Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Windows or whatever it is update ... don’t do it !

2»

Comments

• cafcfan said:
    cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:
    Do you normally leave your back door open when you go for dinner? If not, do the updates. 
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this, Microsoft shouldn't be forcing the updates on people and it certainly shouldn't be installing Edge or any other piece of software the owner of the machine doesn't currently have installed.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a legal case in the US about this.

I know not everybody likes Apple and its products but on this they get it right.  The OS and other software updates just sit there until you want to install them, same for the 'phones.
    Is it any different to Apple forcing their products outside of the main OS software onto systems? Not 100% sure on Macs, but I remember a time when phones use to install things like GarageBand or remember the whole thing with that U2 album?

Windows updates are easily permanently disabled if wanted, but generally wouldn't advise it.
    I think Apple learnt from that bit of hubris.  I don't think Microsoft ever learn anything.
    Edge is the replacement of Internet Explorer, it's no different to Apple / Safari.
    I am finding Edge to be quicker and better than chrome or firefox at the moment.  It loads up searches and web sites really quickly.

BTW, if you've got an old machine that windows 10 has broken, and you haven't got any expensive games/other windows-dependent software on your machine, just load up a copy of Linux Mint onto a USB stick and run your machine off that.  It will run besides 10 until you decide it's better, which it is in many respects and it is free.  You can then load it up as your primary OS if you wish.  I use the Cinnamon version on my ancient desk top, together with LibraOffice which is also free and does everything the windows suite of office tools does.

Edited to add:  here's the guide: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html   (I never bother with the complex-sounding verifyig ISO image bit but that's me being lazy)
    The new Edge browser is using Chromium which is Googles open source code for which the Chrome browser is built on, so not overly surprising. I've moved to it from Chrome, actually really like it compared to IE.
  • edited July 2020
    Microsoft absolutely should be forcing rhe updates on people. If they don't, people don't do them - and that's why their machines get compromised/hacked. Apple do the exact same thing, so do Google. 

As for not understanding, do you all fix your own cars when they go wrong? Unless you're a mechanic, or it's your hobby, no - you take them to a garage. A PC is more complicated than a car - why do you think you should be able to fix it yourself when it goes wrong? 
    What you say is true Leroy, I'd never go near most stuff on my car but it would be very expensive to replace if I broke it! 
    Now I'd never consider pimping the motherboard but changing a battery, switching over a network card, adding more RAM, swapping an old hard drive for an SSD one is really not so tricky as long as you've got a a cheap little tool kit.  Certainly not much different from replacing the wiper blades on a car frankly.
  • Microsoft absolutely should be forcing rhe updates on people. If they don't, people don't do them - and that's why their machines get compromised/hacked. Apple do the exact same thing, so do Google. 

As for not understanding, do you all fix your own cars when they go wrong? Unless you're a mechanic, or it's your hobby, no - you take them to a garage. A PC is more complicated than a car - why do you think you should be able to fix it yourself when it goes wrong? 

All fair points....I'm just being a luddite! ;-) 
  • We've got an old laptop that doesn't even have a enough space on it to do updates (I've tried deleting as much as I can and it still won't). Always use a VPN on it, is it still vulnerable? 

• As for not understanding, do you all fix your own cars when they go wrong? Unless you're a mechanic, or it's your hobby, no - you take them to a garage. A PC is more complicated than a car - why do you think you should be able to fix it yourself when it goes wrong? 
    Its a fair point. Although if you mess up your PC by trying to "fix" it yourself it's not going to come careering off the motorway at 70mph and wipe out you and your family, is it? It's also not going to cost £10k+ to replace, so a bit of perspective please young Mr Ambrose!
  • In 2018 I bought a new Apple imac which is loaded with Mojave O/S. Some time last year a software update came on the screen. So I thought
     ok, and when I looked at the updates the latest O/S version was shown ,which was Catalina. So I loaded it and when I tried to use it my
     Epson Scanner it would not load. When phoning the dealer they said they had a lot of problems with Catalina. So I had to get a person to
     reload Mojeve,also I lost some photos as well,which have now been retrieved. The cost of all the change back to Mojave and to get all the
     photos back was nearley £300. So in future I will beware of updates.
  • Derek1952 said:
    In 2018 I bought a new Apple imac which is loaded with Mojave O/S. Some time last year a software update came on the screen. So I thought
     ok, and when I looked at the updates the latest O/S version was shown ,which was Catalina. So I loaded it and when I tried to use it my
     Epson Scanner it would not load. When phoning the dealer they said they had a lot of problems with Catalina. So I had to get a person to
     reload Mojeve,also I lost some photos as well,which have now been retrieved. The cost of all the change back to Mojave and to get all the
    That's not possible Derek. Apple updates don't cause problems, only Windows updates do. 

/sarcasm 😏
  • cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:
    Do you normally leave your back door open when you go for dinner? If not, do the updates. 
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this, Microsoft shouldn't be forcing the updates on people and it certainly shouldn't be installing Edge or any other piece of software the owner of the machine doesn't currently have installed.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a legal case in the US about this.

I know not everybody likes Apple and its products but on this they get it right.  The OS and other software updates just sit there until you want to install them, same for the 'phones.
    Is it any different to Apple forcing their products outside of the main OS software onto systems? Not 100% sure on Macs, but I remember a time when phones use to install things like GarageBand or remember the whole thing with that U2 album?

Windows updates are easily permanently disabled if wanted, but generally wouldn't advise it.
    I think Apple learnt from that bit of hubris.  I don't think Microsoft ever learn anything.
    Edge is the replacement of Internet Explorer, it's no different to Apple / Safari.
    Whoever said it wasn't the replacement for IE and what has that got to do with people not wanting it on their machines?

Also, it is quite different to Safari on Apple products in that Apple doesn't have a near monopoly in the way that Microsoft did on the installed OS base.
  • Microsoft absolutely should be forcing rhe updates on people. If they don't, people don't do them - and that's why their machines get compromised/hacked. Apple do the exact same thing, so do Google. 

I don't know about Google but Apple do not force their updates on anyone.  They say 'Hey, look, here's an update.  install it when you want to'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Derek1952 said:
    In 2018 I bought a new Apple imac which is loaded with Mojave O/S. Some time last year a software update came on the screen. So I thought
    That's not possible Derek. Apple updates don't cause problems, only Windows updates do. 

/sarcasm 😏
    #LowestFormOfWit.  Apple have had numerous problems with updates.  Maybe that's why they don't force them on you.
  • My printer stopped working recently for no apparent reason.  After much internet searching, it transpired that it was due to the latest windows update.  I removed the update, which fixed the problem, but Windows keeps trying to reinstall the update.

It's a ballache
  • edited July 2020
    cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:

Whoever said it wasn't the replacement for IE and what has that got to do with people not wanting it on their machines?

Also, it is quite different to Safari on Apple products in that Apple doesn't have a near monopoly in the way that Microsoft did on the installed OS base.
    So, because Apple doesn't have a monopoly like Microsoft it makes it different? What a load of rubbish.

Does Apple OS come with a browser? Yes. It's Safari.

Does Windows come with a browser? Yes. It's Edge.

If I purchase a Mac or iPhone, is Safari forced on me if I don't want it? Yes, it is. Can I delete it? No.

If I purchase a Windows machine, is Edge forced on me if I don't want it? Yes, it is. Can I delete it? Yes.

9 times out of 10 MS force their updates on people for security reasons, if people are stupid enough to disable them (which can be done in less than 10 seconds) then so be it.
  • My printer stopped working recently for no apparent reason.  After much internet searching, it transpired that it was due to the latest windows update.  I removed the update, which fixed the problem, but Windows keeps trying to reinstall the update.

It's a ballache
    Try updating your printer drivers from the manufacturer.
  • edited July 2020
    I think the point is, updates should only be about security and that clearly is not always the case. Whether an improvement is necessary should be up to the user. If Microsoft edge gets some rave reviews from people I respect, I will download it. I do not want it forced on me.
  • I think the point is, updates should only be about security and that clearly is not always the case. Whether an improvement is necessary should be up to the user. If Microsoft edge gets some rave reviews from people I respect, I will download it. I do not want it forced on me.
    True, but an up to date browser is also essential for security...FYI - If the update is getting on your tits and your refusing to download it, you can stop it...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-blocker-toolkit
  • I think the point is, updates should only be about security and that clearly is not always the case. Whether an improvement is necessary should be up to the user. If Microsoft edge gets some rave reviews from people I respect, I will download it. I do not want it forced on me.
    It's not really forced on you though is it?  It's provided as part of a package.  If you don't like it choose something else and set that as your default browser instead.  
  • We probably hold a different view on what is forced on you. If I haven't asked for it and I get it, I don't like it.
  • I was in IT for many years before Bill Gates ruled the Earth.

Always struck me with MS from the get go, that any release of operating system software used the paying customer as a beta tester anyway,  then wack in the fixes quick sharp!

I am biased if course.
  • We probably hold a different view on what is forced on you. If I haven't asked for it and I get it, I don't like it.
    Well, maybe, each to their own.  I don't like Windows Mail and use Thunderbird instead but I can't be bothered to remove Mail from my laptop.

For simplicity even Linux distros come as part of a bundle and include a preferred browser - usually Firefox but sometimes Opera or Chromium.  My Linux distro included GIMP for example.  It's probably the best image manipulation software out there and it's free.  But it's so complex I rarely use it.  It just sits there doing no harm along with a variety of media players like VLC and Tangerine. 

I don't know what to say really but did you also dislike Skype, Music, Photos and other Windows bundled software because it was forced on you?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2020
    Talal said:
    We've got an old laptop that doesn't even have a enough space on it to do updates (I've tried deleting as much as I can and it still won't). Always use a VPN on it, is it still vulnerable? 
    Anyone got a view on this? Wondering if I need to fork out for a new one or if it's safe as long as the vpn is on. 
  • edited July 2020
    cafcfan said:
    We probably hold a different view on what is forced on you. If I haven't asked for it and I get it, I don't like it.
    Well, maybe, each to their own.  I don't like Windows Mail and use Thunderbird instead but I can't be bothered to remove Mail from my laptop.

For simplicity even Linux distros come as part of a bundle and include a preferred browser - usually Firefox but sometimes Opera or Chromium.  My Linux distro included GIMP for example.  It's probably the best image manipulation software out there and it's free.  But it's so complex I rarely use it.  It just sits there doing no harm along with a variety of media players like VLC and Tangerine. 

I don't know what to say really but did you also dislike Skype, Music, Photos and other Windows bundled software because it was forced on you?
    The difference for me is that when you buy a laptop you need certain programmes and you can change them. I accept that. But when you have a browser like MS Edge forced on you, you already have optimised your set up to your satisfaction and as people have said, the update messed up their systems.

A lot of updates are not needed. I use the example of printer drivers. Not Microsoft in this case. If you have your printer/scanner printing fine, why would you want the software to update itself? And why does the company want you to update the driver? Then you have lots of users that have their system slowed because programmes are checking for updates on startup and they may not even use the original programme anymore. 
  • While we are on the subject, anyone got a decent tablet alternative to an iPad?
     Ours is on its last legs, but to get one with a decent amount of space is pushing  500 Sovs!!

• Computer dead , cheers Microsoft , took it to work computer geek and he's just trying to get some stuff off hard drive or something like that he said .
    I had old pics on there but don't understand anything about where they might be stored .
    what a fucking liberty microsoft edge cuntfuckwank
  • edited July 2020
    When my last laptop died, after a fatal fall, and I hadn't backed up my hard drive I bought an external hard drive case kit from ebay and fitted the hard drive to it. I was then able to download to my new laptop via USB.  I copied it to a folder named old hard drive, originally enough! Obviously, this requires the damage not to be to your hard drive but it was easy enough to do. I found a you tube tutorial too. It was very cheap to buy too!

You can also use the drive as a back up drive.
  • Computer dead , cheers Microsoft , took it to work computer geek and he's just trying to get some stuff off hard drive or something like that he said .
    I had old pics on there but don't understand anything about where they might be stored .
    Everything of whatever description or type breaks eventually.  Toasters, washing machines, computers, cars, etc.  No one should ever keep precious files solely on one machine.  Everyone in this situation should buy a £50 external drive off Amazon or upload important files to the cloud or probably both.
  • cafcfan said:
    Computer dead , cheers Microsoft , took it to work computer geek and he's just trying to get some stuff off hard drive or something like that he said .
    Everything of whatever description or type breaks eventually.  Toasters, washing machines, computers, cars, etc.  No one should ever keep precious files solely on one machine.  Everyone in this situation should buy a £50 external drive off Amazon or upload important files to the cloud or probably both.
    not after applying something to said machine by order of some clown 
  • it was working perfectly before said update