Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best And Worst Loan Players

Given that Josh Cullen and Sam Field, two loan players, have shown more commitment to the cause than our own supposed talisman, I wondered who people regard as our best and worst loan players.

I don't remember this being done before but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

Comments

• Best - Alex Song
    Worst - Blimey so many. Rhys Williams was ridiculous, the guy's career was effectively over and we signed him.
  • Obviously there was a lot of loan rubbish in the Roland era, I would be interested in others thoughts on worst loans outside of that.

Dan Seaborne is one that springs to my mind
  • I remember watching Tresor Kandol and knew we were going down. I travelled the best part of 200miles, Barnsley away, both teams struggling and Kandol and Chris Dickson were playing up front. It stands out for me (despite it being a terrible 0-0 stalemate) because to this day I don't know what I was thinking. I must have been a lot more optimistic a decade ago!
  • Off the top of my head, surely one of the best loan signings was Scott Carson

As for the worst, how long is a piece of string..............
  • Costa Carson Song Coquelin.  We've had some good ones.
    Did Thuram count as a Loan 
  • Wasn't Jackson a loan originally?  Worked out OK, that one. 
  • Surprised el-khalej hasn't been mentioned yet. Looked like he had won a competition to play
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    Surprised el-khalej hasn't been mentioned yet. Looked like he had won a competition to play
    According to wiki the ever reliable source he wasnt a loan

We signed him on a 6 month deal and after leaving us never played football again lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahar_El_Khalej
  • Worst: Conor McAleney is still the only professional footballer I have seen catch a ball on a pitch to take a quick throw but had not let it actually go off the pitch first so gave away a hand ball.  For that one action alone he is the worst.

Best: Costa.  Imperious.
  • McBobbin said:
    Surprised el-khalej hasn't been mentioned yet. Looked like he had won a competition to play

We signed him on a 6 month deal and after leaving us never played football again lol

I stand corrected. Thought he was a loan from Southampton. 
  • Conquelin was so good! Frimpong came to much expectation but didn’t deliver.
  • Best: Scott Carson | Alex Song | Zhi Zheng | Josh Cullen | Krystian Bielik | Yoni Buyens | Conor Gallagher | Sam Field | Nathan Byrne | Jay Dasilva | Francis Coquelin

Worst: Matt Smith | David Davis | Joe Dodoo | Sullay Kaikai | Conor McAleny | Anil Koc | Marcus Tudgay | Davide Petrucci | Yohann Thuram | Eggert Jonsson | Abdul Razak | Franck Nouble | Gary Borrowdale | Danny Butterfield | Danny Mills | Rhys Williams

I honestly believe that from our first season in the Championship (after being relegated from the Premier League) until the season when Chris Powell came in, all our loan players were just awful, plain awful that made fans wince whenever we signed a loan player because we instantly knew they were going to be a crock of shite - Under Roland and the network we actually got some good loans in like Buyens and Bulot but under Robinson (less so) and Bowyer the use of the loan market really has been used to our benefit, similar to a way that got Huddersfield promoted to the Premier League where you're not just filling the loan slots for the sake of it but because the players can make an actual difference

There are a good few players I've left out like Tresor Kandol | Akpo Sodje etc. because I dont think they were poor loans, yet just poor players in general

Same with the likes of Stephy Mavididi or Zyro, neither were bad loan signings as both made contributions when they were here... They just weren't outstanding either
    I'd add Alexi Smertin to your good list. And didn't we buy Zheng Zhi not loan him...?

• Best: Scott Carson | Alex Song | Zhi Zheng | Josh Cullen | Krystian Bielik | Yoni Buyens | Conor Gallagher | Sam Field | Nathan Byrne | Jay Dasilva | Francis Coquelin

Worst: Matt Smith | David Davis | Joe Dodoo | Sullay Kaikai | Conor McAleny | Anil Koc | Marcus Tudgay | Davide Petrucci | Yohann Thuram | Eggert Jonsson | Abdul Razak | Franck Nouble | Gary Borrowdale | Danny Butterfield | Danny Mills | Rhys Williams

I honestly believe that from our first season in the Championship (after being relegated from the Premier League) until the season when Chris Powell came in, all our loan players were just awful, plain awful that made fans wince whenever we signed a loan player because we instantly knew they were going to be a crock of shite - Under Roland and the network we actually got some good loans in like Buyens and Bulot but under Robinson (less so) and Bowyer the use of the loan market really has been used to our benefit, similar to a way that got Huddersfield promoted to the Premier League where you're not just filling the loan slots for the sake of it but because the players can make an actual difference

There are a good few players I've left out like Tresor Kandol | Akpo Sodje etc. because I dont think they were poor loans, yet just poor players in general

Same with the likes of Stephy Mavididi or Zyro, neither were bad loan signings as both made contributions when they were here... They just weren't outstanding either
    I'd add Alexi Smertin to your good list. And didn't we buy Zheng Zhi not loan him...?

Zheng Zhi was originally with us on loan
  • Going back, David Whyte was a decent loan signing, while John Hendry scored the winner as we beat Millwall in 1992!
  • Smertin was absolute mustard.
  • Costa by a country mile the best with Song and Carson a close 2nd/3rd.

Worst needs bit more thought, theres been many!
  • I know I am way in the minority here, but I thought Costa was  an ok defender but not this defensive colossus that everyone else thought.  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2020
    John Hendry. Only scored one goal nearly 30 years ago, but (sadly) one of my favourite players because of it.
  • Keith Gillespie, came with a wealth of experience but looked completely dis interested and got injuried.

Cant believe he's only 45, I thought he was 37ish when he was on loan 
  • McBobbin said:

You could argue he stopped before he joined, not after. 

Cheers I missed Smertin when I went through the seasons
  •  Best- Alan Mcdonald, Jay Dasilva, Scott Carson,Krystian Belik, Conor Gallagher, Josh Cullen,Alex Song & Francis Coquelin

Worst- Tresor Kandol, Rhys Williams, Yohann Thuram & Joe Dodoo
  • Wasn't Chris Perry originally a loan swap with konch?

Neil Heany was a key loan signing, not the
    greatest player ever but was vital in the run in.

Costa is the best player we have ever had on loan but that's a very different question.

Cullen must have the most appearances?

Worst?  I haven't got the time or the energy to narrow it down to ten, let alone one. 
  • Scott Sinclair was total cack. Jim Stannard played one game in goal for us. Lost 4-1 at home to Cardiff. March/April 1985. Disastrous. Took my future wife as 3  days earlier we had come back from three goals down to beat Barnsley 5-3.
  • Bielik might be a sentimental choice but for 5-6 games towards the end of last season, he was brilliant.  His performance against Luton is one of the best midfield performances I’ve ever seen.

Song for me as the outright best- very nearly rescued a dreadful premier league midfield that year.
  • MrOneLung said:
    I know I am way in the minority here, but I thought Costa was  an ok defender but not this defensive colossus that everyone else thought.  
    I wasn't that big a fan for the first couple of weeks, thought he was called the tank due to being slow and having the turning circle of, well, a tank.

Then realised he was in the right place at the right time so often it didn't matter.