Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last minute goals of 19/20...

Not counting goals that didn’t have an effect on the final result.

Bristol City (a) 98th minute -1pt
WBA (a) 94th minute +1pt
Millwall (a) 91st minute -1pt
Huddersfield (h) 92nd minute -1pt
Hull (h) 96th minute -2pt
QPR (a) 95th minute +1pt
Sheff Wed (a) 95th minute -1pt
Birmingham (a) 93rd minute -2pts
Wigan (h) 93rd minute +1pt

Overall we dropped five points in added time this season. Just one more point would have seen us safe.

Birmingham sticks in the minds of a lot of people since it was the most recent. However I would like to nominate Sheff Wed (a) as the worst of the bunch.

Wednesday were one of only two teams to pick up less points than us in 2020 (the other being Hull). They won only four games since the turn of the year. The other three wins were all away from Hillsborough.

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately there’s not really a positive spin to put on these numbers!

I was flicking through the season’s games and thought I would share what I found.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Not counting goals that didn’t have an effect on the final result.

Bristol City (a) 98th minute -1pt
    WBA (a) 94th minute +1pt
    Millwall (a) 91st minute -1pt
    Huddersfield (h) 92nd minute -1pt
    Hull (h) 96th minute -2pt
    QPR (a) 95th minute +1pt
    Sheff Wed (a) 95th minute -1pt
    Birmingham (a) 93rd minute -2pts
    Wigan (h) 93rd minute +1pt

Overall we dropped five points in added time this season. Just one more point would have seen us safe.

Birmingham sticks in the minds of a lot of people since it was the most recent. However I would like to nominate Sheff Wed (a) as the worst of the bunch.

Wednesday were one of only two teams to pick up less points than us in 2020 (the other being Hull). They won only four games since the turn of the year. The other three wins were all away from Hillsborough.
    I would say the Birmingham game. 

Only picked up 2 points in 15 odd games since February. Draws against Hull & us. They were truly truly dreadful after the re-start, letting in 3 goals in 5 consecutive home games......we could only score once. If there was 1 game you could bank on winning it was that one. We sat back for the last 15 mins & didn't get out of our own half. We basically relegated ourselves.

And to counter all that Barnsley got TWO 90+ minute winners in 2 consecutive games to give themselves an extra 4 points. Only  time they were out of the bottom 3 since September was Wednesday evening.
  • Options
    Did a bit of research a little while ago just before we came out of lockdown

We weren't the only side to benefit / suffer from 90th min goals - Its a bit like saying we deserved three penalties but because we didnt see Luton / Barnsley games they could have deserved more etc. 
  • Options
    Barnsley got  an injury time winner at the rusty toolbox
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's the price you pay for having a relatively short defence and goalkeeper.  

What is harder to calculate is how many points we gained from brilliant reflex saves or last ditch tackles by say Lockyer, which is the flipside to that lack of height?

The lesson is to recognise that we weren't set up to defend against balls lumped forward in desperation and to find another way to respond.
  • Options
    I would guess that the worse you are the more likely you are to concede late goals. Partially because weaker sides are more likely to concede goals anyway, but also because your likely to be knackered after chasing the ball for most of the match.  
  • Options
    Swings and roundabouts, ifs an ands . It doesn’t matter now . 
  • Options
    Hull at home, if I'm right, time was up when we were awarded a throw on the halfway line.
    It was thrown forward down the line where it fell to Gallagher. He had the opportunity to take the ball down the line, in which case another throw to us would be the most likely outcome. Instead he cut inside and was dispossessed.
    They then get a soft foul and the ball is played forward before eventually being headed in via the post and the back of Dillon's head.
    Stupid decisions and bad luck, which was a feature of our entire season.

• Options
    Hull at home, if I'm right, time was up when we were awarded a throw on the halfway line.
    It was thrown forward down the line where it fell to Gallagher. He had the opportunity to take the ball down the line, in which case another throw to us would be the most likely outcome. Instead he cut inside and was dispossessed.
    They then get a soft foul and the ball is played forward before eventually being headed in via the post and the back of Dillon's head.

Remember that. That pretty much summed our whole season up that goal 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is the one I was thinking about but I couldn’t remember the exact circumstances. It’s the stuff of nightmares.
  • Options
    The Birmingham goal. Did it not also hit Dillon on the heel, then the back of his head before sitting up beautifully for Jutkiewicz to nod over the line? 

The linesman who forgot about giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt, and the referee who changed his mind about what constituted a penalty at some point after the second minute against Reading are up there with the clown who gave Fulham that free kick.

(Before anyone says, no I will not fecking get over it) 

I agree the Wednesday goal was the worst of the lot. After all the hype about them not having scored since the Christmas decs were up, I knew, totally knew, we would bust their run, as we always do. But even I started to believe as the clock ticked into 95 minutes. 

It really is the hope that kills you. That's why I am no longer going to bother.     
  • Options
    The Birmingham goal. Did it not also hit Dillon on the heel, then the back of his head before sitting up beautifully for Jutkiewicz to nod over the line? 

The linesman who forgot about giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt, and the referee who changed his mind about what constituted a penalty at some point after the second minute against Reading are up there with the clown who gave Fulham that free kick.

I agree the Wednesday goal was the worst of the lot. After all the hype about them not having scored since the Christmas decs were up, I knew, totally knew, we would bust their run, as we always do. But even I started to believe as the clock ticked into 95 minutes. 

It really is the hope that kills you. That's why I am no longer going to bother.     
    Fecking get over it 😉
  • Options
    In 2015/16 I seem to recall a load of games where we took the lead and ended up losing/drawing due to late goals. Its something we like to do in relegation seasons apparently!
  • Options
    That's why teams get relegated.
  • Options
    It's all retribution following the last minute winner at Wembley. And the Barnsley efforts were just to rub salt into the wound. Horrible season (well, after the Derby 3-0 anyway).
  • Options
    The biggest problem for me was that we didn’t score enough goals. Most wins and defeats under Bowyer have been decided by a single goal. It’s down to the League 1 budget which resulted in a lack of attacking options with enough quality.
  • Options
    Last minute, first minute, 60th minute. 

All count the same 
  • Options
    Did a bit of research a little while ago just before we came out of lockdown

We weren't the only side to benefit / suffer from 90th min goals - Its a bit like saying we deserved three penalties but because we didnt see Luton / Barnsley games they could have deserved more etc. 
    What? Its nothing like that.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Last minute, first minute, 60th minute. 

All count the same 
    First minute you have lots of time to do something about it. Last minute & you're fucked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're thinking of Wigan's first goal... The Birmingham one was the one that trickled painfully over the line. 
  • Options

You're thinking of Wigan's first goal... The Birmingham one was the one that trickled painfully over the line. 
    Yes - thanks for putting me right. Horrendous luck anyway.