being part of the promised land :-)

Afraid i can’t help personally, don’t really know that side of the A20 well I’m afraid. 
  • Options
    Wilderness Road in Chislehurst is nice. Out of most of our budgets though!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of my sister-in-laws lives in Slades Drive with her husband and my nephew.  Wife grew up on Domonic Drive (Mum-in-law still owns her house there) and she's got two friends that live on Brownspring. 

Its not a bad area at all.  There's been a little bit of anti-social stuff going on down by the shops on Edhehill over the years, mainly kids bored on the estate but nothing out of the ordinary that is seen on any estate these days but thats a fair way from where you'll be.

Happy to put any questions to my wife and sister-in-law who will know the area better than most.

• Options
    Nah mate I’m good for now.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    £700-£725k 
    Not being funny but with that sort of budget I'd have thought you could do better. I know property prices are mental these days but almost 3/4 million should get you something better. 

How many beds do you want/need  ?  Does it have to be detached ?  Do you need to be near any particular school catchment area or train station ?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    JohnBoyUK said:
    One of my sister-in-laws lives in Slades Drive with her husband and my nephew.  Wife grew up on Domonic Drive (Mum-in-law still owns her house there) and she's got two friends that live on Brownspring. 

Its not a bad area at all.  There's been a little bit of anti-social stuff going on down by the shops on Edhehill over the years, mainly kids bored on the estate but nothing out of the ordinary that is seen on any estate these days but thats a fair way from where you'll be.

Happy to put any questions to my wife and sister-in-law who will know the area better than most.

That's really helpful, thanks. That's the exact area I'd be in so relieved to hear it sounds ok. 

I looked up the crime stats where I am now, and within half a mile the crimes are literally half of what they are there, which is reassuring. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    £700-£725k 
    Not being funny but with that sort of budget I'd have thought you could do better. I know property prices are mental these days but almost 3/4 million should get you something better. 

How many beds do you want/need  ?  Does it have to be detached ?  Do you need to be near any particular school catchment area or train station ?
    Golf.
    Do we all not dream of a detached house?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    £700-£725k 

3+ bedrooms (this one has 4)
    Doesn't have to be detached. 
    Not too bothered about school catchments for now, Edgehill is there and is labelled "good" by Ofsted and I'll be more worried about schools etc for secondary which would be a long time off. No kids at the moment just practicing. 

Train stations is the main drawback there. It's a mile to New Eltham, but there are buses by the school that would take us there. 

I can't get across how beautiful the house is. I haven't seen anything that comes close in terms of how nice it is etc for that price range, either in that area or the other places we were looking (Charlton etc).
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The commute is a bugger though