Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lost my job and looking for a helping hand

I know many of us have suffered over the last months losing our jobs.  It has been very hard and at the moment I am finding things very difficult.  I am trying to set up a new business to get myself out of this mess and looking to my fellow lifers for any direction/support/contacts etc.  I am setting up to run a UK division of a UKAS accredited certification body offering certification to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, ISO 22301 and ISO 27001.  My business is all live apart from my website is being developed still https://qecuk.com/ but I am yet to get my first customer.  I know timing is not great with summer holidays and some annoying pandemic but with all the calls and emails I have made in the last 2 weeks since I started I had hoped for a bite.  It would be useful if any fellow lifers need any certification quotes that I can provide for them or any of their customers.  Even if you can link in with me on LinkedIn and push my story when I manage to start producing some messaging it would help.  My LinkedIn profile  https://www.linkedin.com/in/gavin-warran-8b4a06a/ still says I am looking for work as I have some challenges with my previous employer that will cause issues if I change my role before September.  Any support would be really appreciated and sorry if I have typos or grammatical mistakes (I normally do)!  thanks Gav

Comments

• Options
    You might be well served to explain what accredited certification actually is to the layman, both on here and on the website.
    My first thought is that it is a document printing business!
  • Options
    Good luck.  Not sure of your age, but if I was 20 years younger, that's what I would be doing in this climate, starting my own business.

I was recently made redundant and worked my notice to last week. I luckily found a role to start on September 1st.  I wish I wasn't so old and knackered, as i would love to give it a good go again, I was self employed for 30 years in IT.
  • Options
    It's a great idea ReadingAddick.  I'm sure it will take off and be a roaring success.   Have you started advertising anywhere just yet? 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I can't offer you much other than wishing you the best of luck mate, and hope that things work out the way you want it to.
  • Options
    It's a great idea ReadingAddick.  I'm sure it will take off and be a roaring success.   Have you started advertising anywhere just yet? 
    Hi Brendan, no not yet but I will be through Twitter and Facebook as well.  I just need to wait until September 1st to advertise as do not want to have any conflict issues with previous employer!!
  • Options
    I can't offer you much other than wishing you the best of luck mate, and hope that things work out the way you want it to.
    thanks
  • Options
    Good luck.  Not sure of your age, but if I was 20 years younger, that's what I would be doing in this climate, starting my own business.

I was recently made redundant and worked my notice to last week. I luckily found a role to start on September 1st.  I wish I wasn't so old and knackered, as i would love to give it a good go again, I was self employed for 30 years in IT.
    Still got about 20 years of work left in me!
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone that has linked with me - means a lot
  • Options
    Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear that you lost your job.  Welcome to the wonderful world of self-employment.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
     Henry Irving said:
    Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear that you lost your job.  Welcome to the wonderful world of self-employment.

I'm looking forward to not having some idiot telling me what to do to make them more money!
  • Options
    When you got some sales information perhaps you could forward to me, this is something we discuss as a company often, but as yet we haven’t done anything about it. It’s something my health and safety manager in particularly keeps chirping on about. Think you got a great advantage being new in that you should be very competitive, but more importantly keen and willing to help. When your ready send a personal message and I will forward you my details. Not promising anything as this is not my responsibility but I might be able to make certain it gets to the right person within my organisation.
  • Options
     Henry Irving said:
    Hi Gavin,

I'm looking forward to not having some idiot telling me what to do to make them more money!
    You're not married then?  😉
    I was expecting that 
  • Options
    When you got some sales information perhaps you could forward to me, this is something we discuss as a company often, but as yet we haven’t done anything about it. It’s something my health and safety manager in particularly keeps chirping on about. Think you got a great advantage being new in that you should be very competitive, but more importantly keen and willing to help. When your ready send a personal message and I will forward you my details. Not promising anything as this is not my responsibility but I might be able to make certain it gets to the right person within my organisation.
    Perfect - I will be in touch in the next couple of weeks - thank you
  • Options
    Can I assume you live in Reading ?
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Can I assume you live in Reading ?
    I took it, he liked books.
  • Options
    I know someone in Sidcup looking for help in this area. So asking “ I assume you live in Reading?” doesn’t seem unreasonable. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    I know someone in Sidcup looking for help in this area. So asking “ I assume you live in Reading?” doesn’t seem unreasonable. 
    Hi , live in Wokingham near Reading, but will have associates who work for me that are more local.  Is he looking for help to put systems in or have the assessed ready for certification.  My email is gavin@qecuk.com if you are able to message me here.  Thanks so much 
  • Options
    Reading addick
    Have you thought about offering a service to help SME,s to gain CHAS and Construction line accrediation ? 
    Not far off what you doing now but could open options for work and attract smaller firms. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:
    Hi , live in Wokingham near Reading, but will have associates who work for me that are more local.  Is he looking for help to put systems in or have the assessed ready for certification.  My email is gavin@qecuk.com if you are able to message me here.  Thanks so much 
    Emailed you this morning Gavin. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
     Henry Irving said:
    Hi Gavin,

Employee; "That's a lovely car boss"
    Employer; "Thanks - If you keep working hard and carry on delivering the results you have been, there's a good chance that one day I'll have an even nicer one".
  • Options
    That's a hot lead for you @Reading Addick , and great subtle positioning on price @CharltonKerry
     ;) 

• Options
    That's a hot lead for you @Reading Addick , and great subtle positioning on price @CharltonKerry
     ;) 

Thought someone would have called me a tight git a long while ago 😀. 

In my companies defence, and in a all seriousness it goes both ways as they will not have a track record so we cannot see any work they have previously undertaken, and we will be taking a risk that they can provide what we require. But I’m a believer that we all got to start somewhere, therefore trust is required from both parties. We started our company with a £1500 order and now we turn over anywhere up £15 million a year, and yet we still remember if we weren’t given that first order (and the associated trust that we could do it) then my company wouldn’t be here.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    masicat said:
    Emailed you this morning Gavin. 
    Thanks Maiscat,  I’ll have a look and come back to you ASAP. Really appreciate all the responses 
  • Options
     Henry Irving said:
    Hi Gavin,

Employee; "That's a lovely car boss"
    Employer; "Thanks - If you keep working hard and carry on delivering the results you have been, there's a good chance that one day I'll have an even nicer one".
    That is so true!!
  • Options
    Gasman said:
    Reading addick
    Have you thought about offering a service to help SME,s to gain CHAS and Construction line accrediation ? 
    Not far off what you doing now but could open options for work and attract smaller firms. 
    Thanks, I have considered that but I am going to initially focus on where I have good assessor that want to work with me and I have good experience within iso industry 
  • Options
    Good luck with the new venture!! Have sent you a connect request in LI so I can like/share your stuff once you're up and running after Sept 1st