Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams

Here's one for the statisticians. I noticed Jonny Williams is goalless after 40 odd games for us.  Who was the last non goalkeeper or defender to fail to notch after a similar number of games?

Will he, Hemed or McGeady find the net in the next two games cos cant see any of them being here next season.

Comments

• Options
    How long did it take Carlo to score his first?

Certainly seemed a long time. 

Chris Dickson failed to score in 27 I think and Barry Endean scored 1 in 27 both strikers.
  • Options
    I dont remember barry endean. Chris Dickson was poor which was a shame, I really wanted it to work out for him.
  • Options
    drewman said:
    I dont remember barry endean. Chris Dickson was poor which was a shame, I really wanted it to work out for him.
    Barry Endean, slow and ponderous. Couldn't anticipate or even read the game. 

He'd played for a pub side and got spotted. Signed by Watford in the Third Division where he had a prolific season, including famously scoring the winner against Man U in an FA Cup tie. Or something like that.

Signed for us ..... immediately Charltonised. Never looked like scoring.

• Options
    drewman said:
    Here's one for the statisticians. I noticed Jonny Williams is goalless after 40 odd games for us.  Who was the last non goalkeeper or defender to fail to notch after a similar number of games?

Will he, Hemed or McGeady find the net in the next two games cos cant see any of them being here next season.
    Has Cullen scored for us?
  • Options
    drewman said:

Once this season, and I’m sure he scored at least one last season too.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    drewman said:

Yep, a penalty vs west brom to rescue a point
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The lack of goals from midfield has been a major problem for us since we lost Gallagher

Williams is an ATTACKING midfielder, he should he getting into the box and scoring regularly, like Gallagher did and Aribo did last season.
    Jonny's got some great attributes but goalscoring has never been one of them. It's a bit much to expect him to flick a switch and suddenly become a finisher.
  • Options
    3 goals in 158 career games for an attacking midfielder tells me he isn’t an attacking midfielder.

A goal every 53 games.

• Options
    I can't see how he'll ever score.
    His strategy is to run with the ball for about 5 seconds and fall down as soon as someone makes contact.
    I said when he joined that's what they do in Rugby League.
    Drive forward a few yards, get tackled & then they pass the ball between their legs I think?
    It looked exactly like that yesterday and there was even the wriggling and looking to move the ball quickly on but being stopped by the oppo .
    he makes zaha look like the most honest upright footballer ever , he literally is trying to hit the deck every time and the ref cottoned on to it at brum 
  • Options
    In fairness he was very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet on Wednesday with a diving header, I know that doesn't really count for anything at the end of the day but he's certainly been in good positions to score at least
  • Options
    The lack of goals from midfield has been a major problem for us since we lost Gallagher

Williams is an ATTACKING midfielder, he should he getting into the box and scoring regularly, like Gallagher did and Aribo did last season.
    Jonny's got some great attributes but goalscoring has never been one of them. It's a bit much to expect him to flick a switch and suddenly become a finisher.
    He's not a 35 year old, he's still young enough to be improving, especially when being coached by Bowyer and Jackson, who both knew how to get into the box from midfield

Unless he can deliver more end product, he's in danger of being seen as a luxury player
  • Options
    Williams made 5 assists in his first 5 matches at the beginning of this season.

Was it the Gallagher/Taylor factor?  Or perhaps there's little off ball movement from team mates.  I know he missed a big chunk of mid-season with injury, but we've seen few if any assists (or key goal involvement) since.

Why have William's assists dried up?

• Options
    Williams is a bewildering player. 

I often hear that he "scares the opposition to death" and that "he is a game changer".  Last year's Play-Off Final is usually quoted as the best example.

But I see very little end product (crosses, through balls, shots on goal).  Like truffles and quail's eggs, he is a luxury that I don't really want.

• Options
    Never really got the same player back when he eventually returned from injury this season, he's really struggled to build up a consistent run of games since coming back (don't think getting taken out by Bonne in training helped that at all). 

Losing Gallagher definitely didn't help either as it seems to have resulted in him playing a lot deeper than would be expected from a CAM, and anything he does gets snuffed out on the halfway line by the opposition. Compare that to say the Fulham away game where he was able to get into the box with the ball at his feet and cause trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Williams made 5 assists in his first 5 matches at the beginning of this season.

Was it the Gallagher/Taylor factor?  Or perhaps there's little off ball movement from team mates.  I know he missed a big chunk of mid-season with injury, but we've seen few if any assists (or key goal involvement) since.

Why have William's assists dried up?

Because we cant score
  • Options

But surely as an attacking midfielder he should do better than 1 goal in just over Fifty odd games 3 in 158 games now. Average play time per match I think is something like 48 mins as a 26 year old he should be running around all match, reminds me a bit of Tony Watt bags of talent with little end product.If the forwards are not scoring someone has to chip in.
  • Options
    drewman said:

Away at Gillingham last season and a penalty away at WBA this season IIRC.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    alicwkd said:
    His lack of goals is a worry but he provides a type of creativity, maybe flair is the right word, that we dont really get from anyone else. The ability to actually produce something different or unexpected. We have several tidy passers but you still need that sudden burst of skill or speed to open teams up.

His dribbling ability and flair draws players to him which creates space for others. He also gets us up the pitch by beating people and winning fouls which is crucial. Every team needs ball carriers and he and Doughty are our only ones really. 

His pre-assist for the goal last night was also brilliant. Williams has to start when available IMO.
    Pre-assist?  Bloody Hell ... how far back do we go now?

We'll be giving credit to whoever inflated the ball next. 
    They are a very real thing and are the reason why players like Carrick/ Xavi/ Modric etc are so highly rated. They are often the ones to play a creative pass into an attacking player who then sets up someone to score. If you only looked at said players goal/ assist stats you would come to the conclusion that they were useless. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    alicwkd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    alicwkd said:
    His lack of goals is a worry but he provides a type of creativity, maybe flair is the right word, that we dont really get from anyone else. The ability to actually produce something different or unexpected. We have several tidy passers but you still need that sudden burst of skill or speed to open teams up.

His dribbling ability and flair draws players to him which creates space for others. He also gets us up the pitch by beating people and winning fouls which is crucial. Every team needs ball carriers and he and Doughty are our only ones really. 

His pre-assist for the goal last night was also brilliant. Williams has to start when available IMO.

They are a very real thing and are the reason why players like Carrick/ Xavi/ Modric etc are so highly rated. They are often the ones to play a creative pass into an attacking player who then sets up someone to score. If you only looked at said players goal/ assist stats you would come to the conclusion that they were useless. 
    I just googled Xavi

212 club assists
    24 International assists

Not at all useless
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Bored my CAFC chat group with this stat during the Birmingham game. Our midfield has scored 11 goals all season, 6 of them scored by Gallagher.

Apart from him, the rest of our midfielders have contributed goals:
    Pratley (2); Lapslie (1); Cullen (1); Doughty (1). 

Our defence has contributed 7:
    Naby (3); Purrington (2); Lockyer (1); Pearce (1)

I think this goes some way to explaining our current predicament. Strange - weren't Bowyer and Jacko goalscoring midfielders in their day?!!

• Options
    alicwkd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    alicwkd said:

I just googled Xavi

212 club assists
    24 International assists

Not at all useless
    Ok, bad example. I should have said Busquets instead. My point is that there is more to being a creative player than just goal and assist numbers.