Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer the new Powell?

Seems like a lot of complaints about 'game management' from the Powell era is rearing its head again with Bowyer. 

Is it just a Charlton thing where we sit back after going 1-0 and conceding. Or is it a management problem?

Comments

• As much as I love Bowyer and still 100% back him, this has happened time and time again this season. December ring a few bells for anyone? 
  • I think managers are tempted to do it to see the game out. That’s just natural. 

How many times have we tried and failed to do this season though? 
  • Flat 4-4-2, get it wide, get crosses in. Yes, it's been that way for awhile. 
  • We didnt sit back though did we?

Bonne had a carbon copy effort and McGeady hit the post
    That’s a load of rubbish. Whether you want to dig Bowyer out or not, let’s not pretend we didn’t make defensive substitutions and hang on for 1-0
  • Dropped too many points this season, let alone during the 9 cup finals Due to sitting back and trying to soak up pressure! 

To be 4 minutes away from a vital win, and go back allowing so much play in your own third is criminal 
  • I think managers are tempted to do it to see the game out. That’s just natural. 

How many times have we tried and failed to do this season though? 
    Also most of the teams we play have better players than us and actually force us back as opposed to us choosing to sit back. 

That's not why we didn't win tonight.  2 players on the line didn't show enough desire to stop that going in. 

That’s a load of rubbish. Whether you want to dig Bowyer out or not, let’s not pretend we didn’t make defensive substitutions and hang on for 1-0
    Yeah sorry for throwing a few facts in there... What was I thinking of!!
  • Sponsored links:

Defensive subs, dropped points, down we go. Few more facts there for you. 
  • Sit back??? We hit the post and had a goal saved on the line. 
    If it were only this game I might believe you. 

Constantly this season we've dropped points right at the end of games after defensive substitutions. 
  • Happens far far far too much for it to be coincidence or bad luck.

Its demoralising for the players as well as the fans.

Watched the build up to the Burnley game earlier and they were talking about how small Burnley’s squad is but how little subs Dyche makes. He just has excellent game management, proven time and time again.

Defensive subs, dropped points, down we go. Few more facts there for you. 
    Is that a fact, seems you dont have a clue what it means
  • We’re absolute fracking dog turd at hanging on, everybody knows this and yet it’s the go-to tactic....

I’m starting to have fond memories of the patented Karel Fraeye 6-left backs and spread out season....
  • There was a team in blue also on the pitch.

Sometimes the other team attacks and forces us to defend.
    Naaaah their job is to get out the way whenever we need them to
  • There was a team in blue also on the pitch.

Sometimes the other team attacks and forces us to defend.
    But it just happens to us all the time. All well and good giving the other team credit, but half the time it’s just a soft goal. 
  • We were close to survival, you can’t blame bowyer for putting on sarr for mcgeady. Ultimately it was the wrong call.

shame we didn’t have anyone with lace to bring on and leave up top out wide instead
  • Sponsored links:

• Sit back??? We hit the post and had a goal saved on the line. 
    Wasn't that before the changes? 
  • Talal said:
    Sit back??? We hit the post and had a goal saved on the line. 
    Yes
  • Talal said:
    Yes
    Which proves the point. We were still creating chances until the subs. 
  • Birmingham are really, really mediocre. They've conceded three at home in their last however many games. It's really hard not to look at that first half and all but 10-15 minutes of the second half as an awful display. They got two balls into the box in the final 15 minutes and one Crawley controlled brilliantly and found space between three players. And the other was allowed to roll across, get flicked on, and we were slow to react to both. 
  • Former players as managers don't last long at a club like Charlton.
    Curbs did ok 
  • Talal said:
    Yes
    Which proves the point. We were still creating chances until the subs. 
    I’m agreeing with you. I do understand the making subs when players are tired but Bowyer seems to be in a cycle of making them cos he can. This ‘back to the walls’ has been the downfall before and it’s happened again. It’s so difficult for players to come on and pick up the pace and their defensive duties straight away. Especially making multiple subs. Also disrupts the organisation of players already out there. I just don’t agree with it.
    Curbishley. I do t need to type anything else