Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

‘Youth players’ who could step up?

Comments

• Options
    Williams didn't look like the player we'd seen at the start of the season in those last few games but I can't see him signing up to a full year in League One, regardless of the option.

We'll need Oztumer to up his game and become our creative playmaker. He can do it but not consistently and not for full games, it seems. Maybe the slightly lower pace of League One might help.

One big problem is that the same number of games will be fitted into a month less than usual. Bowyer admitted that was a problem this time round and I think the stats demonstrate this with us scoring relatively few points in midweek games. That could be a worry with what is likely to be a very thin squad and we'll probably have to see some youngsters step up.

I hope they scrap the useless cup for third and fourth division teams next season, whatever its called these days.  Could do with dumping the League Cup as well but I can't see that happening.
    I'm sure we can safely say we won't have to worry about cup runs causing any fixture congestion.
  • Options
    Any player capable of playing at League level will be sold. 
  • Options
    ------------Maynard-Brewer-------------
    Oshilaja--Vega---------Pearce----Doughty
    --------------Pratley-------------------
    ---------Lapslie------Morgan-------------
    -------------Oztumer------------------
    -------Aneke---------Bonne--------------

Subs: Harness; Purrington; Mingi; Oztumer; Henry* (not sure on age/contract status); Wiredu; Davison

Others: Aouachria; Clayden; Dempsey; Osaghae (GK); Powell; Quitirna Jr; Vennings; Ness?

New professionals: Afrane-Kesey; Aidoo; Barton; French; Harvey

Bonne and Doughty will be gone from this lot and if we get any sort of offer for them it would not surprise me if Morgan and Aneke too... Plus what are the chances of Henry being offered anything or hanging around whilst other clubs will no doubt be interested.  Don't get your hopes up I feel.
  • Options

Subs: Harness; Purrington; Mingi; Oztumer; Henry* (not sure on age/contract status); Wiredu; Davison

Others: Aouachria; Clayden; Dempsey; Osaghae (GK); Powell; Quitirna Jr; Vennings; Ness?

Bonne and Doughty will be gone from this lot and if we get any sort of offer for them it would not surprise me if Morgan and Aneke too... Plus what are the chances of Henry being offered anything or hanging around whilst other clubs will no doubt be interested.  Don't get your hopes up I feel.
    Who is going to pay for Aneke? 
  • Options
    That millwall fella who loiters on here his son , Sid James fan club 
    whoever that may be 

• Options

Who is going to pay for Aneke? 
    Queens Park Rangers?

They were after him last season weren't they? 
  • Options
    Williams didn't look like the player we'd seen at the start of the season in those last few games but I can't see him signing up to a full year in League One, regardless of the option.

We'll need Oztumer to up his game and become our creative playmaker. He can do it but not consistently and not for full games, it seems. Maybe the slightly lower pace of League One might help.

One big problem is that the same number of games will be fitted into a month less than usual. Bowyer admitted that was a problem this time round and I think the stats demonstrate this with us scoring relatively few points in midweek games. That could be a worry with what is likely to be a very thin squad and we'll probably have to see some youngsters step up.

I hope they scrap the useless cup for third and fourth division teams next season, whatever its called these days.  Could do with dumping the League Cup as well but I can't see that happening.
    I'm sure we can safely say we won't have to worry about cup runs causing any fixture congestion.

Normally that would warrant a LOL but the EFL Trophy involves 3 games before we are knocked out, three games I bet no team in the EFL wants to play.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Could do with a centre back coming through 
    They signed a kid from my son’s school, Lucas Ness. Strapping lad. Son says he’s good, but I guess he would. 
    He tends to go missing all the time though.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Could do with a centre back coming through 
    They signed a kid from my son’s school, Lucas Ness. Strapping lad. Son says he’s good, but I guess he would. 
    He tends to go missing all the time though.
    Is he Luke Ness for short?

Must have been done before!
  • Options

Normally that would warrant a LOL but the EFL Trophy involves 3 games before we are knocked out, three games I bet no team in the EFL wants to play.
    I wonder if that'll be scrapped. 

With the season 5 weeks shorter than usual and it being a competition no club really wants, it makes sense to get rid of it for a year.

Did they even finish last seasons competition?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't follow the juniors/academy players so know next to nothing about them until they make the breakthrough .. however ANY member of the juniors who has been retained, trained and nurtured should be able to make a good fist of a chance in the first team .. not every game, but as and when required, otherwise why keep them on and pay them wages ?
  • Options

I wonder if that'll be scrapped. 

With the season 5 weeks shorter than usual and it being a competition no club really wants, it makes sense to get rid of it for a year.

Did they even finish last seasons competition?
    Suggested that in another thread, scrap it and use the dates for league games or even scrap the League Cup if not for one season maybe forever?

Assume the EFL may have to give back the sponsorship money which they will be loathe to do.?
  • Options
    Dempsey and Vennings deals extended 
  • Options
    Rumours that Bonne could be on his way, Davison would become our only out and out striker in that case.
  • Options

Charlton wasn’t the only team this season and won’t be the only team next year with this schedule. We are on a level playing field with all other teams and need to deal with it better.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Charlton wasn’t the only team this season and won’t be the only team next year with this schedule. We are on a level playing field with all other teams and need to deal with it better.

Exactly. No team will want this useless competition next season so it needs to be scrapped. And, as stated above, we tend to play fewer cup games than most for some unknown reason so will actually be affected less!
  • Options

It is not the same for all teams.

Most teams in League One haven't played since March.

And they know who their owners are.
  • Options
    Rich Cawley has confirmed that James Vennings and Ben Dempsey will be staying with the club

Apparently the contracts for both were due to expire
  • Options
    Rich Cawley has confirmed that James Vennings and Ben Dempsey will be staying with the club

Apparently the contracts for both were due to expire
    The club announced this at the start of July, I guess it’s now been officially done?

https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/89365/charlton-confirm-list-of-released-and-retained-players/p1
  • Options
    Neither Phillips or Doughty appear keen to extend their contracts what with the club in their current state

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-be-tested-over-desire-to-hold-on-to-dillon-phillips-and-alfie-doughty/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m confident we’ll unearth at least a couple of gems, the way we always do.

Blows my mind to think we had a player like Alfie Doughty on our books and he only really got a game in the first team due to a massive injury list
    Spot on. It happens loads at clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc but it also happens with us. If it weren't for injuries Doughty would still be an U23. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'm making the assumption that all out of contract players leave, and youth/development players will have to step up - because that is what we know as the current situation - and that we are down (which we are, with no sanctions in play as it stands).

With the rumours of Phillips wanting to leave as we have been relegated, and Lockyer being able to leave for free, I will factor them out as well. But Doughty has been offered a new deal, and for the time being, he remains in my squad. So we're looking a little something like this:

I don't know if any of the players I've mentioned are right-backs, so at the moment I've put Deji out there. We are clearly thin at the back... and, let's be honest, pretty much all over the squad. I have also probably missed at least one or two players out. But this I think is what our squad will probably look like at the start of the 2020/2021 season, if there is no off-field intervention from any involved parties.

And I don't think we'd be straight for the drop. I know that AMB is quite highly-rated; the remaining senior players are all capable of doing a job in League One; and the ethos of our youth setup is conducive to philosophically fluent and promising football. Whether the likes of Vega (or whoever goes to CB et al) are good enough for the men's game is another question. I think there's an amount of unreadiness in too many players for us to survive any more than three or four injuries. But this is not a truly hopeless situation, as many might think. It's far from ideal, though.
    I reckon Bonne is gone
  • Options
    Alan Nixon is back again with his comedy routine

Now claiming that Luton are keen on Alfie Doughty
  • Options

They probably are because they think they can get him for £500K
  • Options

They probably are because they think they can get him for £500K
    Be the Charlton way to reject a £2m bid in January and then let him go for £500k
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53571920

Wigan sell another of their youngsters to pay the wages
  • Options

Really is something wrong with football that PL clubs with the financial muscle of Spurs and Brighton are picking up the jewels of Wigans youth for nominal fees.  Taking the piss.  Capitalism at its very worst.
  • Options

Really is something wrong with football that PL clubs with the financial muscle of Spurs and Brighton are picking up the jewels of Wigans youth for nominal fees.  Taking the piss.  Capitalism at its very worst.
    EPPP was set up to get the best young players into PL academies as cheaply as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan#Changes_from_previous_academy_system

There's a controversy section on the above link, some felt EFL clubs were being blackmailed by the PL by threatening to remove the youth funding they provide.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

EPPP was set up to get the best young players into PL academies as cheaply as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan#Changes_from_previous_academy_system

There's a controversy section on the above link, some felt EFL clubs were being blackmailed by the PL by threatening to remove the youth funding they provide.
    That was the choice that EFL clubs were given though wasnt it

Either they let Premier League teams sign their kids for all but nothing or they'd have the money that filters down from broadcasting (?) cut

Was a dirty attempt at blackmail and the clubs naturally took the easy option - Hence why clubs like Brentford decided to close their academies and take the route they've now gone down
  • Options

Academy graduate Aaron Henry has signed his first professional contract with the club, committing his future to the Addicks until at least 2023

The 17-year-old midfielder became the third youngest ever player to make his senior debut for the club when he played in the FA Cup tie with West Bromwich Albion at The Valley in January.

He made his first start in the EFL Trophy against AFC Wimbledon in September and has now made three first-team appearances in total.

"I'm buzzing to have signed the deal," said Henry.

"The club's finally been taking over so it's good to get it done. I've been here since I was U10s, so it's a dream come true.

"I'm really happy to be here. There's a great pathway to the first team - players like Alfie [Doughty], James Vennings and Albie [Morgan] are good examples of what I want to achieve and more."

Speaking of the highly-rated youngster, boss Lee Bowyer said: "Aaron has been very impressive and he's deservedly had a taste of the first team. It's very good for the club - he's a very good player and one for the future.

"That's what we do here as a club. We continuously produce players of this quality and he's one who truly deserves to be given his contract."

Meanwhile, Academy Manager Steve Avory said: "It always makes us very proud when someone comes through from the very early stages of the academy. He's been with us since that U10 age so his journey has been a long one.

"He was one we were keen to secure on a scholarship when he was U15. He's a very good technical player with a superb range of passing. He's had some great experiences with the first team and we're delighted to, once again, secure a player who has developed and progressed throughout the years and someone who has a good long-term future at this football club."

Charlton owner, Thomas Sandgaard, added: “Charlton has a fantastic academy and that was one of the key points that attracted me to the club. Charlie Barker and Aaron Henry are both very talented players with bright futures ahead of them.

"They are players that match our current strategy and I look forward to seeing them play for Charlton for years to come.”