Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL 2019-20 Prediction League FINAL TABLE - Congratulations to @Buglehorn

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thx for organising Tma 1st time ive ever won anything like this although wasnt aware i was soooo close to being 2nd. Cheers
  • Options
    Buglehorn said:
    Thx for organising Tma 1st time ive ever won anything like this although wasnt aware i was soooo close to being 2nd. Cheers
    @RaplhMilne nearly stole it from you. Pressure is even greater next season when you have to defend your title.
  • Options
    I paid for a disastrous start to the season, to many divisions down.  Couldn't manage to stay in the Premiership, every time I got their I got relegated again. I blame CAFC having a negative affect on my players.  

@thai malaysia addick
    Thanks for organising the competition, I'm sure it takes a lot of your time up. 
  • Options
    Thank you TMA, always adds a bit of interest to the games following this. Appreciate all your hard work and effort. 
  • Options
    Joint 4th in the prediction league and 5th in Beat the Bookie.
    Damn.
    Had a good season and then bottled it at the end.

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to running this.
  • Options
    Thank you TMA, finished in the same position as Dover. Enjoyed taking part every week even if results didn't always go my way. 
  • Options
    Joint 4th in the prediction league and 5th in Beat the Bookie.
    Damn.
    Had a good season and then bottled it at the end.

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to running this.
    Great performance.
    What's your strategy?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    15th in the Prem'. Oh for those days again.

Well played everyone and big ole thanks to @thai malaysia addick for what must be a huge amount of effort over an 18 month long season. 
    Fortunately, I can program a computer, so I have written software that takes all the predictions and works it all out for me. The only thing that takes time is people who can't spell, use abbreviations or use any of the synonyms that I have not thought of. The biggest problems are things like:

Middlesborough
    Bournmouth - not that you would get that wrong, @Bournemouth Addick
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

For the curious, Charlton have the following:
    Charlton Athletic, Charlton, Reds, Addicks, CAFC
    Palace have several:
    Crystal Palace, Crystal P, Palace, Palarse, C Palace
    MU have the most with:
    Manchester United, Manchester U, Man United, Man Utd, Manure, Man U, ManU, United

I wondered how you did it all and I purposefully copy and paste the fixtures you put up (most of the time ) and delete down to the 3 I predict .
    Will make sure I do it all the time going forward as I’m sure everyone else could to make it easier for tma .

thanks tma for sorting 
  • Options

Well played everyone and big ole thanks to @thai malaysia addick for what must be a huge amount of effort over an 18 month long season. 
    Fortunately, I can program a computer, so I have written software that takes all the predictions and works it all out for me. The only thing that takes time is people who can't spell, use abbreviations or use any of the synonyms that I have not thought of. The biggest problems are things like:

Middlesborough
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

Palace have several:
    MU have the most with:
    Manchester United, Manchester U, Man United, Man Utd, Manure, Man U, ManU, United

I wondered how you did it all and I purposefully copy and paste the fixtures you put up (most of the time ) and delete down to the 3 I predict .
    Will make sure I do it all the time going forward as I’m sure everyone else could to make it easier for tma .

thanks tma for sorting 
    You’re the perfect predictor for me. To be fair, I only have to edit about three or four predictions on average each week. The program also does a lot of checking (so don’t try making four predictions!). I was delighted this last week when the program, for the first time, picked up someone who made two entirely different sets of predictions.
  • Options

Middlesborough
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

Palace have several:
    MU have the most with:

***bangs head against wall after realising I should’ve paid more attention in computer studies rather than closing the door on the computer suite and switching the monitor to watch golf or snooker***

Thanks for running this. Even though you have a programme, I bet it still takes quite a bit of time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally forgot I was in this and did not predict a single score after re-start of season. Bit gutted as I was doing ok.
  • Options
    sholland said:
    Totally forgot I was in this and did not predict a single score after re-start of season. Bit gutted as I was doing ok.
    I thought ESI had taken over your team
  • Options

Middlesborough
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

Palace have several:
    MU have the most with:

thanks tma for sorting 
    You’re the perfect predictor for me. To be fair, I only have to edit about three or four predictions on average each week. The program also does a lot of checking (so don’t try making four predictions!). I was delighted this last week when the program, for the first time, picked up someone who made two entirely different sets of predictions.
    I'm a bit of a wannabe nerd and was wondering how it works.

Do you copy and paste the predictions to excel and analyse the data using VBA, or does your program read directly from the site? If it's the later, what language do you use?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Middlesborough
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

Palace have several:
    MU have the most with:

thanks tma for sorting 

Do you copy and paste the predictions to excel and analyse the data using VBA, or does your program read directly from the site? If it's the later, what language do you use?
    There are 7 programs using VBA.
    1) After selecting the teams from dropdowns in Excel, Program 1 drives out HTML so that I can paste it into the CL website
    2) I paste the predictions (text only) into another worksheet. Program 2 parses each line to find the competitor and the game predicted and the scores. Any rubbish is discarded.
    3) Program 3 checks that the entries make sense. It checks that teams and scores have been found, checks that the game exists etc.
    4) Program 4 checks that the entries are 3 per person, no one predicts twice etc.
    5) After entering the results into the fixture worksheet, Program 5 calculates the scores for each competitor
    6) Program 6 updates the master scores spreadsheet, working out average scores for those failing to enter etc. It also updates the League table
    7) Program 7 produces the HTML to paste on to the website with the results and updated league tables.
    The Prediction Cup has another set of programs that sort of scores, winners, qualifiers for the next round, replays etc. Same sort of principle.

My consultancy rates are very reasonable. You're not going to undercut me and offer @AFKABartram a cheaper deal, are you? :)
  • Options

Middlesborough
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

Palace have several:
    MU have the most with:

thanks tma for sorting 

1) After selecting the teams from dropdowns in Excel, Program 1 drives out HTML so that I can paste it into the CL website
    2) I paste the predictions (text only) into another worksheet. Program 2 parses each line to find the competitor and the game predicted and the scores. Any rubbish is discarded.
    3) Program 3 checks that the entries make sense. It checks that teams and scores have been found, checks that the game exists etc.
    4) Program 4 checks that the entries are 3 per person, no one predicts twice etc.
    5) After entering the results into the fixture worksheet, Program 5 calculates the scores for each competitor
    6) Program 6 updates the master scores spreadsheet, working out average scores for those failing to enter etc. It also updates the League table
    7) Program 7 produces the HTML to paste on to the website with the results and updated league tables.
    The Prediction Cup has another set of programs that sort of scores, winners, qualifiers for the next round, replays etc. Same sort of principle.

My consultancy rates are very reasonable. You're not going to undercut me and offer @AFKABartram a cheaper deal, are you? :)
    Nah mate, your job's safe....... for now  :)

Thanks for the info, I love using VBA and have been writing small programs for fun since the days when basic still had line numbers.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Middlesborough
    MCity
    Scum
    N'castle
    Bowyer's Army
    etc. etc.

Palace have several:
    MU have the most with:

thanks tma for sorting 

that sounds very complex, but i am sure as you say the programme does the most of it but its just knowing all the programmes and putting in the right place. Gold star for you fairplay
  • Options
    edited July 2020