Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL proposal for leagues 1 & 2 salary cap. Approved by clubs.

edited August 2020 in General Charlton
The PFA are not happy. This could get messy if it's voted for. Can see it being deferred to allow proper consultation. Has to happen asap, surely, in the interest of sustainability.

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2020/8/6/pfa-response-to-proposed-efl-salary-cap-regulations

Comments

• Options
    "Today, we have invited the EFL to a period of expedited arbitration in August, before the next season starts and the transfer window closes, in order to reach a shared agreement on the way forward."

Good luck with that, the Football League doesn't normally work that quickly. On recent experience the PFA will be lucky to sit down with the FL in March 2021.
  • Options
    The PFA are not happy. This could get messy if it's voted for. Can see it being deferred to allow proper consultation. Has to happen asap, surely, in the interest of sustainability.

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2020/8/6/pfa-response-to-proposed-efl-salary-cap-regulations
    I’d like something in place in the interest of sustainability as you say, but it’ll make it very difficult for clubs getting promoted to the Championship to compete.
  • Options

"The current EFL proposals would see a £2.5million salary cap placed upon League One clubs.

In addition to player wages, that total must include player bonuses, signing-on fees, agent fees, National Insurance contributions and relocation costs."

Now i completely get why a salary cap is being proposed, but for me they're going about it in completely the wrong way. I think a salary cap should be based on a % of a clubs turnover, not as the same set figure for every club.

Why should bigger clubs like us, Ipswich, Portsmouth and especially Sunderland be restricted to spending the same as Accrington and Crewe? It's crazy that Sunderland who average 30k crowds would have to spend the same as clubs with 3k crowds.

The Championship salary cap proposal is 18m. That's a huge gap from 2.5m and will only serve to make the gulf between the championship and league one even greater. Basically we're heading towards a Premier League 2.

I quite like the idea same cap for the whole league (although given that I’ve thought about it for about eight seconds before writing this there could well be some nuance I haven’t considered) but £2.5M seems way too low.
  • Options
    A percentage of turnover - which they already have -  is surely the way to go. A figure as low as £2.5 million would make it impossible for a club to assemble and retain a squad capable of competing in the Championship. There are enough promoted League 1 teams coming straight down already without imposing this. It feels like the drawbridge is being well and truly pulled up.

In Leagues One and Two, a ‘salary cost management protocol’ limits wage spending, to 60% of turnover in League One and 50% in League Two, but owners are allowed to put in unlimited extra money, which can all be spent on wages. This was what triggered Bury’s downfall, when the fortunes of the previous owner’s business declined, opening the door for the odious Steve Dale to turn up with his £1. I guess that this is what the current initiative is designed to tackle and there will probably be some sort of compromise in the end.

Ambitious owners putting excessive money into the squad is not a problem that we’ve had since the short lived reign of Mark Hulyer. There’s certainly no danger of the current shower falling foul of whatever’s introduced.
  • Options

"The current EFL proposals would see a £2.5million salary cap placed upon League One clubs.

In addition to player wages, that total must include player bonuses, signing-on fees, agent fees, National Insurance contributions and relocation costs."

Now i completely get why a salary cap is being proposed, but for me they're going about it in completely the wrong way. I think a salary cap should be based on a % of a clubs turnover, not as the same set figure for every club.

Why should bigger clubs like us, Ipswich, Portsmouth and especially Sunderland be restricted to spending the same as Accrington and Crewe? It's crazy that Sunderland who average 30k crowds would have to spend the same as clubs with 3k crowds.

The Championship salary cap proposal is 18m. That's a huge gap from 2.5m and will only serve to make the gulf between the championship and league one even greater. Basically we're heading towards a Premier League 2.

And you’d get the same problems that you have with clubs who are relegated from the PL. Salaries that are unaffordable. Will L1 clubs who are relegated get a parachute payment? I doubt it. Salary cap needs to be a percentage of income
  • Options
    £2.5m a year with a squad of 25 is just under £2k a week on average. Before bonuses, signing on fees etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't our "small and underfunded" squad of 18/19s wage bill about £8 million, which was significantly down on the 2 previous seasons?

Won't this cause more problems in the game as Sunderland will probably make a profile, possibly enough for them to invest in a fancy accountant to get round it while Wimbledon and Accrington would probably make a loss of they spent the full amount?

The solution, in my opinion, is playing costs must be lower than income.  No ifs, no buts.  You submit a forecast in September, revise it in February, have until the 1st of July to submit a final report. Failer is automatic 12 points deduction, in that season.  Found cheating instant relegation.

If you want to spend money on an academy, building stands, employing extra support and medical staff, buy ticketing systems etc that's your look out and you can do so. 
  • Options
    It should be implemented at the very top. It will only really work if the top leagues in Europe are capped.  
  • Options
    edited August 2020

In all honesty, it could do Sunderland a favour. They can spend to the maximum of any cap and maybe a lot of highly paid league one players are not the players you need. Absolutely should apply to the Championship too.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    It should be implemented at the very top. It will only really work if the top leagues in Europe are capped.  
    Yes and no, why should Manchester United be penalised for making boat loads of money? The fact that their owner does trouser a lot of it is neither here no there (in this situation).

Financial doping is the problem at the top. If you think it is a problem.  
  • Options
    Ross said:
    £2.5m a year with a squad of 25 is just under £2k a week on average. Before bonuses, signing on fees etc.
    It should be mentioned that players aged under 21 apparently won't count towards the cap. So Morgan, Doughty, Davison.Dempsey etc wouldn't be included.

It's still crazy though.They should just look to make FFP work better, lower the wage spend % to turnover to a strict 40-50% or something.

Telling a club like Sunderland who have over 22k season ticket holders which must bring in around 6-7m (and thats before match day revenue and merchandise sales etc), that they can only spend 2.5m is just stupid.
  • Options
    Salary caps in sport seem to be the only way to keep it competitive. You don't need it in businesses but in sport it does make sense to me.

I understand that bigger clubs feel they should be able to sign the better players, but maybe the players will prefer playing at the Stadium of Light than Spotland anyway, even if they are offered the same money.

At the moment it's hard to justify the wages players get (and the fees paid to agents) and a cap will make our clubs a bit more sustainable and hopefully make them less attractive to asset-strippers and charlatans.

Also, the clubs will not be penalised for making lots of money - in fact they will in theory have more available to reduce ticket prices and improve facilities for fans / invest in community projects / spend on the chairman's new yacht.
  • Options

Pointless. If you have the money you can sail straight through these proposals.
    They must include benefits in kind for a start. If not, you could pay every expense a player incurs, such as mortgage, school fees, cars etc. As long as a club payed those direct it would be the player who pays the tax. Club does not have to pay NIC on it so win win.
    Relocation. Club buys house and let’s the player live there. Player let’s out his house so after paying tax on benefit is quids in.
    Do a Sheffield Wednesday. Create a sham company and pay him through that. As long as you don’t back date his start date to before the company existed you should be fine.
    Have a third party pay him via sponsorship deals.

These are off the top of my head, I am sure that those paid to think of ways around it will have a field day.
  • Options
    One of the best examples from ‘The Price of Football’ Podcast is Derby employing Tom Ince’s mum as an academy scout. Perhaps Mrs Southall was working in a similar capacity for us
  • Options

Agree but believe this needs to be driven by FIFA and implemented world wide 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yes and no, why should Manchester United be penalised for making boat loads of money? The fact that their owner does trouser a lot of it is neither here no there (in this situation).

Financial doping is the problem at the top. If you think it is a problem.  
    It’s not fair that the Bournemouth, Brighton and Charltons of this world are not allowed to compete with the elite because we don’t have enough fans. What’s the point of following the sport knowing that you can’t win the main prize. FFP is is so wrong and I can’t believe that people actually like it. Teams should be allowed to spend what they want. If they f**k up they get relegated. 
  • Options
    Glad they've jumped on bonuses and other fees to players

i.e. Its not just on the Basic Salary which would have been easy to get around
  • Options
    if, big IF, as was suggested earlier U-21 players are not included and you had 20 senior first team players you wouldn't be able to offer much more than about £2,000/£2,200 per week max. 
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how successful the PFA challenge is.

It does seem like this has been rushed through, I hadn't really heard anything about it actually happening until seeing this thread this morning.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how successful the PFA challenge is.

It does seem like this has been rushed through, I hadn't really heard anything about it actually happening until seeing this thread this morning.
    Feels like a reaction to the pandemic. I get it from that point to be honest but definitely not thought through.
  • Options
    The PL will never implement it and there are enough big sides in the championship to force the cap up there as well.

The rumoured 18m championship cap in comparison to the 2.5m league 1 cap is ridiculous.

You'll get loads of players who would rather sit on the bench in the championship for 10k p/w rather than drop to L1 for game time and 1.5k p/w.

I agree with the principle of it but the level gives no head room for the bigger sides. Seems like every club will be spending 2.5m.
  • Options
    What happens if you have already exceeded the salary cap for the new season