Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Reading | Post-match thread | 11/07/2020

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for having us champ.

• Options
    Hmm, for for the first time this season I feel like we’re going down. As soon as they scored 2 minutes in we knew we weren’t winning that match. We just can’t score. Our start gave us a bit of a false positive, but ultimately we’ve come back defensively solid mostly, minus a left back, and entirely reliant on keeping it tight and scoring from a set piece. Even Pratley’s goal against QPR needs to go down as a goalkeeping error. Reading was a game we needed to have pencilled in as a win even before all the teams around us started winning every week, and we’ve failed. Confidence can’t be high after today and hints could start to look very dark when the rest of today’s results are confirmed. We’ve now put ourselves in a position of probably needing to win 2 of our last 3 games. Great. 
  • Options
    ‪Need VAR in the Championship. 2 shocking decisions against us, could be the difference between us staying up and going down. Only reason the EFL don’t want it is because it would highlight how shit the officials are. 
    Three shocking decisions - I'm baffled why people dont think the tug on Matthews arm wasnt a penalty
  • Options
    Don't see what McGeady brings. We are down. No quality up front whatsoever. Hemed comes on has 2 touches and falls over and handballs it. Sum up our forwards. Bonne no comment.  Need goals from Midfield and Williams has never scored for us and Cullen can't shoot. Lee please don't bring Doughty on chasing the game. We need to go out and attack from the off.  I need to not bother. Puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the weekend. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Referee was Darren Bond.
    What a game to shine in! Comfortable winners another day. 
  • Options
    Positive is we're in every game, negative is we just don't look like scoring. Birmingham is a must win game now. I'd start Field Cullen and Caskey together. 
    Problem is , every game has been a must win... and we still can’t score for toffee! 

Midfield looks bereft of ideas, whilst the striking options are awful! 

Aneke must be one of the worst players for Attacking the high ball- leads with his arms and give away so many fouls - useless 

Bonne looks lost, as did Pratley today and the less said about Oshilaja the better! 

Even Williams looked bored and not his usual self - he needs to be starting! 

Defence barring Oshilaja looks solid but get caught out when there’s no movement or passes to be made in front of them- Lockyer too many times got caught out when he has no one to play to and has to play backwards.

mcgeady started bright and progressively got less interested , where as Cullen has to do everything in midfield! 

We have to now take the game to Birmingham , no use sitting back and no use lumping it forward! 

Start with Williams and hemed, purrington and Doherty and we may just nick the points! 

We look done and dusted, and looking at the table - Wigan’s point deduction looks worthless as they won’t be relegated by it! 

For as good as this division is, for competitiveness - it’s bloody dross 
  • Options

I expect Bowyer, Jacko, or Marshall to give the ref a punch in the tunnel. We had chances we should have scored, but fuck me the ref's have fucked us

Its not over yet, but the next 3 aren't gonna be easier than that

• Options
    Getting no points from the last 3 games is not a fair reflection of the play overall. However, we have not come back from behind to win all season. Unless one of our strikers hits form we are down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So upset... Never been so angry... Yes the ref fucked is but we were not incisive enough... Fair play to the commentary they all said we were not looking for the ball enough. 

It's looking grim unless Wigan hit self destruct... Sheffield get relegated and we get something at Brum/Wigan....

However my fellow Addicks seeing El Kashovy and Elliott in the stands was a little reminder that we are still in the shit off the field!

If someone said we'd be relegated but have PV/Barclay as owners so we could but players and not have a gazillion loan players I'd take it.

• Options
    Deserved a point, nothing more. Would like to see the offside looking across the line as I feel he was slightly off. Not convinced the Forster Caskey one was a pen but need to see it again. In big trouble now.
    I wish I believed this as it would make the loss much easier to take.
  • Options
    Could've played for an extra 90 mins and we wouldn't have scored. I think that's going to be the case for the rest of the season worryingly as I can't see where our goals are going to come from. Today had the feel of the Robinson years where we have a lot of the ball but no end-product. As soon as an attack starts, you know that nothing will come from it as we just don't have the quality up top to actually get the ball in the net.

Painful to watch and with the way results have been going recently, and Charlton's track record of constantly letting you down barring the odd season here and there, I think that's us done. We'll be relying on others getting a point deduction for any chance of survival.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Anyone who says we didn’t do well today knows nothing about football. We destroyed Reading. Had a legal goal disallowed, clear pen not given, 16 shots to their 4 and totally deserved the win. Michael Morrison carried their defence. 

We play like that against Birmingham and we win.

The ref and linos deserved to be sacked after that. So So gutted.
    That was the biggest frustration from our play... Every ball into the box was lofted in so it was perfect for Morrison to deal with

The one time Morrison was challenged on the floor was by Aneke in the first half and he couldnt deal with him
  • Options
    Good game for us. Scored two goals and conceded one.

Just do the same again on Wednesday and we should be safe.
  • Options
    Oshilaja shouldn’t be tackling like that in his own box. 
    Bonne looks non league. 
    Chucks can’t stay onside. 
    We are toothless and can’t score - we will go down. 
  • Options
    ‪Need VAR in the Championship. 2 shocking decisions against us, could be the difference between us staying up and going down. Only reason the EFL don’t want it is because it would highlight how shit the officials are. 
    Three shocking decisions - I'm baffled why people dont think the tug on Matthews arm wasnt a penalty
    It would have been given had he not  gone overboard with it.
    His overacting probably convinced the ref not to give it. 
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/CAFCofficial/status/1281943544341712897
    Who runs our twitter account? Fed up with every week there being excuses. What can you say? How about giving away a needless penalty, Bonne out of his depth and a poor team selection again
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Unless one of our strikers hits form we are down.
    Well that's that then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 big decisions from the officials. One they got right for their penalty, 2 they got wrong for the offside goal and our penalty.

Other than that, really deflating. We looked good after the 1st half water break and at the start of the second half, but after that was very disappointing. Too much lumping the ball into the box instead of trying to play football. Doughty and Williams looked really good together, yet that fizzled out. 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Could've played for an extra 90 mins and we wouldn't have scored. I think that's going to be the case for the rest of the season worryingly as I can't see where our goals are going to come from. Today had the feel of the Robinson years where we have a lot of the ball but no end-product. As soon as an attack starts, you know that nothing will come from it as we just don't have the quality up top to actually get the ball in the net.

Painful to watch and with the way results have been going recently, and Charlton's track record of constantly letting you down barring the odd season here and there, I think that's us done. We'll be relying on others getting a point deduction for any chance of survival.
    we did score ffs
  • Options
    Maybe because it was Foster Caskey !
  • Options
    Id rather have seen sarr go up front than bonne or hemed. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ct_addick said:
    Maybe because it was Foster Caskey !
    Well you've just made yourself look stupid havent you!! - Matthews ran into the box earlier in the second half, Reading player pulled his arm back nothing given

To be fair Matthews didnt go down but to the referees I say this: PLAYERS SHOULD HAVE TO, you endorse diving by taking that approach
  • Options
    Obviously the refereeing was dreadful, but hard to blame that when we look so toothless although obviously it's not good enough and 1 point could be all the difference.

I am still 100% behind Bowyer, but it is really disappointing how we've regressed from such great football at the beginning of the season, to this aimless low percentage football we are doing now. Also tied into that, is how he doesn't trust Morgan who gives us the chance to play that football and was probably one of our best players first half. Doughty constantly comes on and looks bright but isn't trusted to actually start. 

Putting three big strikers upfront, without the midfield to actually provide service to them is just completely desperate. What is the point of Williams and Oztumer if we play like that?

It wasn't Bonne's best day, but I still believe he's got something about him. Hemed was utterly pointless when he came on, but have some sympathy that when you have 3 strikers they are all just wanting the same space. Aneke was the best of them today, but unfortunately I think he is best suited as a bit of an impact player rather than someone we can rely on.

In summary, if we go down lets at least be brave about it