Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Dont see nothing wrong with him signing. Got the pedigree and there certainly worse options out there. 

Despite all this shit going on, its positive at least we getting deals renewed and bring in players! 
  • Options
    I'd rather Clarke Harris but considering transfer embargo etc glad to see somebody potentially come through the door 
  • Options
    Weird, because the article says he wants to leave Hearts because they dropped out of the Scottish Premiership.

So League One's ok then....?
    Yes, 2nd division football up there is 4th division level down here.
  • Options
    Weird, because the article says he wants to leave Hearts because they dropped out of the Scottish Premiership.

Not really weird. Think he’s a fairly local lad and league one is probably similar to bottom of the Scottish prem.
    I'd get a game in the SPL.
  • Options

Not really weird. Think he’s a fairly local lad and league one is probably similar to bottom of the Scottish prem.
    I'd get a game in the SPL.
    Are very short players sought after in the SPL then ?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I don't like to be underwhelmed by signings - particularly in the current climate, as literally any player would strengthen our squad depth - but on the face of it, Washington does not seem technically proficient enough. Then again, I'm judging against the football I saw this season, which is a much better standard than League One.

He is one of the most one-footed footballers I have seen, judging by this video, with the exception of the penultimate goal (I think it's the only time he used his left foot!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxI1QxMqdt4

He has an instinct for movement in the box, and doesn't mind running at defenders, but a lack of game time in the last couple of seasons is a bit of a concern. I don't know how fit he is at the moment and I don't know how interested he is in the game. But in Bowyer and Gallen I trust, if this move is on the cards. I think the rumour has legs: we're a pretty specific club for the Daily Record to link him with given they're a Scottish paper.
    I don't give a toss if he has his left foot chopped off if he scored 15 goals with his right. 
    He's 28 and only scored 48 lifetime league goals. On that basis, we might have to wait three seasons for him to reach your target
    3 in 15 in the Scottish Prem last season. Last time Lyle Taylor played in the Scottish Prem he scored...

3 in 15
    Washington did score 12-13 a season when he was at Peterboro' so he might well be capable of doing that and possibly even more. We are not just gambling on that though. We are gambling on yet another player with a proven injury record.

As I have said previously, sadly that is the pond we are fishing in - we are in no position to be choosy 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I don't like to be underwhelmed by signings - particularly in the current climate, as literally any player would strengthen our squad depth - but on the face of it, Washington does not seem technically proficient enough. Then again, I'm judging against the football I saw this season, which is a much better standard than League One.

He is one of the most one-footed footballers I have seen, judging by this video, with the exception of the penultimate goal (I think it's the only time he used his left foot!):

He has an instinct for movement in the box, and doesn't mind running at defenders, but a lack of game time in the last couple of seasons is a bit of a concern. I don't know how fit he is at the moment and I don't know how interested he is in the game. But in Bowyer and Gallen I trust, if this move is on the cards. I think the rumour has legs: we're a pretty specific club for the Daily Record to link him with given they're a Scottish paper.
    I don't give a toss if he has his left foot chopped off if he scored 15 goals with his right. 
    He's 28 and only scored 48 lifetime league goals. On that basis, we might have to wait three seasons for him to reach your target
    3 in 15 in the Scottish Prem last season. Last time Lyle Taylor played in the Scottish Prem he scored...

3 in 15
    Washington did score 12-13 a season when he was at Peterboro' so he might well be capable of doing that and possibly even more. We are not just gambling on that though. We are gambling on yet another player with a proven injury record.

As I have said previously, sadly that is the pond we are fishing in - we are in no position to be choosy 
    Pond ? Think u mean puddle 
  • Options
    If true, would seem a Gallen type of move. Which does point to the management team staying. 
  • Options
    Could be a master stroke alongside Hemed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    If true, would seem a Gallen type of move. Which does point to the management team staying. 
    Would Gallen have been at QPR with him?
  • Options
    Just to clarify something - as much as he is a "high earner" with his current club - he would be on a par with our players and budget I suspect.

£2.5 - 3k a week or so would be my stab in the dark
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    In 2017 Hearts average salary was about £1800 a week. I would think that's probably as much as £2250 -£2750
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    a non prolific 'striker' .. 243 game in EFL and Scotland, 48 goals((:<)
    That's 0.197 Goals per game, better than Yann when he joined

Yann before CAFC P185 GS 35 0.189 GPG

Looks like Washington has actually played 277, scoring 58 (0.209 GPG)
    where do you get those figures ? .. from when he was playing down the park ? .. or including the games for NI and St Ives ?, even then the figures don't add up .. anyway, if he signs for us he'll get my full support as an Addick, but excuse me if I am not totally awestruck that we have signed or rather could be signing such a phenomenon  :|
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    In 2017 Hearts average salary was about £1800 a week. I would think that's probably as much as £2250 -£2750
    That's a really low number when compared to English football, bearing in mind that Hearts are probably in the top 5 Scottish clubs
  • Options
    He’s a bit mediocre, but will work hard and score few in L1. Slightly disappointing though. 
  • Options
    Not saying you have to be wowed by his signing, but the fact is he has a better GPG in the games that are recorded that he played in across all levels he's played competitively (goes as far as conference).

Even just your initial stat was 0.197 GPG that's just shy of 1 in 5. If Hemed had scored 1 in 5 last season, we would not have been relegated. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    That's a really low number when compared to English football, bearing in mind that Hearts are probably in the top 5 Scottish clubs
    except they have just been relegated
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not saying you have to be wowed by his signing, but the fact is he has a better GPG in the games that are recorded that he played in across all levels he's played competitively (goes as far as conference).

Even just your initial stat was 0.197 GPG that's just shy of 1 in 5. If Hemed had scored 1 in 5 last season, we would not have been relegated. 
    from the video clips he looks like a bustler and a worker and finds space in the box as well as having a decent right foot albeit, he found himself shooting at some right dodgy keepers .. as I typed, he'll be welcome if/when he arrives and we will see.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    except they have just been relegated
    the salaries were from the end of 2017 when they finished 5th. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

3 in 15

2014/2015 - 44 appearances in all competitions
    2015/2016 - 46
    2016/2017 - 43
    2017/2018 - 34
    2018/2019 - 22 (Did he just fail to get into a promotion winning Sheffield Utd's team?)
    2019/2020 - 21 (Out three months with a hamstring injury and season ended early because of Covid)

So I think you are wrong. I don't see anything in the above to suggest he has a proven injury record, he just happened to have an injury last season. Having one injury doesn't make you injury prone. 

I actually agree about the goals, my original comment was a joke about not using his left foot. That being said, I still think he's a decent signing at this level. 
  • Options
    Decent signing, no harm bringing in a striker with previous league one experience and will score 10+ goals. I think Josh Davidson could also make an impact next season, along with Bonne I would say that would set us up quite nicely 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Outside the Old Firm there is absolutely no money in Scottish football whatsoever. Probably more lucrative to be a journeyman League One player than a star at any of the other 10 teams in the SPL. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Scoham said:
    It's hilarious when people post these vids, it's a dead cert they won't score for us!

I seem to remember Johnny Williams and Otzumer vids, neither have scored!
  • Options
    To be fair none of the Jonny Williams vids showed scores as he didn't score any before us either. 
  • Options
    To be fair none of the Jonny Williams vids showed scores as he didn't score any before us either. 
    he's scored 3 in 160 league games, 2 of those were 5 years ago for Ipswich .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Williams
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    If you ever want to get a measure of the salaries in Scottish football outside of the Old Firm, always refer to the fact that Salford signed Adam Rooney from Aberdeen (who had finished runners up to Celtic) and paid him 4k a week.