Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Tower

Anyone been watching this programme on Beeb 1?

I've seen a couple of snippets and it all just seems wrong to me - on all sorts of levels.

Comments

• Options
    Oh don't get me started. I had to turn over when the young woman and her dad were going round the £0.75m flat, as I was afraid I was going to throw something at the telly.

Did like the bit of graffiti saying "Regeneration is social cleansing" though.
  • Options
    made me laugh in a funny sort of way - especially the bit with the 2 young "ladies" from the construction company were egging it up saying that deptford was the last place in inner London to be re-energised & that in 20 yeras time you would hardly know the place.......yer right !

If i had 0,75m to spend on a pad smewhere I could think of many better places than the 25th floor of a tower block in depford.........it doesn't matter how much you spend on doing it up, it is still deptford.

As they say.......location,location,location.
  • Options
    I've just watched it and couldn't believe my old class-mate from school was on it!
  • Options
    I thought it was a comedy mockumentary.
  • Options
    What a bloody depressing programme - in many different ways.
  • Options
    harry hayward cracks me up -
  • Options
    You can see it from the train from Ldn Bridge just before you get into New Cross.

Looks clean and has new windows etc but still looks like a Tower Block.

The most depressing story of the whole lot is that of the landlord whose clients are all dying off and looks like the new posh lot wont be frequenting his establishment until its too late. He wont sell up because he feels a loyalty to all the old boys that still use the pub....You don't get that these days!!
  • Options
    Which pub was that Dan?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Which pub was that Dan?

Cant remember the name. Its the one on the left hand side of the high street about half way up. On the corner of the road leading into the estate.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dave - Looking at a pub guide map its either The John Evelyn or The Harp of Erin, but The John Evelyn rings more bells
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, it's the John Evelyn.

I was thinking about going down there to see if he's still there, but then quickly thought "f**K that - it's a hole round there!"
  • Options
    Also featured last night was our very own ex pie and mash shop, goddards, so this must have been filmed a little while back?
  • Options
    A lot of it was filmed in 2004, I know the bloke who sold the tower block to make Lewisham council some money, he's still proud of the job he did
  • Options
    pretty pointless show if you ask me!
  • Options
    I've never watched it, but that tower block looks like the same one I spent the first seven years of my life in. In fact, since I hear its set in Deptford, it may well BE the same one.

If it is, then its no surprise that - from the glances I have seen - it still looks like an abject shithole full of freaks, junkies and chavs. Utter, utter dump
  • Options
    There are some real issues about over development, and local people being forced out, quality of life, gap between rich and poor, urban poverty (sink estates) etc. Seems to be a bit overdramatised focussing on drug addict alcoholic and slightly lunatic older fella, tell me if I'm being unfair.
  • Options
    I can see your point B but it would make pretty dull TV if they focused on a normal group of people
  • Options
    Bet you the stairwell still stinks of p~ss, you never get rid of that.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    well if thats all that bothers one, one can switch over to BB, cripes what a load of old toss that is, got to be the last season, shirley??..
  • Options
    I think it is (was) called Daubeney Tower on the Pepys Estate, or is it now called something else??

I used to work for the Social in the 1980's and the beautiful Pepys Estate was part of our area. used to have to visit a lot of the scum (and a lot of decent people) on all the estates round there. It was an old GLC estate so somehow attracted all the worst London could create, GLC estates seemed to be particularly grim, think of Thamesmead as another fine example of 60's thought out social engineering.

I cant think what makes rational people (with a lot of money) want to live in Deptford, either the pepys or anywhere else in the area, but hey ho each to their own, I am happy to put up with my long commute for living in a 5 bed detached house two hundred yards from the beach in farthest Kent at a third of the price of a flat on the Pepys estate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Guess who the Thames Gateway housing is going to go to ?

It starting already London borough housing associations buying up land building new property for the big transfer of undesirable tenants from London.

Which is all good and dandy shame the roads are crap, transport links arecrap, not enough hospitals and doctors to cope, no jobs this planners and politians should have a day on sim city !!!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm with you on that Pete.

The 'Thames Gateway' will end up just like Thamesmead. Come to think of it, sooner or later we'll end up building the scumbags a private island in the Thames as we push them further and further out...

No...

Wait...

SHEPPEY!!!

Smash down the kingsferry, build a mahoosive wall round it, armed guards in machine gun towers and ship 'em all there. It'll be just like 'Escape From New York'.

Only not set in New York, and there won't be any escaping.
  • Options
    So it'll be like the Gaza Strip but more rain then?
  • Options
    Yeah i've seen quite a bit, really hating the foreign (israeli) lot who keep making comments like 'whats the crime rate round here' and ' in a few years it will be much more cleaner'.

I mean they come over and make their money over here , then they go and find a decent flat in a sh!t area, and they then have the cheek to make stuck up comments about where they are moving to.

I feel sorry for that druggy bloke , his mates leaving him soon. But yeah good programme showing the difference in the way people have ended up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]I feel sorry for that druggy bloke , his mates leaving him soon. But yeah good programme showing the difference in the way people have ended up.

I have nothing but comntempt for druggies like him to be honest. ANY DRUGGIES come to think of it. I mean injecting himself in the groin. Granted he did say he wants to get off the so maybe I am being harsh on him.

[cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I've never watched it, but that tower block looks like the same one I spent the first seven years of my life in. In fact, since I hear its set in Deptford, it may well BE the same one.

If it is, then its no surprise that - from the glances I have seen - it still looks like an abject shithole full of freaks, junkies and chavs. Utter, utter dump

yeah I spent 1st 3 years of my life from 70-73 don't remember a single minute of my time there obviously.
  • Options
    i think i lived in a tower block in sidcup when i was a kid. Rebecca Court?

should ask my parents really - they should know