Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comet Neowise

Anyone here woken up early to catch it in the pre dawn sky? I set my alarm for 4.30am the other day, only to find the sky had clouded over in the night. But I plan to try again next week. First naked-eye visible comet since Hale-Bopp back in 1997 (I think).
If it doesn't break up, I read it will make an appearance in the evening sky towards the end of the month, but these things are a bit fragile. It may have disintegrated by then.
Happy sky gazing.

Comments

• Hope to be able to see it, if it's visible past the neighbour's house and the light-noise from endless unnecessary garden lights doesn't get in the way. SE England isn't always the most conducive location for astronomy.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/how-to-see-comet-c-2020-f3-neowise/
  • Yeah, dark skies are recommended. It's a bit wispy by all accounts.
  • Nicky Bailey's penalty: stuff of legends.

And, look ..... the ball, there it is!

• Just caught it in the telescope. Low in the horizon at 10pm (UK time) and not a good sky, but I'm chuffed now. Been a while since I saw anything like that. The tail is long and in the telescope, you can see the nucleus bit. 
    Gonna go and check Jupiter and Saturn now.
  • Just caught it in the telescope. Low in the horizon at 10pm (UK time) and not a good sky, but I'm chuffed now. Been a while since I saw anything like that. The tail is long and in the telescope, you can see the nucleus bit. 
    Gonna go and check Jupiter and Saturn now.
    Don't bother, I can confirm they are still there.
  • I think the 23rd is going to be the peak day to view it, depending where you are it should be visible with the naked eye.
  • PopIcon said:
    I think the 23rd is going to be the peak day to view it, depending where you are it should be visible with the naked eye.
    Don't forget to remind us on the 23rd!  

• Sponsored links:

• Don't wait. I've missed all sorts of stuff in the heavens when they unexpectedly clouded over at the last minute.
  • Don't wait. I've missed all sorts of stuff in the heavens when they unexpectedly clouded over at the last minute.
    Yeah, so true ....... I remember the total eclipse of the sun down here in Cornwall, back in 1999.

For several days before, clear blue skies. Wake up on the morning of the eclipse ..... cloudy. Anyway, bang on schedule at 11 am the birds started singing, the street lights came on and it got dark.

Ten minutes later, the street lights went off and the birds went through their 2nd dawn chorus of the morning and daylight returned - just as the clouds finally broke and blue skies belatedly appeared.

You couldn't make it up. Story of my life.
  • Apparently you can see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and comet Neowise in the sky together for the next couple of days, 4.30am is the best time to spot all of them together if you're willing!
  • sam3110 said:
    Apparently you can see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and comet Neowise in the sky together for the next couple of days, 4.30am is the best time to spot all of them together if you're willing!
    ISS was bright as a button over London last night as well.
  • The horizon is very hazy here in Spain in the evening, which  I guess is a combination of heat and sea air. So while I keep hearing what a great view you get of Neowise with the naked eye, here it's very much a telescope/binoculars thing. 
    Mind you I found a Messier object, M71, by accident. Been nice to get out exploring the night sky again.
  • Wasn't Comet Neowise one of Bilbow Baggin's mates?