Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Abbey Wood, local advice

Looking at moving soon, and buying my first property, and Abbey Wood has been suggested a few times. Fairly affordable at the minute, and with Crossrail coming (someday) it looks good on paper, but was hoping for some views on what the area is like in general.

Seem to remember someone doing similar for Kidbrooke, so any insight will be appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Grew up on the co-op estate.

Left as soon as I could but it's better than Croydon, easy trip to the Valley, transport good to central London.
  • Options
    I live in nearby West Thamesmead. Another area people say is a ‘no-go’, but really no issues at all. 

Not much in terms of a high street or anything like that in Abbey Wood - but it has a big Sainsbury’s and a few shops. Don’t think it’s a bad idea to move there if you’re going for your first property.
  • Options
    Upper Abbey wood is ok. 
  • Options
    Depends on what side of the railway lines you’re looking at. McLeod Road side isn’t too bad. Eynsham side I’d probably avoid although property has been rising there.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Depends on what side of the railway lines you’re looking at. McLeod Road side isn’t too bad. Eynsham side I’d probably avoid although property has been rising there.
    Agree, although there is trouble both sides it's more prominent Eynsham side.

Unfortunately when they shipped those out the Ferrier estate they were scattered around the Abbeywood area. 
  • Options
    Got family that live there. Up the hill past the woods from the station. It's very nice up there and reasonably affordable.
  • Options
    I don’t go there much these days but was known as Scabby Wood growing up. 
  • Options
    Towards Belvedere better. Stay south of the railway line and as far up the hill as you can afford. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I live in Abbey Wood, have done all my life to be honest, McLeod Road side not Eynsham Drive side.

It’s got better over the years, lots of new builds and development work being done around the area, going in line with Crossrail when it gets here.

You have a Sainsbury’s at the station, and an ASDA and Morrison’s only 5 minutes away too. Oh and Lidl and Aldi if you shop in them also.

I’ve lived here all my life as I’ve said, and am quite happy. You get trouble everywhere but the McLeod Road side, closer to Bostall Heath, is far, far quieter and nicer than the other side.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The pub by the station has undergone a Northbrookesque transformation. 
  • Options
    Upper Abbey wood at the top of Knee Hill is nice, lower Abbey Wood not so nice!  
  • Options
    Got family that live there. Up the hill past the woods from the station. It's very nice up there and reasonably affordable.
    It’s where I grew up. I remember watching the Blair witch project, having beers after and then going looking for it in the woods when I got home.

i also saw a ghost monk down by the abbey.....good times.
  • Options
    See I’d class that as Bexleyheath 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Looking at moving soon, and buying my first property, and Abbey Wood has been suggested a few times. Fairly affordable at the minute, and with Crossrail coming (someday) it looks good on paper, but was hoping for some views on what the area is like in general.

Seem to remember someone doing similar for Kidbrooke, so any insight will be appreciated!

Cheers
    What sort of budget for a first time by?
  • Options

West Heath isn't it, strictly speaking? 
  • Options
    I was brought up in Abbey Wood (lived round the corner from HI) & even went to the infamous Abbey Wood Comp from 1971 to 1976. Agree with other comments that the area between the rail line & bostall woods (the old coop estate) is the better area. Good train & bus services and some decent sized terrace houses available. Most of the local pubs that were around have long gone and the remaining Abbey Arms is now a gastro pub (Harry Starbuck Wouldn't had been happy).  Much better area than Plumstead & Lower Belvedere.
  • Options
    Its nearer Belvedere than Bexleyheath, but is Upper Abbey wood
  • Options
    I spent eight very happy years from 1968 in Glenview, near Bostall Heath. Like a few others, I went to Abbey Wood School.
    Far fewer cars back then but it is still a relatively pleasant, green part of SE2. Our garden and many others had a lot of fruit trees as the area used to be orchards. Gardens were long too. We played endless football and cricket on the health. If you have sporty children, the heath is priceless.
  • Options
    Its in Bexley borough, the bottom of the hill is Greenwich 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Kidbrooke as Lower Blackheath.
  • Options
    Riscardo said:
    Upper Abbey Wood lol

Ok, I’ll correct myself. I have it that everything east of Brampton Rd down to the Woolwich Rd is Bexleyheath. West of Brampton Rd is Welling. Once you take the Knee (Hill) then you’re Abbey Wood 
  • Options
    Upper Abbey Wood, is that North Thamesmead ? 😉
  • Options
    My child bride and I moved to Abbeywood in 1976 - and it was the 'wrong side' of the railway.  We had no chance of securing a property in our manor of Bromley and jumped at the chance of owning a small modern house, despite the fearsome reputation of Thamesmead.  

We never encountered any real problems in the 6 years spent there.  The station was close by and you could almost spit on a footbridge that took you over the railway and  into the woods, which was nice.

I must admit though.  On one occasion me and a mate got off the train following a Charlton game and headed to the aforementioned Abbey Arms for a crafty beer.   Before we finished our pints, a massive fight broke out, seemingly in every corner, and not football related.  It was nothing short of a cowboy scene.  My undying memory though is of the old chap on the piano who started playing 'Two lovely black eyes'.  Classy.

From google maps.  The corner house on the right.  Mind you didn't come cheap at nearly 12K! 

• Options
    I was brought up in Amberley Road at the top of Knee Hill & went to school at Picardy. it borders Bexleyheath, Belvedere & Abbey wood. Actually used to say I was from Belvedere as it seemed more so than Abbey Wood!  Nice area though! 
  • Options
    I was brought up in Amberley Road at the top of Knee Hill & went to school at Picardy. it borders Bexleyheath, Belvedere & Abbey wood. Actually used to say I was from Belvedere as it seemed more so than Abbey Wood!  Nice area though! 
    I might have been your paper boy. I’m still waiting for my Christmas tip!
  • Options
    Knew somebody who lived in a big posh house in Chislehurst, Gated drive big enough for 5 cars, only problem was they lived right next door to a Proper Gangster, and it was a nightmare for them.

Yet i have mates that lived in Abbey Wood, Plumstead, Thamesmead, and they wouldnt live anywhere else.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Agree, although there is trouble both sides it's more prominent Eynsham side.

Unfortunately when they shipped those out the Ferrier estate they were scattered around the Abbeywood area. 

Oi ! we are not all like that .  
  • Options
    Slightly off-topic, anti-aircraft gun emplacements visible on Clam Field, adjacent to West Heath, visible on this map, and now part of the the area's extensive green spaces.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=16.74160448146743&lat=51.48007&lon=0.12064&layers=170&b=1&r=42

• Options
    Riscardo said:
    Upper Abbey Wood lol

Ok, I’ll correct myself. I have it that everything east of Brampton Rd down to the Woolwich Rd is Bexleyheath. West of Brampton Rd is Welling. Once you take the Knee (Hill) then you’re Abbey Wood 
    Gipsy Road follows the Welling/Bexleyheath border.  Barrington, Fairlawn and Holmesdalen are all Bexleyheath.  Northdown, Stevedale, Sutcliffe and Elsa are all Welling.

(And there's JBs nostalgic look back at his childhood circa 1982-2001 :)

Now I 'assume' Bexleyheath follows Gipsy Road, Oakhampton Cres to the roundabout and then back doen Brampton and along the south of Long Lane all the way to the bus garage.  Presum every North and East of Oakhampton Cres roundabout with Brampton and North of Long Lane is Bedonwell and Belvedere?

Almost want to get out a map and take a geeky look lol